It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Extra-Terrestrial Timeline

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

You left out the most obvious explanations in your "what are UFOs" page. You need a list of facts before the speculations:
- misidentification of astronomic objects (meteors, planets, moon, ...),
- misidentification of man made objects (suspended lights, aircrafts, missiles, balloons, satellites, falling debris, ...),
- misidentification of atmospheric phenomena, well known (clouds, smoke rings, refractions, contrails, ...) and more mysterious (plasma),
- photographic artifacts ("orbs", "rods", lens flares, emulsion defects, ...),
- hoaxes.
These cover most UFO cases.

Your pro/con UFO view is a caricature. As a skeptic I do not rule out ANY hypothesis in general. The skeptics' methodology is to looks for prosaic explanations, because they are far more likely, and because their properties are known, which makes objective verifications possible.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
starred and flagged.

It's interesting to see the reports throughout history, at least the ones that were recorded. They've been watching for a long time, it appears.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

1347 Europe, Black Plaque, 1347-50: Reports from this period feature strange cigar-like objects flying low through the sky and dispensing noxiuos mists. Soon after these objects would pass by plague would break out in the area. Other reports contain sightings of MIB-like, scythe wielding "reapers" clad in black hoods and robes, mysterously slaughtering cattle and other animals.

I've heard a lot of the stories you have listed here but I haven't heard many of the chinese ones... this one in particular interests me, can you provide a source please?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Edit: Post later!

[edit on 6-4-2009 by mikesingh]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Skeptics would say:

Hallucimation.
Fertile imagination.
Religious rituals.

Like I've seen flying saucers too. My wife throws them at me all the time!!
Darn! I think I'm gonna draw these in some cave. Explorers a thousand years from now would probably discover it and declare that the artist drew what look like flying saucers!! Yep! They would be right!!

Seriously, this thread is good stuff. There are more related threads doing the rounds on ATS presently. I think all this should be collected and archived as there's a lot of new stuff from ATSers.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

This is the one that caught my eye that's why I highlighted the date and I have been trying to find more on it every since. I have found a little and I will post it as soon as I am done with.

edit: for redundancy

[edit on 6-4-2009 by esteay812]

Here are a couple links to the Pneumonic Plague or Black Death and correlating UFO sightings.

www.4truthseekers.org...

www.think-aboutit.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The one that sparks real interest is when Alexander the Great was trying to cross a river when he and his army was attacked by flying objects, does anyone have the link to the source?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 38181

I am sure the source is on the net like the title suggests, but they should have listed it. Maybe a search will do the trick, you may have to do a few different searches and try different search engines too, that should help. I really like that one as well, hardly ever heard of and from a very famous and respected source.

ufo.whipnet.org...

edit: for link

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Is there a single person on here that has actually seen an Alien?

I DO NOT believe they exist.

Accept for the Mexicans of course that cross the border.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Found one source, but no references are found,
www.ufoevidence.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 38181

Posted one above for you. Check it out, it has some illustrations and an elongatated story about the encounter and others from his journeys as well (I think, I haven't had the chance to read it entirely)

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme

Probably my biggest beef with this thread is the topic title. I think it would have been more accurate if it was called something like: A Timeline of Non-Human Intervention.

What makes you so sure they they aren't human?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nablator
reply to post by Xtraeme

You left out the most obvious explanations in your "what are UFOs" page. You need a list of facts before the speculations:
- misidentification of man made objects (suspended lights, aircrafts, missiles, balloons, satellites, falling debris, ...),
- misidentification of atmospheric phenomena, well known (clouds, smoke rings, refractions, contrails, ...) and more mysterious (plasma),
- hoaxes.

Your pro/con UFO view is a caricature. As a skeptic I do not rule out ANY hypothesis in general. The skeptics' methodology is to looks for prosaic explanations, because they are far more likely, and because their properties are known, which makes objective verifications possible.

Tell me. Which civilization on earth had aircraft from 4000 b.c. to 1879 a.d.? I know what your thinking a pre-20th century black government project right? Oh i know what it is. A giant earthenware bird. Yup that's gotta be it. Oh wait no a meteor that slows down then speeds up. Wait an asteroid that stops and then "gives birth" to other asteroids that are in our atmosphere but doesn't seem to fall. Yup the OP is full of crap i tell ya! We had airplanes before the 1900s!!!! Oh yeah can't forget that our ancestors where too stupid to identify the MOON!!! We had Satellites and missiles pre 1900s too!! Yup those ancient planes satellites and missiles making all those ancient smoke rings and contrails must be the cause for all these ancient ufo sightings. Plus you cant forget about all the ancient space junk we left up there. Also can't forget about the abundance of balloons in the sky then too!!! Had to monitor the ancient weather somehow.

GIVE ME A BREAK DUDE!!!!

PWNT!! Just fyi....

[edit on 6-4-2009 by DaMod]

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

The time-line is appalling. My first objection to it is that it rarely references the source material, so the reader is expected to take their word for it, or spend time chasing down the references. That should be considered sloppy no matter where you stand on the subject.

Almost all of them turn out to be like the Ezekiel quote. e.g. far more complicated than implied. Every time I've looked into such things the theories have crumbled.

I didn't know civilisations didn't have flight before 1879.

I must have been mistaken, by reading things like this

"Unmanned hot air balloons are popular in Chinese history. Zhuge Liang of the Shu Han kingdom, in the Three Kingdoms era (220-280 AD) used airborne lanterns for military signaling. These lanterns are known as Kongming lanterns (孔明灯)",

or this

"Around 400 BCE, Archytas, the Ancient Greek philosopher, mathematician, astronomer, statesman, and strategist, may have designed and built the earliest known flying device based on a bird-shaped model and it is claimed to have flown some 200 meters. This machine, which its inventor called The Pigeon (Greek: Περιστέρα "Peristera"), may have been suspended on a wire or pivot for its flight. The Kongming lantern (proto hot air balloon) was known in China from ancient times. Its invention is usually attributed to the general Zhuge Liang (180-234 AD, honorific title Kongming), who is said to have used them to scare the enemy troops".

If the evidence supports a theory, people reference it, if it doesn't you just have a list of opinions and dates.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Originally posted by nablator
reply to post by Xtraeme

- hoaxes.

Tell me. Which civilization on earth had aircraft from 4000 b.c. to 1879 a.d.? I know what your thinking a pre-20th century black government project right? Oh i know what it is. A giant earthenware bird. Yup that's gotta be it. Oh wait no a meteor that slows down then speeds up. Wait an asteroid that stops and then "gives birth" to other asteroids that are in our atmosphere but doesn't seem to fall. Yup the OP is full of crap i tell ya! We had airplanes before the 1900s!!!! Oh yeah can't forget that our ancestors where too stupid to identify the MOON!!! We had Satellites and missiles pre 1900s too!! Yup those ancient planes satellites and missiles making all those ancient smoke rings and contrails must be the cause for all these ancient ufo sightings. Plus you cant forget about all the ancient space junk we left up there. Also can't forget about the abundance of balloons in the sky then too!!! Had to monitor the ancient weather somehow.

GIVE ME A BREAK DUDE!!!!

PWNT!! Just fyi....

[edit on 6-4-2009 by DaMod]

*L* I loved your reply.
No matter, though. Pseudo-skeptics will allways dismiss all possibilities of ET-visitation before 1947, and according to most of them, that was no ET-visitation anyway, but a balloon or the Goverment riding in a chinese Lantern.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
They do a re-enactment of the 1942 Los Angeles incident every year in my hometown which is right on the L.A. harbor.

Air Raid 1942

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
all of that.. then you factor in the thousands of other reported sightings, reported abductions, crop circles, area 51, government secrecy of the subject, bible passages about fallen angels ruling in the heavens and earth..

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
There are probably a whole lot more that are not even written down. I believe that from the line in Stargate, where Jack O'neil when to the Asgard home galaxy. They said that they have been watching humans for some time and that they have great potential. But I believe that UFOs and USOs have more to do with how our race will turn out as if danger to other planets or a great alley to other planets.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Understandably a lot of people would like more solid proof or evidence that these events have occured throughout our history. I too wish that evidence and proper credit would be given with all accounts to make things much easier. Most have names documented with the sightings and a little searching on the net should yield good results for sources on your quest for the truth. No one can give this proof perfectly, unfortunately. I will attempt to give some of it anyway:

To start with here is a link to an art exhibit of some ancient Sumerian finds. While not definitively E.T., they are provocative none-the-less,

www.mars-earth.com...

Here is a bit of history of assumed E.T.s in our current culture:

The Greys, also known as Roswell aliens (eyes) -- Zetas (zero point) -- and Reticulians (reptiles, snakes, coiling, spiraling DNA), are extraterrestrial life forms that allegedly appear in modern UFO conspiracy theories and other UFO-related paranormal phenomena. They make up approximately 75% of all aliens reported in the US, 20% of all aliens reported in Mainland Europe, and 12% of all aliens reported in Britain. In American popular culture they have replaced little green men as the most typical extraterrestrial life form experienced in abduction and in general seen in eye-witness accounts.

Typically, Greys are described as being approximately 4 feet tall, with grey (sometimes blue-grey/green-grey) skin. Their body is typically described as being elongated, and lacking in muscular definition. Their legs are shorter and jointed differently than one would expect in a human, giving them an apparently awkward gait. Their arms often reach down to their knees, and some accounts give them three digits, or three digits and a thumb on each hand. They have a bulbous, hairless head supported by a thin neck, which is dominated by large black lidless eyes. They typically have small flat noses, small mouths and small ears lacking a pinna. In some cases, Greys are said to have slit-like nostrils on a flat face.

Some accounts have Greys wearing tight neutral colored uniform-like jumpsuits. Other reports have them appearing to be naked. In most cases, clothed Greys have no determinable gender and naked Greys have no visible external genitals.

1890-1950

Although the exact appearance of the Grey has varied with time and media, the overall concept of "a thin diminutive grey figure with a bulbous bald head, large almond shape eyes, and minimal facial features", has existed in popular culture for over 100 years. Grey-like beings have appeared in numerous science fiction stories from the late 19th century onwards; including H.G. Wells' Of a Book Unwritten, The Man of the Year Million; in which Wells writes about the hypothesis that the increasing industrialization of society would lead to humans developing into Grey like beings with shrunken bodies and enlarged brains, and his 1901 book The First Men in the Moon in which he describes the moon dwelling Selenites as being short, grey skinned creatures, with high foreheads, no nose, and bulging eyes who walked with a strange gait due to their oddly articulated legs.

The concept was continued in comics and science fiction magazines into the early 20th century, including such works as David H. Keller's The Conquerors, which was serialized in the Wonder stories, starting in 1929 December.

1950-1960

In the wake of the Kenneth Arnold sightings, the 1950s saw an increased public awareness of ETH and Flying saucer in America; leading to a corresponding increase in the appearance of Grey-like creatures in cinema and television.

1960-1970

Until the 1960s, the image of the Grey primarily existed in popular fiction, but this began to change in 1965 when the Boston Traveler published the purportedly true story of abductees Betty and Barney Hill. The story included details from a hypnosis session, conducted a year earlier by Dr. Benjamin Simon, in which the Hills described being taken aboard a pancake-like craft by small hairless men with no noses and slanted eyes that wrapped around to the sides of their heads.

Coincidentally on the 10th of February 1964; 12 days prior to the Hill's undergoing hypnosis, the science fiction series The Outer Limits ran an episode entitled "The Bellero Shield", which featured a hairless, noseless alien with a bulbous head and 'wrap-around eyes'.

However, these similarities of greys to the TV episode being are disputed, mainly because the TV being is as tall as a human, does not have a very big head, his eyes are not that big, has no black eyes, and has a glowing body. Furthermore, Betty Hill maintained that she had not seen the Outer Limits, and said that it was unlikely that her husband had seen the episode, because he would either have been working, or performing community activities, during the series' time slot.

In 1968, Greys became associated with the Zeta Reticuli system, after amateur astronomer Marjorie Fish compared a Star Map drawn by Betty Hill to astronomical charts, and determined that the twelve stars depicted on the map showed the aliens home to be a planet in the Zeta Reticuli system, situated approximately 39 light years from Earth. This lead to Greys sometimes being referred to as 'Zetas' or 'Reticulians' in popular culture.

1970-1980

In 1977, Director Steven Spielberg chose Greys as the alien protagonist for his film Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The Greys have since become the archetypal image of an alien for many UFO believers and science fiction fans.

1980-1990

During the early 1980s Greys were linked to the alleged crash landing of a flying saucer in Roswell New Mexico, in 1947, by a number of publications which contained statements from witnesses who claimed to have seen the US military handling a number of unusually proportioned, bald, child-sized corpses. The witnesses claimed that the corpses had over-sized heads and slanted eyes - but scant other facial features - during and after the incident.

Continued on next post

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Continued from prior post:

1990-Present Day

During the 1990s, popular culture began to increasingly link Greys to a number of Military-industrial complex/New World Order conspiracies.

Arguably, the most well known of these was The X-Files, which first screened in 1993. It combined the quest to find proof of the existence of Grey-like extraterrestrials with a number of UFO conspiracy theory subplots, in order to form its primary story arc. Other notable examples include Dark Skies; first broadcast in 1996, which expanded upon the MJ-12 conspiracy, and Stargate SG-1 which in the 1998 episode "Thor's Chariot" introduced the Asgard, a race of Greys who visited ancient Earth masquerading as characters from Norse Mythology.

The portrayal of Greys in the media took a slightly different turn in 1995 when film maker Ray Santilli claimed to have obtained 22 reels of 16mm film that depicted the autopsy of a real life Grey that was said to have been recovered from the site of the 1947 incident in Roswell, New Mexico.

However, in 2006 Santilli announced that the film was not original, but was instead a Reconstruction created after the original film was found to have degraded. He maintained that a real Grey had been found and autopsied on camera in 1947, and that the footage released to the public contained a percentage of that original footage, but he was not able to say what that percentage was.

TYPE A:

Description
Extra-terrestrial
Species: Greys
Aliases: The Visitors The Reticulians
Height: 3.5, 6 feet
Weight: 65, 90 pounds (estimated)
Eyes: Large, oval-shaped, black
Hair: None
Skin: Grey Rough-textured
Sex: No visual reproductive organs
Cloning suspected form of reproduction
Communication: Telepathic
Location of Origin
Zeti Reticula Star System in the Orion Constellation
Distinguishing Characteristics
Slit for mouth
Nose and ears are indentation
Webbed hands with four fingers
Thin body
Large head in proportion to body

TYPE B:

Tall Greys from Orion. Usually about 7 to 8 ft. tall (reports often exaggerate their height as being 9 to 12 ft.) with facial feature somewhat similar to grey type A with the exception of the large nose found on type B greys. These greys allegedly have technologies that allow them to perform certain actions that appear "miraculous." These greys are less viscous towards humans than type A greys (but are still considered "hostile".) They tend to influence more through political controls and negotiated agreements with those in power. Their main bases seem to be in the Aleutian Islands.

TYPE C:

These are the shortest of the greys and tend to be about 3.5 ft. tall. Their facial features are very similar to the Zeta Reticuli greys and are of the same "root race.". They are just as hostile to humans as the Zetas. They are from a star system near the shoulder of Orion called Bellatrax.

www.crystalinks.com...

I know what was just posted is probably going to be pulled apart from all angles, which is fine, as it should be. I included those descriptions because what fun are UFOs if we can't speculate what are inside them.

Continued in next post

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join