It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Columbia Crew Mistaken for Iraqi War Casualties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
As if this situation could not get any worse, it just has. In a statement released by NASA, it confirms that at least 70 photos are of the Columbia Crews Remains. These images are still available on most Mainstream News' Websites.

Drudge Report

'An initial review of the images featured on the Internet site www.thememoryhole.org shows that more than 18 rows of images from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware are actually photographs of honors rendered to Columbia's seven astronauts,' NASA said.

NASA's Statement:

April 23, 2004
Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

NOTE TO EDITORS: n04-059

COLUMBIA CREW MISTAKENLY IDENTIFIED AS IRAQI WAR CASUALTIES

Many news organizations across the country are mistakenly identifying the flag-draped caskets of the
Space Shuttle Columbia's crew as those of war casualties from Iraq.

Editors are being asked to confirm that the images used in news reports are in fact those of
American casualties and not those of the NASA astronauts who were killed Feb.1, 2003, in the
Columbia tragedy.

An initial review of the images featured on the Internet site www.thememoryhole.org shows that more
than 18 rows of images from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware are actually photographs of honors
rendered to Columbia's seven astronauts.

News organizations across the world have been publishing and distributing images featured on the web
site.

-end-

WOW. First Banshees discovery of the N. Korean Train crash Aerial photos, now this?
How could the media mistake these. I believe they have been released before, would they not be on file? These are two serious mixups.

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The media are jumping the gun a lot lately. For at least half a day or so, they were reporting 3000 dead in N. Korea, and they weren't following it or leading it up with 'report unconfirmed' or anything. I don't think the television news media care much anymore what they report, or whether it's accurate. They just want people to tune in immediately. Maybe they aren't doing as well as they would have us believe? I mean, with no money for people to spend on stuff, I imagine their sponsors are hurting, and so it would make sense just to do anything to get an audience.

Mainstream news media is a whore, anyway.

[edit]I really hope they screwed up the Pat Tillman story... Not only would the mainstream news media have egg on the foot that's always in their face, but come on, Tillman is a hero ALIVE!

DeltaChaos

[Edited on 24-4-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
wow Im speachless. I mean come on people. This is truly a good reason y the major media outlets are slowly fading out./

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Someone in a high place has to be toying with the media. They cant be that ignorant, maybe they are. Hopefully these mistakes will open the publics eyes to all the deception that goes on in the name of money, politics, ect..

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
That's quite a big mistake... long running, and seemingly far-reaching...

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I think what's happening is that the TV media is trying to keep up with the internet. And it can't. Furthermore, images frome the Columbia crew might've been used to avoid pressue from the Pentagon. All that matters is that the people think that those caskets came out of Iraq. "If you lie big enough anyone will believe .... "

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Don't you think that somebody...ANYBODY...in the mainstream press would have recognized these as photos of the Columbia Crew?? Someone needs desparately to get fired!

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Have you noticed that AP has in NO WAY corrected the caption on the screencap they have!

story.news.yahoo.com.../040423/480/ny12704230024

Here is how it reads right now:

"A page from the Memory Hole.org's homepage shows photographs of American war dead arriving at Dover Air Force, the nation's largest military mortuary, Thursday, April 22, 2004. The photographs were released last week to First Amendment activist Russ Kick, who had filed a Freedom of Information Act request to receive the images. After the posting of more than 350 photographs on his Web site, the Defense Department barred the further release of the photographs to media outlets. (AP Photo/thememoryhole.org)"

Nobody's dickin' with the media...they're dickin' with us!

[Edited on 4-25-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Flag-Draped Coffins Said Those Of Shuttle Columbia Crew
Posted Apr 25, 2004 09:58 AM PST
A pathetic propaganda dodge. There are far more than 7 coffins in most of those photos, and no flag of either India (Astronaut Kalpana Chawla ) or Israel (Astronaut Ilan Ramon) to be seen anywhere.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
These photos are posted on our website.

It there a 'top secret' space shuttle mission I've missed.

I count 20 caskets.

May our prays be with these fallen individuals.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
There are about 70 photos that are of The Columbia Crew. Most of the Photos are legit, such as the ones in the Aircraft, the ones they are pointing to are the ones of the arrival at Dover AFB.

This Link will take you to some of the photos, these are of the Columbia crew.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
thememoryhole.org updated its page and seperated the photos when NASA released that email.

www.thememoryhole.org...

They also added this clarification.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashley
Flag-Draped Coffins Said Those Of Shuttle Columbia Crew
Posted Apr 25, 2004 09:58 AM PST
A pathetic propaganda dodge. There are far more than 7 coffins in most of those photos, and no flag of either India (Astronaut Kalpana Chawla ) or Israel (Astronaut Ilan Ramon) to be seen anywhere.

Was it seven crew who died in the Columbia event? I believe the number was at least very close to seven, and think seven probably is the correct, exact, number.

The question was meant rather rhetorically; the point being that eighteen rows of coffins could not possibly be of the relatively few people who died in that Columbia accident. Eighteen coffins, even if side-by-side and thus providing eighteen rows consisting of one coffin each, would be too many; let alone eighteen rows of multiple coffins each.

"A pathetic propaganda dodge." Certainly seems to be that, propaganda, and an awfully pathetic attempt.

The suspicion of propaganda is also well supported by the fact that Bush et al have been working to avoid showing pictures of coffins of troops returned from Iraq. This has been an incessant matter, for them to keep this information suppressed.

The lies don't cease; being relentlessly manufactured.

Edit: By the way, as those of you who have been using this site's forums for some time will recognize, I'm new, here; and, given that I have not yet introduced myself in the forum reserved for that purpose, I'll just say: a) hello; and, b) it's good to see that there are people communicating on rather important, while un-/under-reported stories, and sharing related views.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by mikecorbeil]

new topics

top topics

join