It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Raid Sirens - Minneapolis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So, I know they test these in Minnesota every first Wednesday of the month at noon. Tonight I am hearing them go off, it's 7 pm on Thursday, April 23rd. I looked at the sky right away out of instinct (I know, useless).. anyway yeah no Russian bombers or large missile like objects apparent.

Anyone here have any insight as to what is going on with this? It kind of made me panic because it is off the regular schedule.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dedalive

You could call your local authorities, they should be able to give you an answer.

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Im in MN and I remember hearing on NPR that today is "tornado awareness day". But you are right.... could be a cover for something. Personally I think the tests create the cry wolf scenario. Most people will never react to them.
We are desensitized.

Minnesota conducts two Tornado drills on Thursday April 23, 2009. The first drill is statewide at 1:45 p.m. to allow schools, business, hospitals and other organizations to practice their emergency plans.
The 2nd drill is at 6:55 p.m. in participating counties and is held to allow families and 2nd shift workers to also practice their plans.

[edit on (4/23/09) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

The tornado thing makes sense I guess. hadn't heard about that. And yeah I know what you mean. I looked at the sky, walked in and made a thread. Real effective warning system lol. If there ever was a real air raid, I don't think those sirens would do a whole lot of good. Anyway, I didn't think something was being covered up or whatever, I am just ignorant to what is going on. Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yeah, I heard them as well here in Eagan, MN. It's a reminder that spring is here, along with spring and summer stormy weather. They were a little late in setting them off at 1:30PM today. I think the other went off at around 7:00PM. BTW, what a beautiful warm day today, feels like spring is finally really here. Soon the trees will have their green leaves and everything will look like it's alive once again.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by Divinorumus]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

That's pretty sensible to give them two times to practice since their are a lot of people who fall outside of the 9 to 5 slot. Some parts of Florida have reactivated their sirens from World War II for this but not all of the towns have them. We have had catastrophic tornadoes wth many deaths in the past ten years, they need to have these sessions here since no one knows what to do when they happen.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Normally when civil defense sirens sound there will be simultaneous announcements on radio and TV (including tests). That's sort of the idea; hear a siren, find out why. Don't just freak (or ignore it, either).

[edit on 4/23/2009 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Yeah, I heard them as well here in Eagan, MN. It's a reminder that spring is here, along with spring and summer stormy weather. They were a little late in setting them off at 1:30PM today. I think the other went off at around 7:00PM. BTW, what a beautiful warm day today, feels like spring is finally really here. Soon the trees will have their green leaves and everything will look like it's alive once again.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by Divinorumus]

Yeah, in Minnesota you receive the truly nasty weather during the latter half of Spring, and on into Summer. The Early Spring Severe Weather tends to occur more often in the Gulf Coast Region, and the general South. The Early Spring Tornadoes are also typically different as well, in that they are generally fast in creation, lower in power, and shorter lived. Where I live, we have Twisters from time to time, but not quite frequently enough to warrant Sirens. The only "Air Raid" Sirens I have ever heard were on MIL Posts.

As for the nice aspect of Spring Weather, I live in the Mid-Atlantic, and our Flowers and Trees are nearing the late cycle of their bloom already. Our Late Cherry Trees (Kanzans) are already out, while most of the Pear Trees, White Cherry Trees (The Somei Yoshino Variety often seen in the Tidal Basin during the Washington, D.C. Festival), and many others are already completely green. They are forecasting Temperatures for us to be in the Mid-80's (Fahrenheit) going from this Saturday through next Tuesday. Mid-Atlantic weather is COMPLETELY wacky, as it can be the Middle of May around here, and 85 Plus Degrees Fahrenheit One Day, then the very next it is somewhere in the 50's (Fahrenheit), and you end up wearing a Jacket and long pants.

What is your Avg Temp running this time of year usually? What about your weather pattern (Mostly Sun, Rain)?

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
In any case, I got an explanation on here way faster than I figure I would have calling anywhere. Yay for the internets, actually pretty damn good testimonial to you all on the site

join