It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court limits warrantless vehicle searches

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

What can I say, unless I am constantly paying attention to the speedometer it is hard for me to gauge how fast I am going in a cabbed vehicle. Years upon years of riding a bike will do that to you. I can go 70 on a bike and know it and get in a cabbed vehicle and it 70 seems like 30.

I don't do it on purpose, I don't speed on my bike, just in the car.

But lets not make this thread about my driving habits.

edit to add- I never said anything about giving up your civil liberties. I merely pointed out that I still have mine after being pulled over and letting the officers search my vehicle if asked. I have a good attitude towards them and have made alot of friends out of a bad situation.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by jd140]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

edit to add- I never said anything about giving up your civil liberties. I merely pointed out that I still have mine after being pulled over and letting the officers search my vehicle if asked. I have a good attitude towards them and have made alot of friends out of a bad situation.

I treat all uniformed personnel with respect regardless of their branch or capacity. I try to treat everyone with civil respect.

I won't let them casually search my vehicle though just to satisfy their curiousity. If they want to take themselves off of ticket patroll and do all the paperwork and can get a judge to say search it, well all the power to them.

I greet them politely and inquire how their day is that's it. I will not engage them in small talk nor discuss the infraction they percieved may have taken place. I have the right to remain silent, they have the right to use anything I do or say against me.

Here in South Florida you would probably be on a lifetime drivers suspension by now.

Not all jurisdictions are created equal nor all officers in anyone of them uniform in their application of the laws.

My civil liberties and rights though are uniform and I take each and every one of them seriously.

By the way in many jurisdictions big brother is going with mounted cameras attached to radar detectors and in other places they have vans mounted with cameras and radar detectors and my very favorite of all the arial patrol. Good luck talking your way out of a ticket when the officer is a computer or flying at 3,000 feet my friend.

Personally I don't care if you rob banks for a living but try to drive the speed limit on the way, the life you might save could be your own!

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by A L T A I R

Supreme Court limits warrantless vehicle searches

seattletimes.nwsource.com

The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that police need a warrant to search the vehicle of someone they have arrested if the person is locked up in a patrol cruiser and poses no safety threat to officers.

The court's 5-4 decision in a case from Arizona puts new limits on the ability of police to search a vehicle immediately after the arrest of a suspect, particularly when the alleged offense is nothing more serious than a traffic violation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Hey everyone I want you to take serious note to the parts I have bolded in the quote.

Even if the person is ARRESTED and in the cruiser, they still need a warrant. So if you get stopped and the cop demands a search, ask for a warrant and don't back down even if you have NOTHING to hide. It is the only way to condition them that they can't get away with whatever they want.

They are constantly conditioning us to bend over and not even beg for lube, so lets do some conditioning of our own. I am eagerly awaiting the day im asked to be searched.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Great news! It is comforting to hear some common sense rulings come from the Supreme Court. There are a lot of cases lined up for them that need this kind of Constitution-minded consideration. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

TA

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Don't know why you keep posting about my driving habits. I used that as an example. Not to have you turn it into a Saturday morning commercial on safety.

Bottom line.

I have yet seen any of my civil liberties taken away or impeded on. I have had alot of run ins with the police over the years for the way I drive and have yet encountered any officer trying to strong arm me or intimidate me.

I keep hearing how our civil liberties are being walked on and I honestly don't see it on the scale some here are claiming. Sure there are a few bad apples, but that is the way of life.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Bottom line.

I have yet seen any of my civil liberties taken away or impeded on.

Because you willingly gave them up.

How can you not see that?

If, on the other hand, you had attempted to exercise your civil rights, you can bet you would have seen them trampled most authoritatively.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
"I'm sure if I treated police officers the way you want me to that I would view them as you people do. But the question is why would I? For some of you, your bad attitudes toward them has done nothing but give you grief."

Interesting how some people equate those who stand up for their rights as "having a bad attitude". Kind of says it all.

Anyone who consents to a police search without the officer having probably cause, is doing a major disservice to the rest of his fellow Americans. Plain and simple. And as for this not having anything to hide garbage, that has to be the biggest copout I've ever heard.

If I was pulled over 100 times for speeding and never given a ticket, I am either:

A) full of crapola
B) a cop
C) in bed with the cops

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
"I'm sure if I treated police officers the way you want me to that I would view them as you people do. But the question is why would I? For some of you, your bad attitudes toward them has done nothing but give you grief."

Interesting how some people equate those who stand up for their rights as "having a bad attitude". Kind of says it all.

Anyone who consents to a police search without the officer having probably cause, is doing a major disservice to the rest of his fellow Americans. Plain and simple. And as for this not having anything to hide garbage, that has to be the biggest copout I've ever heard.

If I was pulled over 100 times for speeding and never given a ticket, I am either:

A) full of crapola
B) a cop
C) in bed with the cops

If you believe that I am doing a major disservice to my fellow Americans, then like I said before.

I do not care what you think and will continue to allow them look around if asked.

As for your multiple answer question.

Do you really think I care if you think my story is true or not? Your opinion of me means very little if it matters at all. So you can believe what you want, I can assure you I will still sleep well at night.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Telling a cop they can not illegally search my car does not mean I have a bad attitude towards them. Seriously where did I say that i'm rude to the cops??????? Please show me where I said I give cops a bad attitude.

But that is ironic. Your admitting to breaking the law hundreds of times, and yet you're the only one here who lets the cops ILLEGALLY search your vehicle.

Something odd about that...

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Don't know why you keep posting about my driving habits. I used that as an example. Not to have you turn it into a Saturday morning commercial on safety.

Bottom line.

I have yet seen any of my civil liberties taken away or impeded on. I have had alot of run ins with the police over the years for the way I drive and have yet encountered any officer trying to strong arm me or intimidate me.

I keep hearing how our civil liberties are being walked on and I honestly don't see it on the scale some here are claiming. Sure there are a few bad apples, but that is the way of life.

Well my friend, you were the one who put those assertions out there!

I would contend your civil liberties were impinged on if as you claim you have consented to authorities looking around your vehicle.

Unless you appeared to be under the influence of something or had body parts sticking out of your trunk, or baggies full of white powder laying on your seats they simply had no right to ask.

The premise of well if you have nothing to hide has nothing to do with the fundamentals of civil liberties.

It's a shame I think the majority of the people on the thread responding to you are giving you some great advice but you have gone from an agressive to a defensive posture all related to your own personal experiences.

Unless you live in all 50 states, in every last county and municipalities your basing your assumptions on incomplete data at best, at worst they are fabrications or embellishments meant to assuage your own ego.

Civil Liberties though are something that can be UNIVERSALLY applied in EVERY jurisdiction in EVERY circumstance and should be.

The Government serves us and not us serving it and by your own admission the Government does not serve us particuarlly well when a chronic speeding offender is never ticketed.

You might have lightening fast reflexes but the little old lady or the mom transporting a van full of soccer kids that you zoom by, through, in and out might not.

It sounds to me like you are totally self absorbed my friend in just about every way imaginable.

No offence but you don't seem to take a very responsible approach to other's personal safety or other's civil liberties.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I refer you to my last post.

Any who feel the need to respond in the same manner can refer to the same post.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Bottom line.

I have yet seen any of my civil liberties taken away or impeded on.

That is because you freely give them away. They DO NOT have the right to search your vehicle without probable cause or a warrant. You can be polite when you tell them that they cannot search your vehicle, no point in being rude about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join