It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Above BlueBook* - Ohio UFO Chase , Portage County April 17, 1966

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Good article about missing evidence in the Portage County case.

Lost Evidence Case: Persecution of Cops Who Said They Didn’t Chase Venus.

The Sheriff of Portage County, Pennsylvania, was ordered to hide evidence that would have cleared the names of two deputies the media would falsely hype as “cops chasing Venus through three counties.”

But sometimes, you learn as much from what’s missing, as from what’s left out in the open.

And so it was with the missing evidence of Portage, evidence which, by its absence, not only reveals what happened, but shows who was really in charge in 1966 and long after. Who was in charge of the lost, suppressed, and planted evidence of this last infamous case can only have been a group with very high secret clearance and power… enough power to give the orders to the County Sheriff to hide conclusive evidence that it was not Venus the officers chased, but a radar-verifiable, “trace leaving” UFO. And more: to not just deny, but to give out false accounts and inject the lie that the officers were not really there or at least close by when the UFO actually landed. (The Officers were allowed to tell all but there was no evidence except their testimony and since Venus was in that place in the sky it was the pronounced verdict by PBB. There was no planted evidence just absence of evidence)

The County Sheriff of Portage, PA, was even instructed to hide evidence including soil samples of the actual landing site from the officer, the public, and even Project Blue Book…their own USAF’s home team.
Those high-clearance officials coordinated the marginalizing of officers reports which then deverted attention off of who owned the “official looking car”(their car) right next to where the “UFO” had landed . The officers weren’t fired outright but that report lead to dead end careers and harassment and ultimately family problems. Who except the UFO folks followed it anyway.

The County Sheriff of Portage, PA, was even instructed to hide all the evidence as reported by sworn officers of the law --sightings, to radar, to a witnessed UFO landing-- from the investigators in Project Blue Book, the USAF’s home team. Were those high-clearance officials who coordinated first the silencing, then harassment and firing of the local law enforcement convinced that UFOs were so unimportant…that they didn’t want to bother Project Blue Book with the evidence?

Link

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
reply to post by karl 12

thanks karl 12 for posting that newspaper article. excellent find, it say's hundreds of people witnessed ......"floyd"

Easynow,good point and I certainly think this is up there as one of the most important UFO incidents.

I do wonder what happened to the photograph of 'Floyd' that was taken by Police Chief Buchert - as it states in one of the reports "The Air Force told him not to release the photo"

you know it's really amazing how many Police officers have witnessed ufo's.

You're not wrong there mate -I've almost lost count of how many Police UFO incidents there's been over the years - even a person just concentrated solely on these reports then I think its pretty obvious that something is going on.

Police UFO Reports

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Easynow,good point and I certainly think this is up there as one of the most important UFO incidents.

Yes i would have to agree with you on that my friend, this case is a very important part of ufology and it will always be one of my favorites from the 60's UFO flap. looking back now i wish i had done a better job on the opening post because it's poorly written and presented. i didn't realize how important this case was until after i posted it and i think about the old saying "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" every time i see this thread.

i want to say thank you for everything you have contributed to this thread
because it is much appreciated and your input has no doubt helped me to see how significant this story really is.

I do wonder what happened to the photograph of 'Floyd' that was taken by Police Chief Buchert - as it states in one of the reports "The Air Force told him not to release the photo"

i often wonder that myself and of course my first guess would be Hector got a hold of it and it's filed away in some cosmic top secret bunker in Dulce N.M.

on a serious note, i was hoping to ask Michael Nelson (the retired Police officer from Ohio that did the presentation in the videos in the opening post) and see what he knows about the photo but i cannot find any way to contact him. google search failed me on that one and i thought about emailing Mufon for some contact info but the last three emails i sent them i never got a reply so i didn't bother to try.

could Police Chief Buchert still be alive ? probably not but i am wondering if he has some family or friends that might know where the photo is or went ? might be worth checking into , i dunno

You're not wrong there mate -I've almost lost count of how many Police UFO incidents there's been over the years - even a person just concentrated solely on these reports then I think its pretty obvious that something is going on.
Police UFO Reports

i hear ya bro, there have been so many Police sightings it's almost ridiculous. just think about how many officers never reported their sighting because they didn't want to jeopardize their career ? i bet it's quite a few.

and hell Yes there is "something going on" !!!! there are way too many reports of unexplained sightings by credible people and i can honestly tell you, i have seen "Floyd" with my own eyes up close ! do i care if some skeptic doesn't believe me ? nope

here we go, another News article to add to the collection...

LundingtonDailyNews

[edit on 3-3-2010 by easynow]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Hey bud, thanks for the reply and that new article is a beaut.

I certainly don't think you did too bad a job on the OP and it gets the basic facts and testimony across extremely well - probably a little too well as debunker replies on this thread are conspicuous by their absence.

I also agree about the police reports, I'm sure many officers do not report their experiences due to fear of ridicule or harassment - just look what happened to the two policemen in this case!

As for Hector, well its just painstakingly obvious that the man (and his office) had absolutely no regard for objective, impartial investigation.

I think the bottom paragraph of this article just about sums things up.

Blue Book Cooks Its Books

Project Bluebook

It was an organization that

(1) claimed to be the sole repository of military UFO reports, but was not;

(2) was under orders to use any means necessary to identify UFOs as conventional objects, regardless of how strained the explanation became;

(3) intentionally misled the public with meaningless and even fictitious statistics; and

(4) had a barely breathing investigative capability.

The conclusion is self-evident: Blue Book was the mask worn by the Air Force for public viewing. Its UFO reports and evaluations – intellectually dishonest in the extreme – can therefore have no scientific value whatsoever. The fact that the U.S. military and other official sources continue to use them tells us more about the organizations than it does about UFOs.

Link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Easynow - let me know when you're free to start posting again mate as there's some interesting documents below sent to Professor William Powers which mention the possibility of pilots witnessing the object.

William Weitzel letter to Professor William Powers, Dearborn Observatory

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/39b605b1a24c.gif[/atsimg]

At 7:30 in Lisbon, this notation, not a communication, was entered in the Columbiana County radio log: "P-13 contacted a Pittsburgh PD unit and they scrambled some jets, that flew under the object." I have still not located the source of this report..

Monday, April 18, an afternoon NBC news broadcast said a jet trainer with the 459th Troop Carrier Wing, Youngstown AFR, flew near the UFO and heard a humming noise. I have no information on this..

Link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I wonder if it particularly spooked the gov't because it sort of resembled their crashed saucer in Roswell...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Reject, theres a good link below which goes into pretty comprehensive detail about the case and, as well as numerous the police officers who witnessed the 'ice cream cone' shaped object, it was also seen by town residents.

In Benton Harbor in extreme southwestern Michigan, in the early morning hours of April 17, three garbage men making their daily rounds reported seeing an unusual object hovering over a hotel and emitting a light so bright that they insisted they "couldn't look straight at it." (Clark, 457) They notified police, who arrived in time to see the object shortly before it flew away.

Sometime between 5.00 and 5.30 a.m., two couples together in a car driving near New Castle, Pennsylvania reported seeing a bright light moving in the sky. Initially thinking that it was a reflection from an airplane, they stopped the car to get a better look. The object stopped when their car stopped. They quickly became convinced that it was no normal aircraft, due to its shape, which one witness described as resembling an "ice cream cone"

Link

Theres also some revealing information about how investigators and scientists completely rejected the USAF explanation about the object being a 'satellite or planet' yet were completely ignored.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Archive file which covers the Portage County incident and the 1966 US Congressional hearings on UFOs.

Ohio Sheriff's Sighting Instrumental in 1966 Hearings (pdf)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Further information on new witnesses, Major Quintanilla and a photograph taken of the object:

April 1966 Ravena Case Revisited - New Interviews Reported (pdf).

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
WOW! I guess I should start using the search button as there is so many of these fantastic threads deep in the ATS forum archive. Absolutely outstanding thread as always guys and I've only just read the first page. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this excellent presentation!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

Hey Jocko -I don't know when Easynow's postban is up but I'm sure he'd appreciate your comments -this is one of the best threads on the UFO forum (IMHO) and it's still a complete mystery as to what 'Floyd' actualy was.

"The chase finally ended when the cruiser ran out of gas near Pittsburgh.They said the craft they chased was about 50 feet across and 15 to 20 feet high with a large dome on its top and an antenna jutted out from the rear of the dome".

Link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

thanks Jocko Flocko, this Police UFO chase incident is more smoking gun proof that there are objects flying around our skies that are not our craft and because that factoid is one of the governments dirty little secrets, they went out of their way to cover this particular case up.

the PTB don't want everyone to know there is a superior technology to our's and they also don't want us to know the military industrial complex has studied it for decades for military applications.

McDonnell Douglas studied UFOs in the 1960s

reply to post by karl 12

every thing's cool now bro

good link thanks, Buchert's description of the UFO is intriguing to say the least...

Police Chief Gerald Buchert of Mantua saw the object and photographed it in front of his home. He showed a print of his picture to the Plain Dealer but said the Air Force told him not to release it or permit photographs to be taken.

BUCHERT DESCRIBED it as "round when I looked straight up at it, but when it moved to the left--I feel like an idiot saying this--it looked like a saucer, like two table saucers put together."

The photograph showed an object with a very dark bottom and a very light top. Each half seemed to resemble a saucer seen from the side. The lighter top "saucer" was upside down.
www.nicap.org...

we know the photo is MIA but i wonder what happened to the report that was hand delivered to the Condon Committee ??

I personally hand-carried and delivered to Dr. Condon a thick investigation report on the April 17, 1966, Portage County, Ohio, case prepared by William Weitzel. Police in several different jurisdictions had chased a low-level structured object that was emitting a beam of light down to the road. They chased it into Pennsylvania at high speed, and watched as it accelerated upward and disappeared into the star field background (Reference 2.).

It was an impressive case that had caused a stir in Congress, and Weitzel's report was a model of thorough investigation and documentation. When the Condon Committee report was released two years later, I was astonished to find that there was no mention of the case at all I I never learned whether Condon had shared the report with the project staff. It had never occurred to me that he would simply ignore it.
www.nicap.org...

your thread about Dr James. E. McDonald got me wondering if there is any info about this case in his files that are stored at the University of Arizona ?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

might be another avenue of research to check into. i am still trying to figure out a way to contact Michael Nelson. i don't understand why he has fallen off the radar, maybe he got told to shut up about it ? i was looking at Mufon Ohio for contact info and they don't even mention this case on their site !
home.roadrunner.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It's amazing to me that a mans life could be turned completely upside down because he took part in a UFO chase with other police officers while coordinating that chase over the police radio with dispatch. It shows the stigma that has been created by the powers that be and just how effective their plan to make a mockery of UFO witness's has been, especially back in the 60s and 70s.

It's interesting to note that the symbol on the "mystery" vehicle seen at the initial contact point is from the 7th Army division with a slight modification with the added lightning bolt in the center. Have you guys come across any more information on this symbol or how the 7th Army might have been involved with the tracking of aerial phenomenon back in the 60s? I wouldn't be surprised if this modified 7th Army symbol, or something that is similar, is found in an archive someplace in regards to the military and operational sections. Perhaps a special unit from a nearby military base?

Fascinating stuff.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You know who I would LOVE to see finally get their hands dirty in a topic like this? Mr Jim Oberg. He and others avoid topics like this like the plague.

How about it Jim, care to give us an explanation as to what these officers were chasing that night? Perhaps you could fill us in on what the NASA research center in Levitsburg studied? Is it still an active department of NASA?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
How about it Jim, care to give us an explanation as to what these officers were chasing that night?

hmmmm...... i'll try n fill in......

*cough* *cough*

oh com'on..... you can't be serious..... pilots?

These recent examples are consistent with the experience of UFO investigators for more than fifty years. Reports of UFO maneuvering, intelligent flight formations, responses to witnesses, and other 'inexplicable' narratives can be engendered from prosaic, simple, but unfamiliar phenomena. In these cases, "UFO reports", even from pilots, did not need a "real UFO" to create them.

www.zipworld.com.au...

and if that doesn't quench your thirst for ufo mirages....... dive in....

The "Null Hypothesis" for UFO reports, of which I am one of a handful of champions, states that no extraordinary stimuli are required to produce the entire array of public UFO perceptions in all their rich variety, wonderment, and terror. Known phenomena have produced all types of what is commonly known as "UFO reports", including apparitions of flying disks, radar and radio interference, terrifying chases and "intelligent maneuvers", telepathic messages, "missing time" and hypnogenic narratives, recollections of participation in military UFO retrievals, actual "secret documents", and so forth. There seem to be no types of reports which have not been, on record, produced at some point or another by prosaic stimuli and/or circumstances.

www.debunker.com...

loooool..... check out the domain.....

Perhaps you could fill us in on what the NASA research center in Levitsburg studied? Is it still an active department of NASA?

well they were busy with the project to identify the phenomenon behind the 'triangle' sightings....... its closed now..... mission was accomplished....

"On three consecutive nights during the Starfest star party in August 1996, a formation of 3 unblinking starlike objects in a flattened triangular configuration was seen cruising across the star fields by dozens of observers. Veteran stargazers at the meeting had never seen anything like it."

Consultations with amateur satellite-watchers soon identified the sighting as another "NOSS triplet" formation. Computer predictions based on known orbits showed the man-made space objects had indeed been passing overhead at the time of the sightings.

www.space.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

Pretty good, your Oberg emulation is bang on.

With all this planet Venus talk and the morons that use it to explain away well documented cases, I'm going to shoot some footage of Venus next time I'm up flying at night north of the city here in Toronto. It will give people an idea of just how much of a complete incompetent idiot you would have to be to mistake it for a "UFO" when seen from the cockpit of an aircraft...

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

but seriously.... those are indeed his own materials*....

* smileys excluded...
(with all due respect jim; no offense

talkin of prosaic mundane'ties..... cosmic rays popped up in buzz 'the bser' aldrin's thread....

anyways.... it all seems like a big joke..... gotta ride the waves.... all the best to you in your chase of the ufos.... wooops... i mean venus

cherio

hey easynow..... welcome back.... good to see you....

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

every thing's cool now bro

we know the photo is MIA but i wonder what happened to the report that was hand delivered to the Condon Committee ??

I personally hand-carried and delivered to Dr. Condon a thick investigation report on the April 17, 1966, Portage County, Ohio, case prepared by William Weitzel. Police in several different jurisdictions had chased a low-level structured object that was emitting a beam of light down to the road. They chased it into Pennsylvania at high speed, and watched as it accelerated upward and disappeared into the star field background.

It was an impressive case that had caused a stir in Congress, and Weitzel's report was a model of thorough investigation and documentation. When the Condon Committee report was released two years later, I was astonished to find that there was no mention of the case at all I I never learned whether Condon had shared the report with the project staff. It had never occurred to me that he would simply ignore it.
www.nicap.org...

Easynow -jolly good to see you back matey!

You make a very good point about the Weitzel report -I wonder what the dickens happened to that then?

If this statement made by the Project Administrator is anything to go by then Dr Condon probably threw it in the bin.

"Our study would be conducted exclusively by "Non Believers". The trick would be, I think, to describe the project so that to the public it would appear totally objective study.
Conclusion...There is no secrecy and no evidence that such objects even exist."

Memorandum from Robert Low (before the report was started) - Project Administrator CONDON Report to Colorado University V.P. Thurston Marshall

Link

Also found this other report from MUFON in 2009 which sounds quite similar to the Portage case -it also involves claims of a police car in Indiana chasing a UFO (just how many strange police reports from that area is that now?)

Witnesses see UFO on rural road, then unmarked police car racing toward it

An Indiana witness is reporting a "huge, greyish colored disc" that dropped quickly below the clouds and then moved just as quickly back up into the sky on July 19, 2009, according to testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) database.

The incident occurred along a rural stretch of Pennville Road. The object is described as being larger than the minivan being driven. The object also had a "glowing characteristic" to it.

Unsure if the two events are related, the reporting witness mentions that shortly after the incident, as the road intersected with Route 40, an unmarked, white police car with "blacked out wheels came squealing off of U.S. 40 headed south."

"Keep in mind that we were out in the 'boonies' at about 10:30-11:00 at night. We didn't pass any accidents, and didn't see anything suspicious (except for the disc.) There wasn't any other traffic on the road that night. He could have been responding to an emergency, but, the coincidence really unnerved me."

Link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

It's interesting to note that the symbol on the "mystery" vehicle seen at the initial contact point is from the 7th Army division with a slight modification with the added lightning bolt in the center. Have you guys come across any more information on this symbol or how the 7th Army might have been involved with the tracking of aerial phenomenon back in the 60s? I wouldn't be surprised if this modified 7th Army symbol, or something that is similar, is found in an archive someplace in regards to the military and operational sections. Perhaps a special unit from a nearby military base?

Fascinating stuff.

Jocko -have never come across the 7th Army division in regard to any other case but Frank Riccardi makes some interesting comments below (have no idea how reliable they are though).

Cops Chase UFO - 'Seven Steps To Hell' Enigma Solved.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a9a42147e83b.jpg[/atsimg]

"Seven Steps To Hell" is an unofficial tab [used in Germany as a "badge of honor"] under the 7th's "Pyramid Of Power" patch. A lightning bolt would have been added by a Military Intelligence Unit. The 7th Army's Headquarters is still located at Stuffgart-Vaihingen, Germany. Now you have to ask what are they doing in the states? Well, a reserve Military Intelligence Unit The 353rd Comm Recon Co (Scty) of the 7th was moved to Pennsylvania in 1954. Was it one of the fabled Nazi Discs?

Perhaps they were tracking a true alien craft. The eyewitness accounts and new information uncovered by Frank Riccardi of Eyepod.Org attest to the fact that the 7th was there, with their radio equipment. Whatever the craft was the United States Military was tracking it and had arrived shortly before Deputy Sheriff Dale Spaur, and Special Deputy W.L. Neff arrived on scene. Full story, photo of the patch, and relavent links pertaining to the actual existence of the patch are on site at Eyepod.Org. This explains the harassment of the witnesses and the Military's quick move to orchestrate a full cover-up. Dale Spaur of course suffered the most..

Link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
""Well, a reserve Military Intelligence Unit The 353rd Comm Recon Co (Scty) of the 7th was moved to Pennsylvania in 1954. ""

I think there's our answer right there Karl. I would bet that if we dug deep about the background of The 353rd Comm Recon we would hit a massive brick wall in terms of getting information about their activities and history. I would however bet my life savings on the fact that documentation does indeed exist about this arm of the military that is locked away and labeled "Classified" or "Top Secret" someplace.

I'm wondering if one of our American friends on this board filed an FOIA request we might get some more information, but I hazard to guess it would be a complete waste of time as FOIA's about sensitive information are usually stone-walled for long periods of time.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by Jocko Flocko]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join