It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have to face the facts about the costs illegals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

We have to face the facts about the costs illegals

www.washingtonpost.com

Children of illegal immigrants now account for about one in 15 elementary and secondary school students nationwide and more than one in 10 students in five states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada and Texas. The vast majority of these children were born in the United States.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
First to all the “you’re just a bigot” people, I assure you I am not. Having lived in southern California for many years, I grew up with Hispanic kids and have nothing against them personally. But the truth here that I wish to discuss is concerning the swelling population of illegal aliens within our country, and the exploding population of their children, who are filling up our schools at alarming rates. So many hospitals in California are closing because of the financial costs of giving the masses of illegal immigrant’s free health care in the emergency rooms.

According to Steven Camarota from the Center for Immigration Studies, we spend between :

10 and 22 billion a year on welfare for illegal immigrants…

Illegal immigrant families pay only one third in federal taxes compared to legal residents…

Nearly 2 billion is spent on food assistance for illegal’s each year…

1.6 billion is spent for jail costs yearly…

2.5 billion is spent just by the federal government yearly on medical services and this isn’t including the increased cost to you and me in our rising insurance premiums we have to pay each month.

When are we going to wake up and realize that we simply don’t have the funds as a nation to care for all those who wish to come here, especially those who choose not to follow the laws and guidelines laid out by our government to do it correctly?

This isn’t an issue of racism; it’s an issue of logic and fiscal responsibility. The salad days are over, the money is dwindling, and if we don’t stop the abuses of the system, our entire economic structure will see its end.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
more illegal immigrant hate propaganda , is this stormfront or aryan nation or
BNP(british national party) , stop this racism

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I don't know if those numbers are real or not, but at the end of the day they can't have a positive impact on the economy on the educational level.

Even Ron Paul wanted to disallow state help towards those born out of amnesty(parents illegal but child born here). And he still got alot of mexican support as voters, because many of them didn't see it as racism.

So I do agree with it's negative impact.

But I don't think it should be a focal point as this time, seriously.
This is a drop in the ocean compared of other issues that need addressing.

just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kombatt98

It's not a matter of racism at all.

It has nothing to do with where the illegal immigrants come from. It has everything to do with the fact that they came here illegally.

I don't care if you came from Mexico, Canada, France, Britain, Thailand, Morocco or Zimbabwe. If you're here illegally, regardless of the color of your skin or your family background, you need to go. It's simply a matter of respecting our immigration laws, which are in place to make sure immigrants will acclimate successfully into American society.

To state that the Washington Post (widely considered a liberal news source) is spreading racist propaganda only proves your ignorance on the subject.

I've heard all the arguments in favor of illegal immigration, but none of them take into account that all of the illegal immigrants here, had they taken the time to learn english and emigrate properly, would be 100% legal citizens, like many of my friends who weren't born here are.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's no racism, alot of this stuff is, but the costs of keeping illegals here is staggering. And the solution isn't throwing them out, it's actually getting them on the path to being citizens so they're int he same mess that we are in as well.

It's not up to the tax payers to pay for the illegals, they should be doing they're fair share.

It's the way things are supposed to be. But they can stay here, our whole continent was founded on immigrants, can't start turning them away.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kombatt98

So you are saying the Washington Post supporsts racism and the aryan nation? How in the world did you ever come up with that idea?

Did you even read the article? It talked about the cost of illegal immigrants. It did not specify one group of illegal immigrants. It just calculated the cost of illegal immigrents.

Yet when you hear the term "illegal immigrant", all you think of is mexico and its citizens. I ask you, who is the racist? Are you not aware that an illegal immigrant is someone from another country that is here illegaly? Do you not know that that phrase does not soley describe illegal immigration from mexico?Are you not aware that there are people of all races, religions and genders who oppose illegal immigration?You are not a racist if you oppose illegal immigration.

All I am saying here is know what you are talking about before you sling such hude accusationsn about. I saw nothing"racist" by either the OP OR the Washington POST article.

All I saw was a calculation of what it costs teh US to take care of people who are living in our country illegally. From the looks of it, illegal immigrants are quite expensive. I bet all those billions could have been spent on saving our economy. Perhaps we would be in better shape as a country if that money had not gone to people who are here illegally.

Don't you dare accuse me or anyone else of racism when you clearly have no grounds to base your claim on.

illegal immigrants can come from Mexico, Canada, India, Or Timbucktu, Illegal is illegal, no matter what color their skin is. No matter what country they are supposed to be in.

Don't you think it is ironic that YOU are the one keeping racism alive in this debate? I have seen nobody make any racist claims or comments other than yourself... What does that tell you?

It tells ME anyway, that perhaps you need to rethink your stance on the issue. Because you clearly do not know what it is about. It is not about nationality or skin color. it is about people from ALL OVER THE WORLD who are in our country illegally, and the way that it DOES hurt our country financially and legally.

Stop playing the race carp when there is none to be played. That is getting tired. Put down the race card, step back, and take a look at the real issue.

The security of a country, The secuirty of the citizens of that country within its own borders, the taxes that are supposed to be spent on it's own citizens being spent on people from all over who are not here legally.

It is an issue of national security, finances, and illegality. Not of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or anything else.

Please get that lame tired idea of racism oout of your head so we can all move on.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The only way to pay for the staggering burden on our system will be to raise taxes and plunder every budget line item possible. It is out of control and it is far to late to stop the bleeding. The damage is done and we will all pay the price for weak immigration control over the years.

I am not opposed to immigration just Illegal immigration. Makes sense, Right? My ancestors funneled through Ellis Island legally and struggled to assimilate to their new home and culture. They packed their lives into steamer trunks and put their faith into a new nation. They did not expect anything from the government. They searched for opportunities and found them. No handouts needed.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
The only way to pay for the staggering burden on our system will be to raise taxes and plunder every budget line item possible. It is out of control and it is far to late to stop the bleeding. The damage is done and we will all pay the price for weak immigration control over the years.

I am not opposed to immigration just Illegal immigration. Makes sense, Right? My ancestors funneled through Ellis Island legally and struggled to assimilate to their new home and culture. They packed their lives into steamer trunks and put their faith into a new nation. They did not expect anything from the government. They searched for opportunities and found them. No handouts needed.

This is one of the most level headed posts on illegal immigration I have seen in a while. I agree with you as well.

The problem is not with immigration it is with ILLEGAL immigration. That is the type of immigration that hurts our country and its citizens. Well put!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

It's very simple send them back where they came from and find a legal way that might not cost too much for them to come here. I'm so friggin tired of this argument on both sides. Whining about rights when your clearly breaking the law is ridiculous. If these people respected even one law they wouldn't be doing this and costing the legal immigrants and other citizens of this country so much money. wake up know your laws and rights and try again end of post.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kombatt98

It is such a shame that members fail to understand what is being written in thread and just launch a post claiming racism.

This is a very real issue that is not being discussed because as soon as someone wants to talk about this, they are called racists. I suspect this is partly the reason for the BNP in the UK getting traction in the political process as they are talking about these issues.

And this is sometime we have to address in the UK. With great pressures on services and what money has to be spend on, I want it spend on citizens who are in my country legally and pax their taxes.

What should I as a tax payer have to see my services reduced as illegals takes money and services they are not entitled too.

In the UK, their is the ability for people who need a country to apply and get due consideration of thier case.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The illegal immigrant issue is just a smokescreen.

If it's the cost you're worried about then this is what you should be concentrating on...

costofwar.com...

Remember you are all decedents of immigrants. They only reason you were not considered illegal is because you hadn't created that law yet. Your ancestors killed the natives when they got here, you should be glad you are not suffering the same.

They are only doing what your ancestors did to better their lives. Try putting yourself in their shoes instead of being do reactionary.

What gives you the right to call humans illegal? Man made laws, man made injustice.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CityIndian

Trying to divert this thread by talking about something outside the concept of the OP. Nice try!!

Yes this is a cost issue, and the discussions about conflict has been and will be discussed in other threads.

We have laws that have been passed by our elected Governments who have decided the rights by which someone can be a citizen, and it you have entered my country illegal and not sought to use the due process for becoming a citizen, you are in my country illegally, so why should I and the other hard working citizens have to see our taxes stolen, and they is the only word to use, STOLEN, by illegals. Typically those who have entered my country illegally are not paying taxes but still expect to get the benefits of being a citizen.

I want my taxes spend of citizens. It should be the duty of every citizen to report those who are here illegally.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
Trying to divert this thread by talking about something outside the concept of the OP. Nice try!!

Huh?

This thread is about the cost of illegal immigrants?

I was making the point that the issue of cost, and 'illegals', is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You were not forced to read it or answer it.

But again in reply I can only come back with my other point...

costofwar.com...

The first point of this thread is COST, that seems to be the issue you're concerned with, right? So why focus on something like immigration when there are issues of COST that make immigration a very minuscule issue?

Or is the main point 'illegal immigrants'?

Think about that and choose very carefully, because this is where in this issue people see it as racists, and nothing to do with COST at all.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by CityIndian]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

So many hospitals in California are closing because of the financial costs of giving the masses of illegal immigrant’s free health care in the emergency rooms.

I didn't realize they asked who is legal and who isn't.

That point aside. Could there be any chance that the 47 million of Americans without health insurance also contribute to this mess? And what about the millions more that are under insured, like myself, who just can't afford to pay the hospital the remaining balance after the insurance pays?

I don't call this racism. It is a legit issue. However, I don't find the numbers to be true because nobody really knows. Time and time again you read that everything is estimated or that according to the latest census. I wasn't aware the census asked if one was legal or not.

What does social security do with all that income they receive from ssn's that don't match up? Most of that money comes from illegals using fake documents. Yet, the government isn't complaining.

Now I do find it amazing how we harp about the cost of illegals but it seems nobody has the will to tackle the cost of welfare in general has on. How many American families have been dependent on this system for generation after generation? How many Americans are abusing the system? We are quickly become one big nation of dependents and few seem to have a problem with it. I have relatives who won't work cause they make a good living on the system and even though they are blood, it royally ticks me off.

How about the cost of our education in general? Why is it that coaches are paid more than your average teacher? Why is that we keep increasing the amount of money we spend on education but yet still have to keep looking for doctors, engineers, and nurses from abroad? Our education system is failing and illegal immigration isn't the reason.

Yes, immigration is an issue. But if you think immigration is the root of all evil, you have it wrong.

You talk about the cost of billions while the big boys throw around trillions.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
10 and 22 billion a year on welfare for illegal immigrants…

Illegal immigrant families pay only one third in federal taxes compared to legal residents…

Nearly 2 billion is spent on food assistance for illegal’s each year…

1.6 billion is spent for jail costs yearly…

2.5 billion is spent just by the federal government yearly on medical services and this isn’t including the increased cost to you and me in our rising insurance premiums we have to pay each month.

Those figures sure sound impressive but in reality they are tiny percentages of the whole expenditure of the government.

1) Corporate welfare is a large and growing component of the federal budget. America's most costly welfare recipients today are Fortune 500 companies. In 1997 the Fortune 500 corporations recorded best-ever earnings of $325 billion, yet incredibly Uncle Sam doled out nearly $75 billion in taxpayer subsidies.

www.cato.org...

$75 BILLION

That's more than all your examples put together...

If only people could at least direct their hate at those who control us, instead of creating more divisions among us regular people. But I guess there will always be those who feel the need to be superior to others and focus on the unfortunate, instead of the fortunate who are the real enemies of freedom.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by CityIndian]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CityIndian

They are only doing what your ancestors did to better their lives. Try putting yourself in their shoes instead of being do reactionary.

What gives you the right to call humans illegal? Man made laws, man made injustice.

My ancestors came in through Ellis Island. My Mother's side a few generations ago, and my father's side in the 1930's to evade Nazi Germany. You assume, quite falsely, that all (white, I'm assuming) Americans are descendants of the original settlers. This is just as wrong as the assumption that all black Americans are descendants of slaves, or that all illegal immigrants come from Hispanic countries.

No one is referring to anyone as "illegal", we are just referring to their citizenship as illegal. There is nothing unjust about having immigration laws, all countries have them. They are not only used to increase national security, but also to ensure that immigrants will find a happy, healthy life in America, by taking advantage of all of the social services America has to offer as well as being fully protected by the constitution.

new topics

top topics

join