It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA To Control Tobacco for the first time ever!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I am a smoker, myself, and I'm not sure if I'm LIKING this, or not!

The House of Representatives on Thursday approved sweeping legislation to bring tobacco under control of the Food and Drug Administration for the first time.

I think I'm even more scared now, than when the prices went up!

The plan would bolster tobacco warnings on cigarette packages and could require firms to lower nicotine levels in cigarettes.

I mean, could this be a good thing, will they maybe help us that WANT to quit, be able to realistically?

"This vote brings us closer to putting a deceitful and dangerous industry under the watchful eyes of government regulators," American Heart Association CEO Nancy Brown said in a statement. The bill was sponsored by Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., who in 1994 summoned the heads of big tobacco to a memorable hearing where they testified that nicotine was not addictive.

Here's Da LINKY!

edit for fumble fingers.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by Yummy Freelunch]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm confused. What does this mean for the ATF? An agency with the name tobacco in its title will no longer be in charge of tobacco....interesting....

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I dont know, but I do like that maybe they are looking out for us? I mean us, as in the people who have TRIED to quit and cant.

Opponents from tobacco-growing states such as top-producing North Carolina argued that the FDA had proven through food safety failures that it's not up to the job. They also said that instead of unrealistically trying to get smokers to quit or prevent them from starting, lawmakers should ensure they have other options, like smokeless tobacco.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Or...is it just another ploy to control EVERYTHING!!!! I never will trust the FDA, period.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
Or...is it just another ploy to control EVERYTHING!!!! I never will trust the FDA, period.

I feel you on that. They have done nothing in my lifetime that earns my trust. Seems like just another way that they can umbrella cover everything....

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
There is a supreme court case that stopped the FDA in the first place, so I guess the supreme court is not as powerful as congress.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Why all the sudden, do they care about who gets sick anyway>? I mean, hoenstly, the whole purpose of smoking a ciggarette, is for the nicotine! SO by lowering the nicotine, now were gunna pay full retail for less product. I dont get why they wanna get people to quit smoking?
I remember maybe like 10 years ago, the whole new craze, was to ban smoking from bars and all public buildings...that was 10 years ago.
I do not trust the FDA. They wanna take vitmains away from us, they list fluroide asa known toxin, but regualte its use in our water..and fully support bigpharma...so why are they all hell bent on nicotine?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

I totally agree, also. And what worries me is they are now regulating how much nicotine I will receive, against my permission. If I want to regulate my nicotine, I'll do it myself without someone forcing me to.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The only 2 reasons i can logically think of..is for whatever insane reason, they wanna get people to quit smoking..which is a noble idea, but ince its one of ur choices and freedoms, they really arnt suposed to have any say in that.
The other possible, suspect theory i have, is they want the tobaco corporations to coolapse, philip morris, RJ reynolds, ect, ect. I wonder how that would affect the stock market?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

It just seems so suspect to me, the more I think about it. And maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I seem to NOT trust anything the government does. It's almost like, what do they REALLY have up their sleeve?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yeah, i know! Scary isnt it? Just now, i was thinking and wondering, why philip morris or RJ reynolds didnt ask for bailout money? everyone else did practicaly! lol
im a smoker, and have lost 2 parents too it now (lung cancer). Smoknig is bad for anyone..but its not anyones business to tell them yuo cant do it! its an option of free will...self choice. I am just so puzzled now, over why the FDA wnats to regulate it? I would not be suprised, if tobacoo comapnys start outsourcing, place lie china, and now, marboros will be contaminated with sulphur and Melomine.god knows what else.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
One theory--they lower the nicotine levels, people who are addicted will smoke more to make up the difference, and given the recent taxes which boost the price, which will drive a lot of less-addicted folks to quit, maybe they can make up the difference through their more-addicted base having to buy more simply to break even on their habit?

I hate being that cynical about it, but... it sounds a bit like what drug dealers do to their customers. Get 'em hooked and then boost the prices through the roof, while lowering quality of the product to insure repeat business...

[edit on 2-4-2009 by quitebored]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I thought exactly the same thing, why didnt they ask for bail-out money?

Well, now with prices over the top, maybe this is a way for them to get away with killing us all these years, I dunno.

But what about that blatant lie, they told..that tobacco isnt addictive?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by quitebored

My god, that is almost too obvious! I suppose that is the truth, they ARE like drug dealers! Pathetic, that I fell into the trap, too.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

I'm thoroughly sickened by it all, frankly. I've been a smoker for years, I know all the risks but... do it anyway. My husband's picked up the habit as well, now, and we're both looking at quitting as the only viable option.

Which is, I suppose, a good thing... but I'd rather there were more of an element of choice to it, frankly.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by quitebored]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
I dont know, but I do like that maybe they are looking out for us? I mean us, as in the people who have TRIED to quit and cant.

Opponents from tobacco-growing states such as top-producing North Carolina argued that the FDA had proven through food safety failures that it's not up to the job. They also said that instead of unrealistically trying to get smokers to quit or prevent them from starting, lawmakers should ensure they have other options, like smokeless tobacco.

They will probably put some extree janky shight in the smokes now.
I had 32 smoke free - f -ed up one night and am now three days quit again-

35 out of 36 days smoke free is not bad

BTW quitting is hard, but once you make the hump it is not that bad. I chew nico-gum and find motivation in hating the habit a good thing. After seven days it gets better
then comes a new type of withdrawal... You really have to want to, its not a casual affair - its like war.

Anyhow quit you have much more energy, don't sleep as well, heightened senses and realize a ten fold libido jump, well worth it! ARRRRRRRRGHHHH

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I don't smoke and I don't like it when people smoke around me.......I prefer states that have smoking bands in public places BUT

I don't like where all of this is going..............

Government Controling:::::::

Tobacco
Banks
AIG
Agriculture
Automotive Industry
The right to fire CEO's
The rilght to tell you what you will be able to make
Gun rights
servidude
Cap & Trade

Just to name a few

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

If they can find a way to tax sex, that'll be next. ;P

(And if I had a second line, it would go here...)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is almost like some horror movie! I really shouldnt have been shocked to see the gov stepped in and grabbed up the tobacco industry. Mark my words, it'll be alcohol next.

Then, they'll start telling us how to dress. No more short skirts or shorts, or you will be fined. Then, none of us can have tattoos. Piercings will have to go.

Then we'll have to watch the tv programs they tell us to watch.

Logans Run in reality!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Or maybe the FDA will finally start to regulate all the additives and carcinogens that are being put into cigarettes for pointless reasons. As its been lately, they have been allowed to put what ever they want in you're smoke, perhaps that will end.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join