It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Left My Job Today - Hear Me Out Before You Flame

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I have been stalking the ATS forums since the early 2004's. I have been watching, and waiting for this day. Finally, I feel complete. I had a job, from 2007 in Business to Business Sales...it's not something I was proud of, but it was the ONLY thing for somebody who was "entry-level" with an Advertising degree to take advantage of in my area (Pittsburgh).

It seems that all people in Advertising have some sort of background in, what I like to call "BS Sales." Since I was young, I've held the opinion that salespeople are no more than swindling, no good liars. That obviously, is short-sighted, and I don't buy into that theory today. However, I do believe that Sales/Marketing/Advertising itself, is a more-or-less "hateful" business, as the great Bill Hicks once said.

Now yes, I know what you're thinking. "It's the business you chose moron, that's your mistake." That is true, and I am not going to debate that. I did choose the Advertising degree, I did choose to pursue this career. However, I didn't choose it to swindle, and trick people into buying a product. I chose it for the artistic creativity it provided. I've been into graphic design and copywriting ever since I was 12 years old, posting ads for my campaign as middle school class president. That was what I wanted. I didn't want to call up Joe Smith, who makes $15k a year doing construction, and tell him that "This house would be great for you! It's only $90k, and you could pay it off in less than seven years," all whilst knowing he wasn't going to pay it off, and he'd end up in debt 10fold. This was not my idea at all. I wanted to simply create, graphics, writing, etc from my own, beautiful mind (and it is beautiful, I am one of the most creative people I know - not trying to brag).

As stated earlier, I pursued this career in College, learning the software, learning design, learning "the code" of advertising. Sure, I didn't agree with a lot of it, but I still loved to design and create. Blame me, it was stupid of me to do this. After college, I applied for various positions in various ad-agencies, but since I had no SALES EXPERIENCE. To follow my dream, I had to become that which I loathed...as SALESPERSON. Luckily, I found myself a position selling AD-SPACE, at a seemingly, intelligent company that had a true product, and was backed by years of success. I started this position at the end of last summer. Today, Spring 2009, I am disgusted at what I did.

I attempted to sell less-than-fortunate businesses our ad-space, which was a complete lie. We claim that our publications did "targeted distribution." Targeted, sure...considering out of the "target" about 7 people probably actually take the time to read them. And out of those 7, 2 actually are stupid enough to not distinguish ads from articles. Sure, we have articles for you to interface an advertisement with...not that anyone will care, as they will make their own decisions. This all overshadowed by the fact that our prices were ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Upwards of $1000 for a half-page ad, 4 inches x 3 inches, and an "online profile" on our rarely visited website. I do not wish to divulge my company, it's website, or it's information due to the fact that I have class, and it is immoral to do so.

This morning, April 2nd, after watching and listening to alternative news for years now, I was appalled at what we were doing. Sure, we weren't directly involved with the New World Order, and sure - we weren't assisting TPTB in a massive cover-up, but I just felt wrong doing what I was doing. It wasn't for me, and it wasn't what I had signed on for. I signed on to offer a legitimate product, and I'm sure there are plenty of B2B salesmen out there who do.

This morning, after no having made a "sale" for 2 months - and not really caring to, my immediate supervisor called me into a meeting. It went okay, no harsh words were exchanged, and I thought "well maybe I can hold on here a few more weeks - until I find a real advertising job." (BTW: I consider a real advertising job as working on an advertising plan, a media plan, media buying, and research...not randomly calling some person and trying to give them ad-space) In any case, my supervisor (who will remain nameless) said to me, and I quote, "The economy is turning around! It's getting better! Everything is looking up!" I'm as optimistic as the next person, and I have chosen LOVE over FEAR...but I'm sorry...you are a moron if you think the economy is "turning around" You are pathetically hopeless if you think that things are going to get better, thanks to the Obama administration, because they aren't. Things aren't getting better. After this, I just rolled my eyes and said "Please! Wake up, it's not getting better. There has to be new ways to reach your audience!" Of course, being a young 24 year old at an old business - this was not met with praise and acceptance. For I know nothing, I am a moron. I didn't sell ads in the 70's, so obviously, I am a complete moron as to selling. Keep in mind, this was the same woman who thought that putting together a Twitter account for College-Students was a BAD IDEA. In any case, I was told, in short, to get my act together and start selling or face the banhammer. To this, I said "You are all sheep, you do not need to fire me, I quit."

I did not plan on mooching off the government for my pay. I did not want to live welfare check to welfare check. I have more pride, more class, and money saved up (from working at sh*t jobs during high school) that has been collecting interest for over twelve years. I do not need that, while I am job searching, and with my experience, I am not worried about this. I am confident, and intelligent.

This all said, I do feel bad for those who are unemployed, because I am now amongst their ranks. I do feel the strife, I know the pain. But all I can say, is keep trying. Revamp your resume, be creative in your letters to employers. Be yourself, and sell your skills. Don't sell them a lie (AKA., I CAN SELL AD-SPACE!!!11oneoneone). It is now everyman for himself, and I am happy to be on the team of "everyman." You can all call me idiots for leaving my job, I do not care. I feel it is what is right, and I feel that I have prevented a future endeavour of me getting fired. I wish everyone who is unemployed the best of luck, and I really hope that somebody calls Obama's bluff.

**Mod Edit..fixed typo in title****

[edit on 2-4-2009 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
What conspiracy does this concern?

Why did you post it here?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I thought i posted this in the "My Story," section...which it is truly...my story. I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong area, MODs feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Good for you! If only more people decided not to subscribe to the machinations or ideology or the advancement of the Powers That Be, this world would be a better place.

Bankers or politicians, as one example, are doing society a disservice- they are supporting a system that encourages people into debt, or forces them into debt- then finds any 'legal' basis to control their lives the way their employers deem fit. Sure, a lot of people lived beyond their means- but a lot of them were tricked into the lifestyle by buying and living on credit because the system was so flexible.

If all soldiers quit, there would be no war.

Once drugs, even gambling or prostitution, are legalized, taxed, and regulated, Organized crime will virtually vanish.

I could go on and on, but people who serve the interests of the PTB are not helping society, are not good citizens, or are blind to the bigger picture.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Hey man, I respect that. I'm seeing people getting ripped off more and more, and when they call me to ask what can they do, I tell them truthfully, "You've already done it."

One thing.

You can hold your head up and the next time, if there ever is a next time, you'll find that this decision this time will enhance your ability to make the right decision the next time.

I wish you luck. Very often, when one door closes, another opens. It may not be the door you were facing, but if you'll keep your eyes open with an open mind, there's another door just waiting for you to walk through.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

Don't apologize for being true to your moral values.

I tried the sales route in my youth, and while I was being trained by salespeople twice my age, I stuck to my morals and did it my way, sure I didn't make as many sales as the swindlers, but each sale I made was one where the customer received exactly what they were looking for and I could go home and sleep peacefully at night.

It took a little more time, brought in a little less money, but in the long run those people I sold to came back to buy more.

Take some time and look for the right opportunity, one that you will enjoy and at the same time make a living.

You are still young, you can still have the best of both worlds.

Good luck and by no means feel sorry for leaving that situation.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Salesmen don't get enough credit sometimes, it is a skilled job. It takes a lot of talent to be successful in sales.
My dad also is a salesman in Pittsburgh. Shout out to da Burgh! Both he and my grandfather are top salesman, and also both the most honest people you can find. And they could sell a fleet of refridgerators to eskimos. They have the "knack". And wouldn't sell a product they wouldn't believe in. I think that shifty salesman are that way because they don't have talent, and have to resort to cheap tactics to make a sale.

The economy in Pittsburgh was poor before the economy. So your in a tough spot to begin with. But it is not a lost cause. You got experience.To be truly successful, I believe you should start from the bottom up, to know how the whole things works. The best managers are usualy the ones that started at the bottom.

What your company is doing has no bearing on the economic situation, and I don't know why your mixing the two. Signs of improvement doesn't mean total improvement. It is just that, signs. And when you have managers whose jobs are probably on the line because of lousy business, you can't fault them for looking for any glimmer of hope.

I also resent you calling people who need help as losers. You have no idea why people need help. And needing it doesn't mean a loser. You may find yourself in a situation soon where it can't be avoided. The help is there for honest people in a bad spot, to make the transition from one place in life to another. I don't know if you have a family, it doesn't sound like you do. But don't fire off until you know what it is like to have a family on the line.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Let's Go Pens...

No I wasn't calling people who need help losers at all. I wasn't saying anything like that. And I wasn't trying to slander Salesmen/women as I know there are great ones out there who excel at what they do.

Really, I was calling myself an idiot for choosing this profession. As I stated, I am artistic, creative, graphic design/copywriting FREAK. I understand that I will never make $120,000, I will never have 3 Porsche's a Range Rover, and a marble plated driveway on MTV Cribs, and I am PERFECTLY OKAY WITH THAT. In fact, I'd rather have it that way.

I also wasn't blaming my company, I was blaming the economy. First, I was given the midwest (namingly Chicago) area. Anyone who lives out there can tell us, there are budget freezes all around. There's panic, and layoffs, MUCH WORSE than Pittsburgh. Allegheny County has surprisingly been okay during this crunch, and FOR THAT...I am EXTREMELY grateful. However, when my company started comparing my sales in Chicago, to sales in Pittsburgh...I started to get irritated. You can't compare the two areas, they're in completely different economic states right now.

As for everyone who responded so far, I thank you for the kind words, and not flaming me for quitting my job. Again, it's not something I originally wanted to do...but in the eyes of this society... I felt it was something I had to do. "Get an education, Get a job, Get married," per Tyler Durden's father in Fight Club. Not my idea of a happy life exactly. For those of you struggling, keep working at it, you'll be fine.

And on a side note, I just wanted to reiterate, I am NOT blasting the sales profession, I am simply blasting the "shady" side of sales.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
You aren't the first and won't be the last person to quit their job without notice or any kind of plan. I've done it before.

In your case, it may have been a smart move. It's a lot easier to say to a prospective empoyer that you left your last position because it was taking you down a completely different career path than what you wanted and went to school for than to tell them you got fired because you hadn't made a sale in over two months.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I applaud you, and if it were in my power to do so...
a standing ovation for posting here.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Good for you man!!!
I have quit like that before as well and I landed on my feet just fine and I am sure you will too.
A giant pat on the back from me!!
Sounds like you have put things into perspective.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Something you could do to get back on the track of sales that you DO love (graphic arts) is to find some piece of advertising you think is particularly bad and re-do it. Come up with something you think would have worked better or had more appeal and show it to the company that paid all those advertising dollars for the crappy ad.

They may be impressed enough with your initiative to hire you in their company's advertising dept.

Best of luck, man. I admire your moral fortitude. The world needs more just like you.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
In any case, my supervisor (who will remain nameless) said to me, and I quote, "The economy is turning around!

I have to concur with your former supervisor. While the economy is not where the majority of people would like it to be I have encountered a very broad spectrum of businesses that have increased their productivity in the past 2-3 months.

All of the companies I deal with are in manufacturing and range from small 1-2 man operations to multi-billion conglomerates. While not all of them are experiencing an upturn I would put the figure at 75-80%.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm in industrial sales.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

If you feel what you did was right and that you can sleep at night, then good for you. I left a job in December and have not went back nor have I looked for work. For one, I have had pregnancy related complications and two, I was/am in a position to not work and at the same time not have to rely on the govt for assistance. Sometimes, you just have to do what is best for you and if it means leaving a job and being unemployed, well then ok.

top topics

join