It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Disclosure: Could be a bad thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
While many of us think that complete disclosure from our respective Federal Governments may be a wonderful idea in theory, could it actually be a bad thing?

I'm sure many here would put me in a particular camp by saying as much, that of "Disinfo agent" or perhaps "Non-believer" or worse "Skeptic with nothing better to do". Or maybe that, perhaps, people might think that I believe that "undue" panic would ensue if total disclosure came to fruition. SOME panice might manifest itself, however, the rapidity with which information can traverse the globe these days, I feel that more would come to terms with the reality of what would be said, than those that would let their imaginations run wild.

However, it seems much of my time (whether on ATS or otherwise) is spent in trying to convince others that ALL options are possible on ANY subject. I am never willing to place myself in any "camp", simply to avoid the inherent pitfalls associated with a closed-minded environment.

That said, has anyone ever postulated the effects of full disclosure? To me there is something very large missing: That being there's nothing on the other side of the equal sign.

Once full disclosure were to come about, again to me, the other side of the equal sign points to "then what"? Ok, the Government complies with the people's outcries, then what? Has all of the speculation been laid to rest? IMHO I think not, I think there would be an even greater degree (due to human nature and perhaps fear of the unknown) of speculation but NOW, there is no recourse. Now, the Government can and will take the position of "We've told you everything and there is nothing left to tell".

Now, all of these people who have spent a lifetime researching the subject and (yes let's be realistic and call a spade a spade) have made a decent living on it, will likely be left as entrails to what could potentially be described as a "defunct" science.

There is a certain je ne sais quoi to the mystery and wonder; that which is left to the imagination of the possibilities that exist whether on our own planet or a billion light years away, that can't be regained after some forms of disclosure may well take away the reasons we got in flight to those topics in the first place.

I'm curious what others think about this, please let me know.

AB1

Edit for spelling

[edit on 22-4-2009 by alphabetaone]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
While many of us think that complete disclosure from our respective Federal Governments may be a wonderful idea in theory, could it actually be a bad thing?

Depending on what is disclosed, yes, it could be a very, very bad thing, with people freaking out and burning things to the ground and killing each other and overthrowing governments. It's one thing to intellectually understand that human beings might not be the smartest things ever to exist, but it's quite another to wake up one day and actually find yourself one or more rungs down on the intelligence ladder, or food chain.

But disclosure is still pretty much a myth. For instance, what if it was honestly disclosed that there are such things as UFOs, but the various governments are at a loss to explain them, and only are reasonably sure they don't represent a threat? Because the U.S. government as already basically said this. That's disclosure. And it hasn't really done much of anything, and few people believe it.

For the most part, not many people are just going to believe any kind of disclosure unless it fits in with the mythology they already buy into. Aliens, not time travelers. Humanoids, not slime molds. Friendly and reasonable like us, not emotionless rocks. From another planet, not an alternate reality. Metal flying saucers, not ships made of half-real energy fields. Any other kind of disclosure is just going to be met with calls for "real" disclosure. Most people only believe what they already believe.

Otherwise, the best possible scenario is the announcement by SETI that they've picked up an artificial radio signal from a planet a long, long ways from us, 500,000 light years or so, so far away they'd never get to us. And the signal is incomprehensible. There would be a lot of initial excitement and debate, but without much new information, people would probably tire of it pretty quickly and just turn the study of the signal over to academics and get on with their lives.

The thing is, the idea of aliens would probably be a lot more interesting than real aliens. We live on a planet with all kinds of interesting and odd people and cultures, but few of us ever really get into them that much. We just stay in our own little lives, and the most we explore another culture is going to eat at an ethnic restaurant. Aliens would probably be the same thing. Interesting at first, but quickly something we'd either ignore or hate.

Unless they were killing and eating us, of course.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Nohup]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Most people only believe what they already believe.

Good point. And me, taking that further, will say that many are only willing to go as far to believe what it is they already find believable and are willing to accept.

Thanks for the reply.

AB1

join