It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 engine aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
have any 3 engine fighter jets ever been built or tested in the past or present just wanderin

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
that might be alittle in-efficiant(sorry about my horrible spelling)

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
probably. normally though, they're built with only one or two engines, due to weight and manueverability.

by the way, you should have consolidated this into your other thread.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
ok i was just wanderin if it was attempted or anything i figured it would be inefficient

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
There are no fighter aircraft with three jet engines all of the same type, however there are plenty of 3 engined transports and a few 3 engine bombers.

I can think of only two 3-engined jet fighters-

Yakovlev Yak-41 / Yak-141
Nato designation "Freestyle"
V/STOL multirole fighter, rather similar to JSF. Project is struggling on small budget, and not really going anywhere now. Some Yak-141 people jumped ship to work on JSF, while Yakovlev themselves are entertaining investors in South America and Asia to continue Yak-141 development.
engines:
1 x Kobchenko/Soyuz R-79V-300
2 x Glushenko/Rybinsk RD-41

Yakovlev Yak-36MP / Yak-38
Nato designation "Forger"
VTOL naval strike aircraft. Approximately 230 built. Operational on Kiev class light carriers and the Admiral Gorshkov. Essentially retired since 1993 as Russian Navy no longer has carriers at sea.
engines:
1 x Tumansky/Soyuz R-27V-300 (typical) or 1 x Lyulka AL-21 (only Yak-38I)
2 x Koliesov RD-36-35FV(Yak-36M), RD-36-35FVR(Yak-38)

Yak V/STOL history: Les Yakovlev � d�collage vertical

Yak-141:

Yak-38:

Both:

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
yak-141 was also the FIRST ssupersonic VSTOL aircraft in the world.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amet Khan
There are no fighter aircraft with three jet engines all of the same type

I wouldn't say that... though I can't imagine that happening. 1,2,4,5,6,8 are the common engine amounts actually.

With Pulse Detonation Wave... you almost only need 1 or 2. I do not think 3 engines will occur.

However... different typ like you said... there are planes with different types of engines on board... but, none of them have 3.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flanker

No, not really. You ignore that the BAe Sea Harrier can reach Mach 1.3 in a dive in clean configuration. A prepared Yak-38 also reached Mach 1.2 in a dive.

Yak-141 is however the first VSTOL aircraft to accelerate through Mach 1 in level flight, with a top speed of M 1.65.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
ok thinks for posting this stuff

al ot of this stuff i didnt know but i wasnt talkin bout big aircraft that have their engines on their wings

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

al ot of this stuff i didnt know but i wasnt talkin bout big aircraft that have their engines on their wings

You mean planes like the B-2 Bomber which has 8 jet engines, 4 on each wing in groups of 2??
www.darklair.com...

Several were stationed at an RAF Base in the UK at the begining of the Iraqi War

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
u mean the b-52 not the b-2 but the b-52 is wat imean exactly thats wat i wasnt talkin about

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
those r pretty cool planes......
but i'd say that the sr-71 blackbird is sexier!
awwww yea.......

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
silq how come when ever we talk about aircraft u are always bringin up the blackbird and then talkin about how sexy it is u r obsessed with that u should get a tattoo of the blackbird

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
mabye he need to go to blackbird rehab
hmm 3 engines never actully seen 1 well those old german planes with 3 probs but they were just weird

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Hehe, cheers i meant the B-52 yeah, my apologies for reading wrong before n all
my bad

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
i understand man i make mistakes too we all do just pointin it out so u dont do it again

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Well, I think that a B-52 is sexy, but, then again, I worked on 'em in the Air Force. (That pic is of an H model, by the way. I worked on Gs.)

Back on topic, there are plenty of commercial and private 3 engine aircraft, but I don't know of any fighters off the top of my head.

posted on Sep, 11 2022 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flanker

The Yak-141 actually wasn't the first supersonic VTOL aircraft. The EWR VJ 101C (jointly developed by Messerschmitt, Bolkow, and Heinkel) and the Dassault Mirage IIIV were the first VTOL jet planes to go supersonic. Hawker Siddeley proposed a supersonic VTOL jet fighter for the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy, the P.1154, but this was never built.

Links:
www.robertcmason.com...
www.luftfahrtmuseum-hannover.de...
www.dassault-aviation.com...

new topics

top topics

join