It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 hours of astronomy - live webcast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Live webcast, going out now.

100-hours-of-astronomy

Very interesting!

Enjoy!

Edit to add: Now talking about SWIFT/GRBs

Slot on Hubble coming up soon.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thanks!...I'm watching now.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Good stuff SGIP.

Just to explain a bit more, the theme of this webcast is "Around the World in 80 Telescopes".

Each segment looks at a different telescope as well as the projects that are underway, and there is also a live televised talk from the astronomers working on the project/telescope.

So far,

Jodrel Bank
SWIFT
STEREO
LIGO

and a couple I can't remember now!

Chandra about to start. About 1/2 way through now. Another 12+ hours to go.

Edit to add: The entire webcast was supposed to last a total of 24 hours, in case the thread title is confusing anyone. The video/audio is high quality too, which is nice.

Just had IRAM, and SOLAR-B is coming up.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
i watched a bit of it earlier this evening. was pretty cool. they showed a few of the pictures the observatories have taken, they were , as usual really awesome. i have the astronomy pic of the day site bookmarked. i wish they did more of this kind of thing more often. like once a month some observatory would have a "this month we'll be surveying this field of the universe, lets see what exciting things we find!" and then have a webcam vlog their whole process. i would definitely watch that all the time.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Glad at least a couple of you caught some of it. I thought it was very informative. Hopefully they will do something like this again. I think they will.

For those of you who missed it, I believe at least some of the segments are available to watch online, and someone said a DVD of the complete webcast might be made available.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I Was participating in a 100 hours of Astronomy event last night, along with my local Astronomy club. we had over 1200 people show up many of which, had never looked through a telescope. Also, I ran into ATS mod Jbird there, who was wearing an ATS hat.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thanks so much for sharing this info. I was able to catch the last 2 1/2 hours of Around the World in 80 Telescopes because of your notice. It was fantastic. They did an amazing job!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
You're welcome elfie.

I just wish I had found out about this earlier instead of half way through, so more people could have caught it.

I was looking out for ATS members Dr.D00M, for a little bit anyway, but my PC was starting to freak out (it's old) so I had to keep closing down my browser during the breaks to give it a bit of a rest, which meant I couldn't really look in the chat. That chat was complete chaos, so I didn't bother registering anyway

[edit on 4-4-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I went over after posting (above) and there are clips from many of the telescopes that I missed available for viewing! I plan to see as many as I can. Also they are hosting connections to star gazing parties from all over the world.

Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr.D00M
...Also, I ran into ATS mod Jbird there, who was wearing an ATS hat.

And so you did Dr.DOOM.
What a surprise, meeting another ATS'er IRL.
You can actually discuss without typing, previewing and editing .

I think we were both surprised by the large turnout.

Luckily I got some view time in early, as the crowd seemed to sneak in around us
while the Dr. and I chatting about ATS and the local star scene.

And except for the 30-40mph winds (sheesh) it was perfect viewing weather.

I got there early in hopes of checking out the Sun and was helpfully pointed
toward this little solar specific scope which offered up a very crisp image
of the sun complete with a nice prominence.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d2f6a9daf64.jpg[/atsimg]
Very cool!

An impressive array of models and sizes.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a2e2032395b0.jpg[/atsimg]

Checked out Saturn with this one, courtesy of one of the local astro gurus, a charsimatic high-energy ambassador of Astronomy, with wonderfully contagious enthusiasm .
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5307e984861.jpg[/atsimg]

Dr. - Clear skies -

[edit on Tue Apr 7 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

Thanks for sharing your great pics. It's so cool that you were able to meet up there! Looks to have been quite a sizable meet. The wind has been up here too (which I'm assuming is clear across the country).

Going to check to see if any of the shared remote solar observation sites are up.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Looks like it was a great party. Unforunately I've been pretty busy this weekend moving furniture so I didn't get to participate in any organized events, but I did sneak in a few minutes on my own scope on saturday night to get this mosaic of clavius:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c96a7d53bbed.jpg[/atsimg]
I should consider doing regular webcasts though, it seems like a great way to do public outreach.

new topics

top topics

join