It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls For A World Free Of Nuclear Weapons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I just watched President Obama's speech live from Prague.

In that speech he pledged to work toward eliminating ALL nuclear weapons from the planet.

Is this goal achievable? Is it desirable?

Comments?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
impossible
if it works out , this world will be like heaven, atleast to me

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I am curious how he plans on implementing this. It just sounds like a fairytale to me.

Who goes first? - Since Obama is calling for it, would he be willing to destroy the US nuclear arsenal first? How quickly would we be attacked with no nuclear deterrent?

What would make this different than failed gun control policies? - How would we ensure that this wouldn't end up like gun control where the criminals still have guns but the people don't? Everyone would have to play by the rules and I just don't see that happening.

It just seems 100% impossible if you ask me.

[edit] OR... does this mean that we now have something that trumps nuclear weapons and we are willing to abandon the tech because we no longer need it?

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
We can only hope.
I can only pray.

peace

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
hahaha
this will never happen even if they do come to an agreement it will be purely political to make obama look like the savior of the world. all nuclear armed countries will remain that way. no one is going to destroy their nuclear arsenal it would be the most retatted mistake a country could make....hence if they do pass something everyone will destroy 10 weapons and say "look were saving the world by ridding it of nuclear weapons" while they keep the rest. this is political spin period.

wha twould happen if America destoyed all weapons and then russia and china renig on the deal and start pumling us? the thought of the messia obama ending nuclear arms is riddiculous dont buy into the media crap that they feed you

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

He said during the campaign that he'd disarm America.
But people still shouted 'yes we can' and voted for him.

:shk: :shk: :shk:

No shock. The guy is continuing on his 'destroy America' course.

*Note - right at the beginning of the clip he lies. He says he's the only candidate to oppose the war from the begining'. That's a lie. At one point he said that he and George Bush (43) had the same view on the war.

2004 Chicago Tribune - Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) said - at this time there isn't much difference between my position and George Bush's position on the [Iraq] war.

He also was asked how he would have voted and he responded - I don't know what I would have done.

L A Times

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Well at least talk of getting rid of nuclear weapons is better than using them. And at least Russia and USA are talking about arms cuts instead of entering a new Cold War as this very nearly happened under George Bush. What right has one political leader got to kill off the rest of humanity? Absolutely none!! Sure there will be rogue countries who wont play ball. And i dont think the likes of Israel who have never declared offically their arsenal of death will play to be honest. Sadly i think it is only a matter of time before a nuke goes off. That is what is worrying Obama and Russia the most. I'm thinking a Middle East country or terrorist attack. Perhaps then the world may awaken from it's ignorance and genuinely seek to change, but it may be a wake up call that comes too late.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
yes nuclear free world would be great only that THIS will never happen as long as theres wars and all those threats to the world.

another opinon..
what if they "get rid of" all nuclear stuff ,BUT some countries keep on makin'em in secret.and one day.
it will all be over

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Eliminate all weapons so that when the fake UFO invasion is implemented we would be defenseless? No, thanks!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
Eliminate all weapons so that when the fake UFO invasion is implemented we would be defenseless? No, thanks!

If we are looking at the UFO angle on this, then here is maybe something to chew on, what if ET has laid down it's own version of the UN and ordered Earth to abandon weapons of mass destruction or face being taken over and destroying the weapons for us.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
it's only about scaling down the stockpiles (I thought to 1200 warheads) to get Iran into discussion about not producing WMD.

same hope and change Reagan promised when I was still a kid?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magicsame hope and change Reagan promised when I was still a kid?

You mean like this speech?

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-4-2009 by allegedsatellite]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by allegedsatellite

Yep.

It's the same lies, the world will never disarm.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Genies don't generally fit back into bottles once they are out..

So I guess the best that can be hoped for is a greatly reduced stockpile, tighter controls and a better understanding that any use of them will never be tolerated.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss

Originally posted by eldard

If we are looking at the UFO angle on this, then here is maybe something to chew on, what if ET has laid down it's own version of the UN and ordered Earth to abandon weapons of mass destruction or face being taken over and destroying the weapons for us.

Which is exactly what is supposed to actually have happened. But without the "Or face being taken over". Or, the ET's have left that part out, perhaps.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Locke23
yes nuclear free world would be great only that THIS will never happen as long as theres wars and all those threats to the world.

As long as their is mankind, there will always be war... I dont know, maybe someday we will grow out of this.

another opinon..
what if they "get rid of" all nuclear stuff ,BUT some countries keep on makin'em in secret.and one day.
it will all be over

Well fissel material is important to function nuclear powerplants... Obama wants to put a ban on fissle material (as he said in the video posted above). So much for the green movment....Maybe we can power America solely on wind turbines? Oh, but those only work on windy days...hmmm, coal power plants? Oh wait, Obama said that if you operate a coal power plant, he will bankrupt you...then there was the commercial sponsored by some liberal think tank group that said there is no such thing as "clean" coal power...

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Fox News]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Just a stab in the dark but maybe it's too expensive to upkeep, maintain and secure these weapons?

From the book Atomic Audit: The Costs and Consequences of U.S Nuclear Weapons Since 1940 ...

"Overview of Project Findings" by Stephen I. Schwartz
—June 30, 1998

First, what did nuclear weapons cost the United States?
From 1940 through 1996, we spent nearly $5.5 trillion on nuclear weapons and weapons-related programs, in constant 1996 dollars.

This chart shows what the total is when estimated future-year costs for dismantling nuclear weapons and disposing of surplus nuclear materials, and for managing and cleaning up some 50 years of nuclear waste resulting from nuclear weapons production are added in.

If we could represent $5.8 trillion as a stack of dollar bills, it would reach from the Earth to the Moon and nearly back again, a distance of more than 459,000 miles.

and

Today, the Department of Energy is proposing to spend at a least $4.5 billion a year on "stockpile stewardship" activities to maintain the nuclear stockpile for the indefinite future without nuclear testing and without large-scale production of new weapons.

(BTW I'd like to just say that I totally disagree with this mans view of the Roswell incident. I'm using his nuclear weapons costings only)

www.brookings.edu...

I hope this World Free of Nuclear Weapons isn't only because the U.S is penniless but because we all recognise that there has to be a new way forward and away from weapons of mass destruction.

The reason I say this is that it would be a very cynical ploy if money is the ONLY reason why this is being proposed.
It could quite easily be reinstigated when the pot of gold is full again, if you know what I mean.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The US could get rid of nuclear weapons if they had a replacement.

I believe they are planing one.

Rods of god.
www.newstin.com...
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2006/03/12/INGS6HID5A1.DTL
www.commondreams.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ithink its the smartest thing any human has ever thought of. If we dont destroy nuclear weapons, they will destroy us.This is a fact. How can we just ignore it?

On the rods of god. I was surpirsed to see bill gates namein there. What the hell does he have to do with this?

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Vyrtigo]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vyrtigo
On the rods of god. I was surpirsed to see bill gates namein there. What the hell does he have to do with this?
[edit on 6-4-2009 by Vyrtigo]

Everything. www.jesus-is-savior.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join