It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello from China!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hello MightyAl,
thanks for the reply and I apologise in return for not getting back to you sooner. I agree with a lot of what you say, my major concern is that when the West intend to go after a country there is a concerted effort in the media to demonise that nation. I have seen a growing amount of criticism of this country which has me very worried. I despise any form of war and one involving the west vs the east would be at best the end of civilisation on this planet. No political set up is or ever has been perfect, the world becoming one is inevitable Im afraid, the question is how will it evolve. In Europe, Britain, USA, Australia and virtually every other country in the developing world this evolution seems to be a dissolving of traditional values, local culture and an adoption of the American way. Here in China there appears to be a high resistance to those changes, it is quite refreshing to see the McDonalds, KFC's etc struggling for customers while the smaller, local traditional eateries are normally packed. Please read my previous posts to get a better feeling of where I stand.
The producer you mentioned was Aaron Russo (now deceased) and he was discussing his former friendship with Nicholas Rockefeller and the western elites plans for our collective future which disgusted him and led him to make the excellent doco "Freedom to Fascism". You'll note I mentioned a Rockefeller, a Bush and an Obama are based here, with a view no doubt to encourage certain people to participate in this nightmare vision. My opinion is the Chinese are far too cautious to buy into it. I could be wrong (I often am!) but hope Im not.
I want to focus more on my experiences, the first I guess is my time spent in Germany and the Nazis. I will write more later when I have time.

thanks again buddy

SOXMIS

[edit on 12-4-2009 by SOXMIS]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Hi Soxmiz - I'm new too, and am also a Westerner in China. Glad to hear you are enjoying China; some expats end up having a love-hate relationship with the place as although there is something new and wondrous to the place each and every day, there's other things which will p*** you off no doubt as you settle. Much like anywhere I guess. I've seen others simply hate the place and bail within months, while others can't get enough of the place and settle down permanently.

I'll give you a quick run-down from my experience of what is and is not permissible with regards to the net. If you've got the money, full, 100% unfiltered and unadulterated Internet is available, but you have to get a dedicated line that runs via HK. This option is really only open to big multinationals who can afford the absorbitant price though (in the ten's of thousands USD /month). The rest of us are subject to the Great Firewall.

You'll notice you currently can't access youtube, which is annoying as it seems to be the platform of choice for vids these days. It gets periodically shut down, has been down for 8 weeks or so - typically when something is going on in Tibet.

Which brings me to the role of China's army of cyber police, whose full-time job it is to scour the Internet and block out sensitive sites. Although they are typically concerned more with sites in Chinese, I have seen English forums blocked before too. The way not to get a site blocked, such as this one, is to not rant on and on about the political misgivings of China and T*bet. Nor rant on and on about the situation with that spiritual group in China, the Fal*n G**g. There are a number of other things which will garner attention, but they are the two main things.

One more thing, there can be serious jail-time penalties in China for "starting false rumours" on the Internet, with either political or market information, which is deemed to destabilize or simply be fraudulent. But again, this applies more to those who publish in Chinese, rather than English. But serious breaches in English also won't go unnoticed. While you are likely to avoid imprisonment as a Westerner, you may find yourself unable to re-enter the country or get a visa. Anyway, no need for alarm, but it just pays to be wary, that's all.

I guess you are in Shenzhen or Guangzhou huh? If you have any questions about life from a Westerner's perspective in China, or cool places to go, things to avoid etc..feel free to email me.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
hi Lao Wais in China!

i used to be a very active poster here, but got a bit tired and disappointed in arguing with people who continuously labeled me a secret China agent or whatsoever whenever bringing up "controversial" contra-opinions/viewpoints of what they are used to have about China

maybe a non-yellow-skinned human being in China could have more credibility towards these o-so-open-minded-ignorance-denying ATS community

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hi IchiNIsan. Not sure if it is a credibility issue, but rather just that people's pre-concieved ideas about China typically come from a mish-mash of media sources, many of which are biased, skewed or blatant propaganda to further all manner of agendas.

Sometimes I wonder who's media is more censored and twisted; China's, or that of Western countries? Much of a much really. Everyone is in the same boat.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

The hillarious thing about china is their remarkable resistance to the very forces that are subverting the west (America)

American policy is largely influenced by Corporate mass media setting the general tone of discussion.

In China, they have State Censorship, and Government Propaganda.

So, here is the question:

Which would you rather have?

Government propaganda that is rather transparent and obvious?

OR

Corporate Brainwashing, dumbing down, and policy setting for the purposes of Corporate greed?

Double edged sword, no?

Plus, in china... if a corporation endangers people willfully and knowingly... Heads roll, LITERALLY.

People DIE for Evil stuff that we in the west reward people for... ain't that something?

-Edrick

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Edrick, hah, at last someone with a very straight to the point and clear-minded summarizing of the reality we are all facing to!

There is no perfect world, no perfect system, no any utopia on the planet Earth, but if I have to choose I would rather be in today's China, rather than staying in the West. (Note. I was born and raised in Europe and moved back to China only about 3 years ago).

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SOXMIS

Hello and welcome! It is great to have you here!

ATS is an awesome place for finding out what is going on in the world!

I look forward to meeting up with you in threads!!

Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hello Cloudbreak,

thank you very much for the heads up, Im in Guangzhou and Im happy to say that after years of travel a place that interests me and gives me surprises. How do we get to email each other, can I send you a private message (still a new poster!)?

Hello IchiNiSan, I agree totally with Cloudbreak but would like to add that China could be slightly forgiven for its sometimes paranoid approach with regards control/ propaganda. If you had been facing the hypocrisy of Western forces for hundreds of years then it would be the only logical route to take. I found this out in Germany during the Cold War. As the late, great Bill Hicks said (Im paraphrasing) "its quite a thing to wake up and find YOUR the evil empire!). Most people here are very open to new ideas and ways at looking at things, quite refreshing after the years of near violence I experienced in Australia for expressing my views.

Hello questioningall (great moniker)
I'm looking forward to getting into a few threads (I Will eventually I promise), just really busy at the moment getting settled into my new life, I hope I have some interesting tales to tell and an open minded view to most subjects, we will meet again!

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Very interesting point Edrick, sorry I missed your post before writing my last reply. I feel a lot happier here in China although there doesnt seem to be much understanding of how the western elites operate, I saw a disturbing interview with Rothschild on a Chinese TV show where he gleefully informed the Chinese of his family background and business modus operandi, the crowd seemed pretty enamoured by him, however a recent book called Money Wars by Song Hong Bin has opened many friends I have here of Western Capitalist ideology!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SOXMIS

Hi SOXMIS - yeah feel free to use the U2U thing to get in contact. If Guangzhou impresses you, then you really will be over the moon at some of the places in China once you move around a bit. A lifetime of permanently travelling about China would still not afford you sufficient time to see and experience all that's worth experiencing.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SOXMIS

I understand a book was written recently posing that China may have traveled all over the globe with a similer mandate, I'm trying to get a hold of it.

Gavin Menzies, a retired British naval commander wrote "1421 the Year China discovered America (The World in other countries), and now has written 1434, The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance.

I've been corresponding with Gavin for years now, and have given him some interesting information about my family and the Khitan Dynasty.

Gavin has been to China quite a few times, and is treated as a national hero by the Chinese Government. You should have no trouble getting the book in China.

Be aware that the British press has not been so kind to Gavin. They label his books as "myths" or "junk history".

I know Gavin to be a very sincere and honorable person. Read 1421 and draw your own conclusions. You will thoroughly enjoy the book.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
soxmis stay in germany australia doesnt need any more whining immigrants pleanty here please take your rubish i mean your family with you

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Thank you ProfEmeritus
I shall have a look for both of them tomorrow. I would take a bad press from the British media as a letter of recommendation!

Thank you Cloudbreak, I will be in contact. I look forward to many years traveling around China, thats if I have many years ahead of course.

Grimnal thank you for exposing the ignorance that makes up a large portion of the Australian population and showing just why I left. Im originally from England not Germany. Might I suggest all immigrants leave Australia and let the true owners keep their land and do with it as they please.

Just for you Grimnal by true owners I mean the Aboriginals.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by SOXMIS]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
To the ATS's living in China;

Would it be safe to assume that as you have internet access, you live in urban areas? What is the standard of net coverage in rural areas?

As I understand it, rural populations have been decimated by the exodus of the young, fit and healthy, as they seek better paid work in the industrialised towns and cities.

This abandonment of agricultural, land based working by the working classes is historic, worldwide. (I shan't go into details about the c19/20C industrialisation of the west)

What I think is unique about China, is that the industrialisation process is occuring during the Tech age.

What are your experiences and perceptions of this?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Welcome aboard SOXMIS!

Bumped into BRIXMIS recently?

As had been said, very useful to have someone from withinf "the Lion's mouth."

Have fun.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Hi there from Australia, what is your take on Falun Gong???
Do you view this in the same context as Chi Kung etc. Or do you see it as "an evil cult"?
Whatever your answer Nin Hao, best wishs to you!!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hello Teapot,

I've not been in China that long, however being in Guangzhou I've seen a fair bit of downsizing in the export factories. I've heard the government is encouraging those loosing their jobs to go back on the land, although this may create its own problems and there's a few still waiting to see if the economy will pick up but on the whole it doesn't seem to be affecting life that much. There's a lot of mouths to feed so stripping the countryside of farmers wouldnt make much sense. We'll see.

Hi chukka

not seen any BRIXMIS since 89

Hi KRISKALI777

not sure what to make of it all, possible destabilisation, sponsored by some nefarious agency in the west. I saw some protesters in Brisbane a few years back, started around 0800am, all lined up in the lotus position outside the town hall, 0810 rain started, 0815 all gone home.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
So for as much as I am interested to hear your stories of experince, there is a feeling in my senses that you could very well be a plant by the Chinese government to gain access to this community portal and spew nothing more than promises , rhetoric and anti American sentiment.

3 pages and nothing more than a soap box of Racism.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SOXMIS

I have noticed that here ! The new frys on the better part of town has better fruit. The old one has fruit that taste horrible and goes bad fast! How messed up is that!

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I've a thick skin antar so dont find your comments offensive, however being accused of racism is not something I want to encourage so could you be more specific about which comments I've made could be interpreted as racist? I must admit being accused of being an agent for the Chinese is rather exciting, thank you. I shall write of my experiances in another thread and in my own good time. Im not promising anything, I dont espouse rhetoric either, only my own opinion and it is as valid or indeed worthless as the next guys (or girls).

[edit on 19-4-2009 by SOXMIS]

<< 1    3 >>

join