It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90% of Guns in Mexico come from USA? - Wrong!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Story Here

The Obama administration, as well as some MSM news outlets, have been claiming that 90% of the weapons used for crimes in Mexico come from the USA. Obama was asked about it during an interview and he did not correct the interviewer, but instead continued on with the question as if that 90% figure was a fact.

Problem is ... it's WRONG.

The true figure is more like 17%.

I smell a conspiracy by the Obama administration, and their buddies in the MSM, to use this false figure to help get anti-gun laws passed. Or at least stricter gun controls on Americans.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
ahmm ahmm ,

the source is fox news and is credible as Sorcha Faal

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Yeah well since facts, logic, reason and reality have never been factor in anti-gun legislation this info isnt really worth anything outside of a little choir preaching.

Here's a fun one for ya:

18-Year-Old Arrested On Drug, Assault Weapon Charges

Wow, assault weapon charges.

Authorities said they seized a large quantity of OxyContin, cash and a stolen semiautomatic handgun.

Sigh......

www.wmur.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sadchild01

Even if it's not true....do you think the banning of guns here would stop them from getting guns elsewhere?

If you have the money...someone will always sell.

ALWAYS.

If it's not here it will be from someone else.

Also..one could easily argue how terrible MSNBC's and CNN's news is incredible.

So who is credible?

With everyone bashing fox news all the time...starting telling me who is the most reliable news source.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I agree that this could lead to more gun regulations. I also believe this is the reason the administration wants everyone to focus on Mexico and fear a spillover. If they are able to make Americans fear a certain situation, they are more likely to face less opposition to any legislation that would address that fear. The patriot act comes to mind for some reason.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Wayne LaPierre called this bluff when the story first hit.

The media and the Presidential spin is amazing!!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Read this article!

Legal U.S. Arms Exports source for Mexican Narc. Ring!

It pretty much sums up where the cartels are getting their munitions and how. Long article but a very good read!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01

No, the source is ATF data, which Fox acquired for the story. Of some 36,000 guns confiscated by Mexican authorities from drug runners, the Mexican government turned over 6000 guns to our ATF for tracing, and 90% of those 6000 guns were found to be American in origin.

That is not 90% of 36,000 guns, that's 90% of 6000 guns confiscated by Mexican authorities. So, the actual number is more like 17% of all guns confiscated by Mexico are American in origin. So, it's our gubbmint that's passing disinformation, not Fox. Big surprise.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/2/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Even if it's not true....do you think the banning of guns here would stop them from getting guns elsewhere?

ALWAYS.

So who is credible?

With everyone bashing fox news all the time...starting telling me who is the most reliable news source.

CNN and MSNBC are Zionist/ obama propaganda media . so ?
i know that .

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
There does seem to be pretty strong evidence that US guns are getting to the cartels, but they're also getting guns, grenades & such from Central America.

Tightening the borders will help curtail the southbound flow of guns, and the northbound flow of illegal aliens & drugs.

No new gun control laws are needed, just enforcement of existing law: it's already illegal for US citizens to smuggle guns into Mexico.

By all means, bust the people making straw purchases and smuggling.

Law abiding gun owners should not be held responsible for the acts of criminals.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01

They got their info from gov't sources.

If you want to talk about credibility .. then ALL MSM newsources are 'as credible as Sorcha Faal' .. CNN, MSNBC .... and any gov't on the planet is as credible as Sorcha Faal.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I, for one, do not think it is unreasonable to think that Mexico's guns come from the U.S. Obviously, it is not private American citizens dealing to Mexican criminals.

It is corrupt officials or elite that are dealing to Mexican criminals for 1. Profit on the side 2. advance military agendas or 3. its all orchestrated and paid for by TPTB

Remember who funded the Mujahideen and Bin Laden? U.S.

Oh wait, who was with Carter when this was happening? Good ol' Zbiggy.

And who is lurking behind the scenes in the Obama policy?

en.wikipedia.org...

If our government deals drugs, why can't they deal arms?

edit for flow, cause it was all jumbled up

[edit on 2-4-2009 by beebs]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

ALWAYS.

So who is credible?

BBC

NPR

FOX is SHIGHT, believe that...

And FF I believe a good deal of guns come from the states, in fact when I was a bad youngster I had some experience with a couple of runners. The reason they come from here and not El Salvador is because the Mexicans actually secure their southern boarder
.BTW when was the last time ANYONE here was stopped on their way into Mexico???

My answer zero out of +50 visits

I believe FOX is trying to stir up more rage and discord -

Anyways I wish there was a way to get real information that was FACTUAL and TRUE

The real problem with this country is that there is fifteen different figure on the same concrete issue.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
What difference does it make where the weapons originated?

I'm not sure I see the point. I'd rather they all came from the US - that would make the problem much easier to control.

That is, if our officials were doing their jobs correctly.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Oh, I fully believe that 90% of the guns in the Mexican drug wars are coming from America. But they aren't coming from the gun stores.

Think CIA....

new topics

top topics

join