It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Spot Earth-Like New Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Scientists Spot Earth-Like New Planet

www.foxnews.com

The lightest exoplanet yet discovered — only about twice the mass of Earth — has been detected, astronomers announced today.

"With only 1.9 Earth-masses, it is the least massive exoplanet ever detected and is, very likely, a rocky planet,"said Xavier Bonfils of Grenoble Observatory in France, a member of the team that made the discovery, which was announced at the European Week of Astronomy and Space Science at the University of Hertfordshire in the United Kingdom.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The article goes further to state:

Measurements with the telescope also helped to refine the orbit of the new planet's solar system sibling, a planet called Gliese 581 d, placing it well within the habitable zone, where liquid water oceans could exist.

I think that is just a matter of time before we discover life on another planet or better yet to realize that life is bundant all across the universe. I for one would also like for these scientist to take a good pic and show it to us.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Bunch]

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Gliese 581 e, the "small" planet which the article is talking about, is not Earthlike. It is far too close to its star to be habitable.

Gliese 581 d (discovered 2 years ago) is eight times more massive than the Earth so cannot really be considered Earthlike either. It may have liquid water, there is no way to know for sure. It is quite far from its star but if it has an atmosphere and if that atmosphere has enough greenhouse gases, it may be warm enough for there to be liquid water. But it may have some problems which would make the development of complex lifeforms very difficult.

This will make the lit side of the planet likely unbearably hot. And, the night side would be punishingly cold.

astroprofspage.com...

We are a long way from being able tell if an exoplanet is truly Earthlike. We can't tell if they have an atmosphere. We can't tell if there is water. All we can really tell about them is how massive they are and how far from their star they are. The rest is speculation.

There are no pictures of these planets, they are far too small and distant to be seen. Their presence is known by the effects of their gravity on their stars.

[edit on 4/21/2009 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Except, that as life exists abundantly in this universe, and many planets are genisis projects for advanced et, talking about life developing naturally here and there is not really a requirement for life of any kind, even advanced life to exist anywhere. The universe is beyond that kind of natural process in many cases, possibly every case.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the insight as the article wasn't all that clear to me. It seems that the website made some kind of error in their reporting...Fox News?!! NO WAY!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

This is also comparing it very closely to "Homosapien Life". Remember whats good for us, may not be good to others, we haven't learned as much about it.

An animal can live at bone crushing levels beneath the ocean, so we can still assume that life maybe possible at extreme differences between night and day, that may suit them just fine.

Though your point of it being earthlike, maybe a farfetched idea granted.

It still may be possible for life to exist outside the room of water based carbon based life.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Is it coincident or step toward disclosure?? As just yesterday Stephen Bassett, head of the Paradigm Research Group (PRG), which hosted the X-Conference, said that the truth about extraterrestrial life is being suppressed because it is politically explosive. He said : "Obama better disclose by May 31 or else another country probably will before then.."

He said : "Obama better disclose by May 31 or else another country probably will before then.."

And now this announcement by Geneva Observatory in Switzerland

[spam link removed]

[edit on 22-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Good. Then consider me there.

I would be all for a new planet to colonize.

Space colonization is the next step for the human race!

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Good. Then consider me there.

I would be all for a new planet to colonize.

Space colonization is the next step for the human race!

Ha! Wouldn't that be great! I'd really love to see a huge movement throughout humanity towards astronomy, physics and math. If we could knock out a few obstacles your idea wouldn't seem unreasonable at all.

The earth isn't going to be around forever, but for some reason everyone thinks it will be! (Not talking about global warming, but everything)

top topics

join