It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy to kill the electronic cigarette?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hahahaha, those crooked mother #ers, thanks for the post.

"OH WE UH.. HAVENT CHECKED IF THIS E-CIG IS SAFE OR NOT, SO WE'LL GONNA TRY TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL WHILE ALLOWING THE REAL DANGEROUS CIGS STILL BE SOLD AROUND THE NATION!"

#ing bastards, # them to hell.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I know two people who smoked for over 20 years until they got one of these. Both of them havent smoked a real cigarette in months. I dont see what the big deal is about them if they are less harmful than real ones. I guess the tobacco companies dont want to lose any money...figures!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have to thank ATS for all of the information on these e-cigarettes. I ordered my first e-cigarette 3 weeks ago. I smoke (1) pack a day for the past 10 years, and have tried everything to quit. Well (2) weeks ago I smoked my first e-cigarette and haven't smoked a regular cigarette.

But here is the amazing part, about 4 days after starting the e-cig I quit smoking it and haven't had any cigarettes since then. To me this is amazing. Just thought I would share my experience.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am a smoker. I' love to try these things but can't afford to.

I went to a website this guy is on months ago when I first heard about this and made him my "foe" much like on here..it's a website made so people and politicians would have a forum to communicate. I forget the name of the site.. I send him an open letter criticizing him of this when there is no smoke.. it has to be better for you than cigarettes so why don't he propose the same study on cigs? He never answered me.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I am a smoker. I' love to try these things but can't afford to.

I wanted to try these about a year ago, but did have a bit of trouble finding them in the U.S. Read something a few weeks ago which indicated they're now available and did a bit of research. I ordered my first e cigs about 3 weeks ago and have had them for about 10 days now and, gotta say, they're great.

I've smoked for about 40 years, probably averaging a pack a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Since receiving the e cigs, I've not had a regular cigarette - no desire to. These things are simply like changing brands. The difficulty for me, I think, in quitting, was not so much the nicotine addiction as the 'act of smoking.' These e cigs allow me to do that (while getting the nicotine) without the 4000 odd other gasses, chemicals, etc. I can already tell some difference in my respiratory system and, in general, feel better.

As to being able to afford them - they're actually significantly cheaper than regular cigarettes. I started with a $59.95 starter kit which included basically 2 e cigs (2 batteries, 2 atomizers), a 'carton' of 25 cartridges, and two chargers. The company states each cartridge is approximately the equivalent of 15 cigarettes. Some reviews rate them more like 7 - half that. I've found that I use 2 cartridges a day, so that's, I'm guessing, the equivalent of about 10 per for me.

New 'cartons' of 25 cartridges are $25 each with a quantity discount, i.e., $80 for 4 'cartons.' So, basically, they range from 80 cents to a dollar each, depending on your buying habits. I've decided on 4 at a time for the savings - that means 100 cartidges, or over a month and a half supply, for $80. I do figure also to purchase 2 batteries and 2 atomizers per order as well at $9.95 per pair ($20 total) for a total cost of $100 per month and a half. It should be noted that the company I'm using offers free shipping.

In short, I'm now looking at roughly $67 per month for e cigs as opposed to about $150 per month for regular cigarettes (at $5.00 a pack currently, even by the carton). That means the starter kit I began with is covered the first month, plus I'll be spending less than half what I have been now - a good little savings. As far as maintenance, the batteries and atomizers are already built in; if a new charger is needed once or twice a year, no big deal, they're $9.95 for two - one AC Adapter and one USB charger for on-the-go laptop charging.

Another thing I've noticed; as another poster mentioned, I've found that all my nicotine and smoking cravings are met, but I'm actually using the e cigs a bit less each day with no increased desire. I've not figured that one out yet.

These are such a simple and effective product, I don't know why they haven't been around for years. I certainly understand why the cigarette lobbies are trying to keep them off the market; however, I doubt they will succeed now as e cigs become increasingly popular. I do believe they're the smoking wave of the future.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

Finally found the "smoking gun" (pun very much intended) that provides the motive for the crime committed by state and federal government agencies, namely the malicious manslaughter of millions of smokers and non-smokers, of allowing the tobacco companies to addict and poison Americans, despite the evidence of addiction, disease and premature death of tobacco users over the past many decades.

Basically, by prematurely killing off smokers, and a few innocent bystanders and family members (both from second-hand smoke and the occasional house fire), the government and corporate employers not only profit directly from sales and taxes, but actually save money by not paying paying an average of 14 years of social security and housing expenses for the elderly, Medicare, Medicaid, and yearly pension checks. These savings due to the death of smokers is referred to as "external positive effects of smoking."

It also proves that the justification for the extra "tobacco tax" is a fraud, over and above the fact that only about 3% of that money is actually used for anti-smoking programs and health care for victims of smoking related expenses.

These facts expose perhaps the most important reason for the suppression attempts against the electronic cigarette industry - it does not offer comparable "external positive effects of smoking," which government and corporate interests have become dependent on. Nicotine users must die to keep the economy healthy.

----------------------------------------- QUOTE -----------------------------------------

> This report details the findings of a study commissioned by Philip Morris CR a.s. and undertaken by Arthur D. Little to quantify the effects of smoking on the public finance balance in the Czech Republic in 1999. The objective was to determine whether costs imposed on public finance by smokers are offset by tobacco-related tax contributions and external positive effects of smoking.
>
> The study entailed analysis of data from scientific journals, reports by international and national health institutions, official statistics published by the Czech Statistical Office, data provided by the General Health Insurance Company and interviews with experts in health care, smoking, epidemiology and economics.
>
----------------------------------------- END QUOTE -----------------------------------------

The link below takes you to the study which documents the savings to government and industry when smokers die prematurely, namely the various payments (social security, medical treatment, housing and pensions), that don't have to be paid. While this study was not done in the US (did they think no one would find it?) it is obvious that similar, if not financially greater, results could be expected in the USA.

Phillip Morris Study on Financial Savings due to the Premature Deaths of Smokers

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
New Scientist recently carried a small article on the level of nicotine in e-cigs & the errors in their labelling, etc., & I think made mention of some possible negative effects of nicotine if it leaks from the device.

Found it - overall the effect was nothing compared to the effect of the coctail of rubbish that gets put into tobacco to "improve flavour"!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Interesting thread, I have been on the patch for two years... I figure it's cheaper than ciggarettes at this point and not as bad for me. My father in law chewed the gum for nine years.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Is it possible to state the brands of e-cigs u guys are using? I have been smoking for 12 years, i smoke camel blues(formerly known as lights) and anywhere from half pack to a pack a day. I am searching forms to find the best one, the one that has nicotine and really hits like a cigarette, i would like to hear some suggestions. Thanks

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I smoked amost a pack a day for 4 years. In september, I ordered a top of the line electronic cig, it arrived on the 28th or 29th, and Oct 1st was the last time I smoked a regular cigarette. I've cut back on using the electronic cigarette, and rarely have the cravings I used to have every hour or so.

And....this is a pretty regular occurance for everyone I know who has made the switch. My girlfriend has quit regular cigarettes to. This is beyond hypocritical. Yes, I agree, electronic cigarettes aren't the healthiest thing to put in your body. But the sure as hell are healthier than a regular cigarette. How can one logically argue to ban electronic cigarettes, which are far healthier, while hundreds of thousands of people die every year from tobacco products. Ban the real cigarettes first! Although, I would be 100% against that to.

Our goverment continues to amaze me. If you're going to ban electronic cigs, how about banning everthing else which is unhealthier. Fastfood, alcohol, tobacco, candy, processed food, etc.. When I go out every day, I see one unhealthy American after another. How about dealing witht the obesity epedemic. What's worse for you. A few drags off an electronic cig, or a 250lb woman going to McDonalds for the 4th time this week? Electronic cig, or a few cocktails every evening with dinner? Electronic cigs, or the fact the majority of the people I know haven't excercised regularly in years?

Government seems to want to band things which don't take much effort. Fining people for being obese would be far more effective, but that would mean people would have to either pay a large fine, or exercise daily and change their eating habits. America is to lazy for that. It's funny to me, in a sick way, that the same politicians who are probably pushing to ban electronic cigs, go home and have a few drinks every night while resting their gin and tonic on their potbelly.

After working in the fitness business for years, I saw that the majority of Americans are unhealthy, and 99.9% of causes had nothing to do with how an electronic cig could effect you. Most are just lazy, overeaters, who shovel processed crap in their mouths all day, sit on their # all night, and criticize others for the dangers of 2nd hand smoke.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Tey're far cheaper than regular cigs. Even the top of the line models. The startup costs will be between $50-70. But after that initial investment, you'll find you spend far less every month. I haven't smoked a real cig in about 17 weeks. Each month I save at least $100, usually a little more, depending on how much of the electronic cig fluid I go through.

I pack a day for me cost roughly $38 per week, before taxes. I was spending over $150 a month, on regular cigs. 4 months later I've saved over $400, breath easier, no weezing, skin looks better, hair looks better, almost no cravings, and can't stand the smell of a regular cig anymore. Do with this info what you like, but I thought it might be helpful if I told how it has had a profound impact on my life.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Although I am against an outright ban of e-cigarettes, I do think they should fall under the purview of the FDA and the sale of them be Federally regulated, just as cigarettes are.

The reasons are not because of the e-cigarette device but because of the contents of the cartridges themselves.

The cartridges, depending on the manufacturer, may contain 0 - 6% Nicotene and 0-4.5% Tobacco Essence. All of the other substances contained in them are no different than most inhalers.

So, although they could be marketed as a health-risk free smoking alternative, and that would be true for those cartridges that contain 0% Nicotene and 0% Tobacco Essence, other cartridges that do contain those substances would carry the same health risks that come with smoking normal cigarettes.

Since the contents may contain the same substances as other Tobacco Products such as cigarettes, they should be regulated in the same fashion.

I strongly disagree.

The only thing in e-cigs that is toxic is the nicotine. It takes 60 mg of nicotine to cause death in an adult non smoker ( someone not used to the nicotine). 60 mg of nicotine is the amount found in about 500 cigarettes if all that nicotine were absorbed all at once. The amount of nicotine in one cigarette would be enough to cause a toddler to become ill IF that toddler could absorb all that nicotine. This just does not happen from second hand smoke, if it did we would see thousands of toddlers being rushed to the hospital every time someone smokes around them. We do not. Most of the time nicotine poisoning does show up in children is due to ingestion - the children eat the tobacco from cigarettes or cigarette butts.

You can see from this how harmless nicotine really is.

Your " 0-4.5% Tobacco Essence" is just a FDA approved flavoring. The other ingredients include propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin. These are FDA approved food additives. Propylene glycol, is even used in asthma inhalers and nebulizers since the 50's.

They would Not carry the same health risks as cigarettes. In burnt tobacco products there are over 4000 chemicals. At least 69 of these are known to cause cancer. Nicotine is not one of these cancer causing agents.
You do not have any of those 4000 chemicals or the 69 cancer causing agents in E-cigarettes. ( accept the harmless nicotine, addictive yes, harmful, no)

The FDA would only seek to regulate them not because they are a health risk, but to make money off of them. I think the FDA has taken away enough of our freedoms and made too much money off of the chemicals they put in our foods they don't even disclose - their track record stinks - and you think they will do something good for us? You're dreaming.

Since 2004 when they first hit the market, there has never been one sickness or death or other health related problem reported with e-cigarettes usage. The FDA cannot say that about Killers like Chantix that is Known to cause people to be depressed to the point of killing themselves yet they refuse to pull the product off the market for financial gain. And you can buy bottles of nicotine to mix your flavored nicotine juice yourself. No one has abused this and have gotten sick or died from it. There have been thousands of people who have regained lost health due to e-cigarettes helping them quit smoking.

No, I see no reason for the FDA to ruin this good thing for everyone and line their fat pockets on our expense.
edit on 21-4-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
It seems we in the UK are taking the approach of waiting on the studies and input from all parties before making a decision on which direction to take..

The MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) announced a further 18 months of research into the electronic cigarette and other NCPs before a decision on regulation could be formulated..

The E-Gic industry in the UK agrees that some form of regulation is needed but it should be in conjunction with all parties to ensure the quality of the products we purchase. Personally as an ECig user I am really pleased with the outcome as it could have meant an instant ban in the UK..
edit on 21/4/11 by thoughtsfull because: rubbish grammar

top topics

<< 1   >>

join