It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama supported gay marriage, or so he claimed, 12 years ago.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

While running for the Illinois State Senate in 1996 (just 12 years ago!), Obama told the gay newspaper Outlines he was committed to full marriage rights for gay men and women: "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages."
www.queerty.com...

Here’s a full article on this on page twelve of this pdf from Windy City Times: www.windycitymediagroup.com...

I realize not everyone can easily read a pdf on their computer so I’ll post some of the article (quoted in the qeerty link).

IMPACT, which was Chicago’s main GLBT political
action committee for several years, surveyed
Obama and other candidates, as did Outlines.
What we are including with this special Presidential
Inaugural issue of Windy City Times are
copies of the answers to the IMPACT and Outlines
questions. For IMPACT, the Obama campaign
simply responded on the form. For Outlines, the
candidate typed in his answers and signed his
letter. www.windycitymediagroup.com...
news/ARTICLE.php?AID=3931

Here is what they received from Obama: [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9949b1218e44.jpg[/atsimg]

More recently, as Obama has run for higher of-
fice, from senator to president, he has further
shaped his views on marriage, and now he does
not back same-sex marriage. In a January 2004
interview I conducted with Obama at the Windy
City Times’ office, Obama clearly stated that lack
of support for full marriage equality was a matter
of strategy rather than principle,
but in even
more recent comments, it appears he is backing
off even further, saying it is more of a religious
issue, and also a “state” issue, so he favors civil
unions. www.windycitymediagroup.com...

(Emphasis mine.)
In another interview Obama said:

Obama: What I’m saying is that strategically,
I think we can get civil unions passed. I think
we can get SB 101 passed. I think that to the
extent that we can get the rights, I’m less concerned
about the name. And I think that is my
No. 1 priority, is an environment in which the
Republicans are going to use a particular language
that has all sorts of connotations in the
broader culture as a wedge issue, to prevent us
moving forward, in securing those rights, then I
don’t want to play their game.
TB: If Massachusetts gets marriage and this
gives momentum to the proposed federal Constitutional
amendment against gay marriage?
Obama: I would oppose that. www.windycitymediagroup.com...

This has convinced me that Obama is rather spineless. He played centrist politics to win the presidency. That isn’t change I believe in, at least, not anymore. (Let me clarify, this is not the only issue that has me feeling this way, but this definitely adds to a host of others.)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This was covered in January by The Huffington Post as well: www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I sorta knew that already, it just makes sense. A rational person would be for gay marriage, but since most people, or a lot, aren't ready for gay marriage equality, it makes the most sense to go in for the middle ground. Once you get people to side with you, and get comfortable, that's when you can push your agenda a bit more.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think he's approaching it the right way. We're dealing with superstitious people, let them keep their word, and give gay couples the same rights with civil unions. Take "marriage" completely out of the equation.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

Even then the morons still won't like it, lol. Sort of frustrating that that is the case. What it comes down to is that they don't want gays to have similar rights. Seems like some just enjoy trying to wreck their plans.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
I sorta knew that already, it just makes sense. A rational person would be for gay marriage, but since most people, or a lot, aren't ready for gay marriage equality, it makes the most sense to go in for the middle ground. Once you get people to side with you, and get comfortable, that's when you can push your agenda a bit more.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

Originally posted by ThePiemaker
I think he's approaching it the right way. We're dealing with superstitious people, let them keep their word, and give gay couples the same rights with civil unions. Take "marriage" completely out of the equation.

I just wish Obama would stop with the change talk while he’s doing the same political posturing all politicians do. I’m so tried of his empty words. He lies to get where he wants to be just like any politician, I’m not claiming that this makes him worse than any of the rest, but it certainly doesn’t make him better. He keeps getting caught in lies, so he’s lost most of his credibility to me. How can you trust your president when he can’t stand by his own stances and lies just to get elected by those who are against his true belief system?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Just like certain animals politicians too can change their stripes.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum
Just like certain animals politicians too can change their stripes.

They change depending on the election season apparently. It's not as if I disbelieve that someone can change their mind on an issue, but Obama clearly stated that he did it mainly for political reasons. Not only is he dishonest, but man does he have nerve.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Now Obama's administration is defending DOMA
(blogs.abcnews.com...) ? *sigh* He does remember voting against it, right?

If you are an American who believes in equal rights I hope you do not vote for this man during the next election.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

new topics

top topics

join