It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students disciplined for praying can sue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Students disciplined for praying can sue

www.sfgate.com

(04-09) 16:55 PDT ALAMEDA -- Two students who were threatened with suspension at the College of Alameda after one of them prayed with an ailing teacher in a faculty office can sue the community college district for allegedly violating their freedom of speech, a federal judge has ruled.

The students, Kandy Kyriacou and Ojoma Omaga, said college officials at first told them they were being suspended for "disruptive behavior," then held disciplinary hearings and sent them letters warning that they would be punished if they prayed in a teacher's office again.

The women sued, and U.S. District Judge Susan Illston ruled in San Francisco that their case could proceed, saying a college student has the right to pray in private outside the classroom.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Regardless whether you are Christian or not, these two people where not only exercising their right to free speech, they where more importantly exercising an act of unconditional love to another.

As a Christian I will always pray when and where I feel lead to.

I care not of consequences for such an act of love.

What do other Christians and non-Christians think about prayer in public?

And any other comments you may have in relation to this story?

Thank you!

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-4-2009 by DarksDeception]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarksDeception

What do other Christians and non-Christians think about prayer in public?

I am not a cristian, I dont follow any religion although I do believe in god.

To answer your question, If you want to pray in public, I say more power to you, and I mean that, no matter what your religion is.

Who am I to tell some one that they can not practice their faith? I am no one in that respect.

You want to pray? You want to worship? Be my guest!

[edit on 10-4-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
This is ridiculous !

Recently to a Nurse in a hospital in the UK was suspended for asking a patient if they wanted her to pray for them,

Faith, religion is becoming non acceptable in society, but being balddered and vomiting on a friday night for the majority of the young is fine,

A real sign of the times.

Elf

new topics

top topics

join