It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Above BlueBook* - Ohio UFO Chase , Portage County April 17, 1966

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
""Well, a reserve Military Intelligence Unit The 353rd Comm Recon Co (Scty) of the 7th was moved to Pennsylvania in 1954. ""

I think there's our answer right there Karl. I would bet that if we dug deep about the background of The 353rd Comm Recon we would hit a massive brick wall in terms of getting information about their activities and history.

Jocko -will certainly have a look round for some further info.

Theres a good free E-book below which has an interesting section dealing with the Portage County case, it also mentions other Ohio UFO incidents from around the same dates and mentions that the Police radio dispatcher instructed Sheriff Spaur to shoot at the UFO.

Regional Encounters - the FC files. A century of UFO sightings and Close encounters in the Mid West. - Francis Ridge (pdf).

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Another freaky UFO report from Ohio involving a blue 'cone shaped' object and six firemen.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Cool!

Man, its threads like this that keep me hanging around this site. I have been a tad disillusioned lately slogging through threads with endless bickering and whining. This thread has had me riveted to my chair for the last two hours, and finds me with sore eyes and twenty tabs open from chasing the great links you guys have posted here. Thanks for the hard work and excellent thread, I wish threads like these would have their own special "section" labeled:

"Excellent, Straightforward, Well Researched Threads With No BS"

Thanks again guys!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
thanks everyone for the great posts !

i stumbled upon some disappointing information yesterday that pertains to Michael Nelson. Nelson is the the person in the video presentation that is posted in the Opening post of this thread.

2007 – Michael Nelson’s bogus claims of recovering physical evidence related to the 1966 Portage County UFO Chase. Read Nelson’s paper in the 2007 MUFON Symposium Proceedings, then tear it out as none of it is based in fact.
followthemagicthread.blogspot.com...

a link to Joe Capp's blog that is discussing this leads us to some comments left by a person named Rob Swiatek and you can read for your self what he said...

Rob Swiatek said...

Joe--
The Portage County UFO chase is a great case--one of the best in ufology, in my opinion. Unfortunately, beware of this man Nelson; he does the case a grave injustice. Not only is his supposed "new" information on the case suspect, but his own credentials are as well. An extensive background investigation of him revealed many disquieting details. But--damn it!--the specifics are not mine to release so we'll have to wait until the principal (a friend of mine whom I trust completely) chooses to do so. Bottom line: I personally don't accept any of the new information Nelson is ballyhooing.

Moreover, many of the facts of the Portage County case as Nelson relates them don't square with the crackerjack account of the case written at the time by William Weitzel, chief NICAP investigator of the incident (see, for example, Dell's FLYING SAUCERS, UFO REPORTS, October 1967, for Weitzel's report). And Nelson never even interviewed Weitzel or Richard Hall, former NICAP deputy director, both of whom live in the Washington, D.C., area! Needless to say, Nelson must be called out on all this.--Rob Swiatek
ufomedia.blogspot.com...

what "Rob" posted further down in the comments seems to indicate that Michael Nelson's operandi has been exposed but the information about it hasn't been released yet.

Rob Swiatek said...

Joe and Bob K.--

The background information about Mike Nelson has been known since 2007, but has not been disseminated. I believe the reason this is becoming an issue only now, frankly, is because of the comments I posted on this blog. Certainly anyone knowledgeable about the facts of the Portage County sighting could have challenged Nelson at any time, of course, and maybe some have (although I'm not aware of any public refutation). The failure to do so might be a reluctance on the part of many serious researchers to engage in more controversy when there is so much else to do in both life and ufology.

By the way, Nelson approached the Center for UFO Studies with his information in 2007 and they saw right through him, refused to have anything to do with him, in fact. He was shown the door.--Rob Swiatek
ufomedia.blogspot.com...

so it seems there has been some revelations about Nelson but the incriminating evidence is, for some unknown reason being withheld.

i honestly did not know about any of this when i opened this thread and i think it's important to point out, and you can see for yourself from my comments, that i was a little suspicious about this "new evidence"

not sure how true it is yet, still checking.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

i may have thrown caution to the wind because Nelson was presenting this information at a Mufon conference, so i took it for granted he was legit. the question i have is where is the incriminating evidence about Nelson and why hasn't it surfaced yet ? until that is available for examination i can only speculate on the possibility of all this being a counter intelligence operation to discredit him ? i dunno

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Easynow -great post mate and some good honest detective work there.

Heres what MUFON had to say about Michael Nelson when James Carrion was in charge in 2007:

"Impressive, too was Michael Nelson’s talk on new information in the April 1966 Portage County, Ohio, Police-UFO chasecase. In 1985 Nelson, then a Portage County deputy sheriff, happened upon a set of unusual “cold” case files while cleaning outthe Sheriff’s Office, and was allowed to keep them. It was not until 1998 that Nelson, now a professional archaeologist nearing hisPh.D, actually sat down and began to review these files, which dealt with an in-house investigation of officers Spaur and Neff’s en-counter with the extraordinary, and Mike Nelson got hooked. As someone who had never given UFOs any consideration, what animated Nelson perhaps more than the subject matter (he would still consider himself an open-minded UFO-skeptic), was the in-justice done particularly to these two Ohio peace officers in the aftermath of their experience. Nelson’s new information fills insome details and raises some new questions and possibilities, particularly when a piece of material found at the initial site of theUFO’s appearance is fully analyzed and reported in his forthcoming book."

PDF File

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

thanks karl 12 and thank you for your help

Mufon seemed to be excited about Nelson and the info he was bringing to the table ? i would like to know why they let him do that presentation if they didn't even bother to check everything out before hand ?

somethings fishy about the whole thing. i hope more info about Nelson becomes available so we can sort this mess out. ! if i see any info about this i will be sure to post it and i know you'll do the same

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
thanks karl 12 and thank you for your help

Mufon seemed to be excited about Nelson and the info he was bringing to the table ? i would like to know why they let him do that presentation if they didn't even bother to check everything out before hand ?

Easynow-thanks for the reply and you certainly raise some interesting questions about MUFON whilst Carrion was in charge - if what Rob Swiatek says is correct and CUFOS saw right through Michael Nelson then why didn't MUFON?

By the way, Nelson approached the Center for UFO Studies with his information in 2007 and they saw right through him, refused to have anything to do with him, in fact. He was shown the door.
Rob Swiatek

Originally posted by treemanx

Man, its threads like this that keep me hanging around this site. I have been a tad disillusioned lately slogging through threads with endless bickering and whining. This thread has had me riveted to my chair for the last two hours, and finds me with sore eyes and twenty tabs open from chasing the great links you guys have posted here.

Treemanx, good post and its certainly a pretty fascinating UFO case (and thread) - kudos for taking the time to investigate all the links and educate yourself about all the aspects surrounding the incident - if only everyone did that.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Easynow, there's some more info below about the case dealing with Chief Gerald Buchert, Major Hector Quintanilla and Dr. J. Allen Hynek's involvement - there's also an interesting link to Florida Governor Haydon Burns airplane sighting eight days later.

The UFO phenomenon was already decades old in 1966, but this sighting was one of the most dramatic -- and seemingly credible, coming from police officers -- ever reported..

Link

Cheers.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

thanks for the link and holy cow there's some important info about the photo in there,

Major Hector Quintanilla called the next morning. In addition to the incident, they discussed the photograph. The major told Buchert he could release a grainy copy of the photo to the press, but that he should send the negatives directly to him. The chief readily agreed.

Only later did this seemingly routine request begin to look like a setup.

released a grainy copy to the press ?

there's no doubt that the photo is at Wright Patterson , i wonder what they would say if i called there looking for it ? LOL

it seems that Quintanilla and Hynek's children have a scanned copy of the photo ?

In January, Karl received a scanned version of the Buchert photograph through e-mail. After viewing the digitally enhanced image, Karl was not inclined to dismiss it as a processing glitch, as his father had done in 1966.

"The longer I look at it, the more fascinated I become," Karl says. "In the enhanced picture, it does have the classic [saucer] shape. There's the classic tilt forward, like the craft I've seen in the [Lazar] video.

His son Paul Hynek, a partner in the production company behind many episodes of the MTV series Driven and other reality-based projects, also has seen enhanced versions of the Buchert photo.
www.cohenufo.org...

the question is why isn't the photo somewhere online already ? i guess i need to figure out a way to contact these people to see what the problem is. any help from anyone on getting contact info for these people would be appreciated.

Quintanilla left behind six children (Gene,Tessie,Karl,Nancy,Diane and Bob)and several grand children.
en.wikipedia.org...

in the Cohen link it say's Hynek's son is named Paul but in the Wiki link it say his name is Joel. not sure what's up with that ? maybe he has more than one and just aren't listed ?

Hynek's son Joel Hynek is an Oscar winning movie visual effects supervisor
en.wikipedia.org...

Excellent find, thanks

Florida Governor Haydon Burns - UFO Sighting

Co-pilot Herb Bates first noticed the UFO as the Convair took off from Orlando headed for Tallahassee (state capital). To him, the object or objects appeared as two bright yellow globes side by side. At about 6000 feet altitude in the vicinity of Ocala, everyone on board had been alerted and watched the UFO pace the plane on the starboard side. Some said the two bright lights were crescent shaped, and a dimmer connecting section or column of light was visible between them. The reddish or yellow-orange lights fluctuated in brightness, but were very distinct.
www.cohenufo.org...

i live just south of Ocala and the close encounter i had back in the mid eighties was not far from there.

UFO over Tallahassee, Florida video

Neff supposedly lives here in Florida , wish i knew where he is exactly because i certainly would be tempted to go pay him a visit.

Officer Neff

Today he lives in Florida "with two of them Taco Bell dogs."
www.cohenufo.org...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Easynow, it's a pretty fascinating read and would certainly like to have a look at that photograph (and scrapbook) - I also hadn't heard of the priest witness from St Joseph's Church in Mantua before.

As for Dr Hynek's son, I think Wiki may have it wrong as it also refers to 'Paul' in some of the NICAP files (I didn't know he did Predator -great film!).

Joel Hynek is an Oscar winning movie visual effects supervisor who directed the design of the so-called camouflage effect from the movie Predator.

There is this bit from NICAP which goes into a bit more detail about Hector Quintanilla's son Karl and states he was involved in UFO documentary film making but that's about it.

..'The Cleveland Scene' article also reports that Major Hector Quintanilla was focusing on golf after retirement from the Air Force, until a golf cart accident resulted in head injuries from which he never recovered, and he died in 1997. He lived long enough to see his son become a 'UFO Believer' who worked as a staff member on the production of several television UFO documentaries.

Link (pdf)

Cheers.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thanks for that link to that pdf file Karl...

Anymore information on this fascinating case from anyone who has any is highly appreciated.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Thanks for that link to that pdf file Karl...

No probs Jocko
- a lot of the files are taken from Major Donald Keyhoe's UFO archives and they realy do contain a lot of great information on the UFO subject (probably worth saving for a rainy day).

The archives cover a great deal of topics involved with the UFO subject such as historical and global reports, government documents, scientific papers, police encounters, newspaper articles etc.. as well as coverage of specific UFO incidents and press conferences from the Pentagon and U.N.

They also contain some very interesting interviews and comments from such people as Dr James E. Mcdonald, Hermann Oberth, Jan Aldrich, Francis Ridge, Ted Bloecher, Wendy Connors, Barry Greenwood etc.. and observations about government sponsered UFO panels like the Condon committee and Robertson Panel.

Major Donald Keyhoe's UFO Archives.

Cheers.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mcrom901
and if that doesn't quench your thirst for ufo mirages....... dive in....

The "Null Hypothesis" for UFO reports, of which I am one of a handful of champions, states that no extraordinary stimuli are required to produce the entire array of public UFO perceptions in all their rich variety, wonderment, and terror. Known phenomena have produced all types of what is commonly known as "UFO reports", including apparitions of flying disks, radar and radio interference, terrifying chases and "intelligent maneuvers", telepathic messages, "missing time" and hypnogenic narratives, recollections of participation in military UFO retrievals, actual "secret documents", and so forth. There seem to be no types of reports which have not been, on record, produced at some point or another by prosaic stimuli and/or circumstances.

www.debunker.com...

Mcrom, many thanks for posting that one - hadn't seen it before and to my mind it's completely ridiculous.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
They are from seven years later but here are some more very strange (and similar-ish) police UFO reports from Ohio in October, 1973.

The Great UFO Wave: October, 1973

Greenfield, Ohio - Two police officers chased separate unidentified objects more than five miles last night. Patrolman Mike Conklin said the one he chased was about "100 feet in diameter and glowed with a bright white light. It had a red area on top of it, as if it was overheated, and made a dull humming sound that increased in frequency as the object increased in speed."

Conklin said he was able to drive his cruiser to within 100-feet of the object. "There were about 20 people out there looking at it at the time I was, so I know I'm not crazy," he added.

Sgt. Hugh Oyer said the object he chased also was white in color with a yellow glow at one end. "I never believed in UFOs until tonight," Oyer said.

"Some guy tried to tell me it was a star, but no star I've ever seen made a humming sound or jumped up and down or was so near the ground."

The Cincinnati Post, page 1 October 17, 1973

Link

Oct. 10, 1973; Near Dayton, OHIO

8:00 p.m. At least 15 sightings of unidentified flying objects "covered with red, green and blue lights" zooming about at tree-top level, were reported in Southwestern Ohio Wednesday night. The UFOs, sighted in the Dayton-Cincinnati area, were all classified "unofficial" by Wright-Patterson Air Force Base officials. None were detected on radar because they apparently were flying too low. The first sighting was reported shortly after 8 p.m. by a New Lebanon Township officer. "He didn't want to say he saw it, but he said it," Montgomery County Sheriff's deputy Michael Sullivan reported. "The officer said it was oblong and covered with lights. It appeared stationary in the sky about tree top level for several minutes until he tried to shine his cruiser spot light on it," Sullivan said. "It then zoomed toward him and then shot straight up in the air... after he turned out his light... and disappeared." Sullivan said the UFO sightings lasted from a fleeting moment to 12 minutes. "They would be behind the trees and come up and fly away... as if you startled it or something," he said. "No balloon, helicopter or kite can move that fast or has that many lights attached or can go so quickly in a straight-up direction," he said. A spokesman at Wright-Patterson, whose UFO center was discontinued several years ago, said there would be no attempt to investigate the sightings unless there was an "imminent danger." Sullivan said his officers 'certainly can't chase them."

UPI, The Columbus Dispatch, October 11, 1973

Link

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

So in 1966 the Triangle craft type existed not to show up until
lost in the woods in Belgium by the 1980s.

Close encounters

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0
Rating: 7.8/10 - from 57,754 users Close Encounter of the First Kind -
Sighting of a UFO. Close Encounter of the Second Kind - Physical Evidence.
Close Encounter of the Third Kind - Contact. ... Full cast and crew - Trivia -
Plot Summary - 90 Photos www.imdb.com/title/tt0075860/ - Cached -
Similar

I can't say there was much UFO activity in 1977 so why the movie.

The CIA Alien promotion budget since 1945 blew it all on Speilberg that year.
How nice.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0
Rating: 7.8/10 - from 57,754 users Close Encounter of the First Kind -
Sighting of a UFO. Close Encounter of the Second Kind - Physical Evidence.
Close Encounter of the Third Kind - Contact. ... Full cast and crew - Trivia -
Plot Summary - 90 Photos www.imdb.com/title/tt0075860/ - Cached -
Similar

I can't say there was much UFO activity in 1977 so why the movie.

T+L, that realy was a great movie and I think many folks are still completely unaware that the police UFO chase scene was based on real events - as for 1977, it seems there were quite a few freaky reports.

NICAP Reports - 1977

Humanoid Reports - 1977

There was also quite a high number in the October/November period of 1973 - especialy from around the U.S. Mid-West.

Guest Blogger: John Lasker ‘The UFO invasion of October 1973′

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Anymore information on this fascinating case from anyone who has any is highly appreciated.

I´ll second that.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
My mother tells a story of being on a playground, with her sister, as a girl. She says she saw an object lowering over them and pushed her sister's head down to protect her. When asked why she says she was afraid they would hurt her sister's brain. She doesn't tell much more after this but i asked my aunt ,much later, if she also remembers this incident and she did. Although the two of them do not speak of it they both remember it. My aunt told me that my mother pushed her head down before she herself could see anything but that my mom sounded TERRIFIED. This would have been in NE Ohio around the mid 60's

Years later, while looking up similar experiences in Ohio i found the story in the OP. The craft is similar to the thing my mother describes.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is one of my favorite films of all time. I remember my dad taking me to see it when I was quite young.

Any more information on this fascinating case is greatly valued, especially information about the other officers who were in pursuit of the objects that night. I'm guessing back in those days the radio transmissions between the cars and dispatch weren't recorded? It would be great to listen to them if they had been. There must be more official documentation on this event somewhere and I imagine it might take an FOIA request to get it. The problem is knowing where to look and who to ask.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Any more information on this fascinating case is greatly valued, especially information about the other officers who were in pursuit of the objects that night. I'm guessing back in those days the radio transmissions between the cars and dispatch weren't recorded? It would be great to listen to them if they had been. There must be more official documentation on this event somewhere and I imagine it might take an FOIA request to get it. The problem is knowing where to look and who to ask.

Completely in agreement there Jocko and this truly is a fasinating UFO case - I also found it extremely interesting that, as Kandinsky points out on the first page, there was another UFO reported by two other Sheriff Deputies in the same area from ten days earlier:

April 7, 1966; Mansfield, OH

Two sheriffs deputies while on patrol chased a bright round object at high speed, seeing it or a similar object five times. The UFO alternately hovered and sped up, the last time departing vertically upward.

Link

Cheers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join