It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open carry fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Recently I've been looking at all the different gun laws for each state and noticed that 44/50 have some type of open carry law, whether it is unlicensed or licensed or just accepted as a common practice. So I got to thinking "Why doesn't my state (Texas) have an open carry law?". I support open carry, even as a future LEO, it would allow me to spot those who are armed rather than having to look for a bulge, or just make an educated guess. If you give those people who already legally care a handgun the option to untuck their shirts, take off their jackets, or even get rid of those awesome concealed carry vests, there will not be full scale shootouts and mass panic/hysteria in the streets. You may even have a few more deterred (read: living) criminals who decide not to rob the young woman getting cash from an ATM when they notice that not only does she have a kid in tow, but she also has a Glock strapped to her hip. I find it amazing that because we have been collectively brainwashed by old western movies to think that there were gun battles at high noon and outlaws raiding towns on a daily and frequent basis, when that wasn't the case at all, yet some how, politicians still manage to get away with keeping us from defending ourselves by using the "wild west" defense. I have actually thought about moving to Arizona because they have better gun laws than we do here in TX, but I think I'll stay here anyway, the ladies are just too pretty to leave

What are your thoughts on your state's gun/open carry laws?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
My state has no permit open carry and permit concealed carry following the train of logic that states if you're hiding it you must be up to no good.

Some say open carry invites attacks from muggers. Others say it deters attacks. I suppose it depends on where you are and who is attacking you. A dark street at 3AM and more than one person would be more likely to go for you should you be showing for instance but in that situation they'll be going for you with or without a showing firearm.

I personally hate concealed carry. I think it plays into the notion that arming yourself is uncommon and something to be ashamed of further driving gun ownership in culture further into darkness and out of the light of normalcy.

People carry openly here with regularity. Only in the parts of the state that have been "Mass'd up" (Nashua, Manchester) would anyone freak out. Should anyone freak out the cops come and depending on the cop either give you a wave and send you on your way or drill you on why you are carrying and try to make you feel like a criminal for exercising your damn rights.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
In Arizona it is legal to have open carry without a permit, but it must be fully loaded,NO JOKE. I remember walking dowtown to the gun store which had a underground range, I had an AK fully loaded and a Glock 32 fully loaded straped to my side, Rifle in hand. Nobody gave me crap. I did have a concealed permit at that time but is more of a pain in the but to actually carry concealed!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I happen to be from one of the two fine states that allows concealed carry and open carry with no licensing whatsoever.

Its nice. Everyone (well, not everyone) carries in one form or another. Any day of the week you will see someone packing in church, buying gas, even in banks. Its really a non-issue. The Brady Campaign hates us for it, so thats kind of a bonus.

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." Patrick Henry

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen are we confusing survivalism with Weaponry?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

When I first saw this thread I thought the exact same thing.

However, after reading it and thinking about it, I decided to not ask it be moved and found a reason for it being here.

In the US, firearms, for some such as me are a way of life. Open carry in towns for some is an alternative to the high fees and rigourous screening some must go through for concealed carry. Therefore, over here, in my mind, an open carry firearm could and should be considered part of an EDC. Therefore, it is survival, not weapons.

I carry everyday, everywhere I go. Sometimes its concealed, sometimes open depending on what I wear that day.

For a survivalist in Texas or another state without open carry laws, this could put a damper on how they choose to live and to prepare. Open carry should be everywhere. Not just in the US, but you Brits as well, and the Krauts, and dare I say the French. The ability to express your right to defend yourself is no different than your God given right to speak your mind, show affection in public, or to write your thoughts. We are all imbued by our Creator life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. My liberty and yours should include a side arm. To defend yourself at all times. Open carry for all, an armed republic is a safe republic.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I agree but with a caveat, for those in the United States of Haliburton bugging out could become more risky and complicated if you are simply crossing a state line. I'm not talking about SitX or TEOTWAWKI, but imagine fleeing a storm, or epidemic, or blizzard or Volcanic eruption (Imagine seeing a Californian with good dress sense
)

You have to grab your BOB bag, jump into your BOV and get out of Dodge, along the way you cross a state boundary seeking shelter. You get pulled over for out of state plates in a spot check and wallot they arrest you for CCW breach because you dont have a ticket for that state.

The Gun nut will just bluster about his daft right to keep and bear arms while shooting up a school or old folks home, but the Survivalist wil ensure he applies for CCW certs for the states that surround his own state.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Depending on why you're fleeing you might not be using roads or passing through "checkpoints" in the first place but besides all that there is a problem here with states not honoring each others carry permits. With a driver's license you can drive anywhere in the country but with a carry permit god forbid you be traveling through an unfriendly state and not know it. Should you be pulled over your life is essentially ruined because a state refused to honor a permit that by all rights you shouldnt be required to get in the first place.

I live in NH where it's open carry w/o permit and concealed w/ permit. In NH having your gun loaded in a vehicle counts as concealed to everyone here has their permit just for that reason. I came from CT with permit only concealed carry and no open carry though that is still in occasional dispute since the state constitution specifically protects the RKBA but thats a different thread.

Anyway, when I was looking for work and housing in NH they wouldnt recognize my CT permit so I had to get a NH non-resident permit the requirements for it were proof of my CT permit and a fee so really all NH wanted from me was money.

So I can carry in CT and NH now and any state with declared reciprocity. Travelling between the two I have to pass through MA which doesnt recognize either permit so before entering the state I have to pull over and unload and lock up my firearm only to do the reverse when I enter CT. For an entire state (a horrifically crime ridden one as well) I am forced to go unarmed unless I want to risk serious criminal charges.

Here's where H.R. 197 comes in. It's the National Right to Carry Bill.
www.govtrack.us...

I dont expect it to go anywhere or if it does I dont expect any changes. D.C. lost it's ridiculous gun ban over a year ago yet for all intents and purposes it is still in action. We should all be able to carry in wilderness areas now but that's been put on hold. Seems like whenever a gun law is made more strict it happens instantly but whenever it is struck down or made more lax it takes years before any action comes of it if any ever does.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

We are on this thread, my worst fear about this forum is becoming all to real. Every time a good forum on survivalism and preparedness develops the US gun nuts hijack it, looks like I'kll have to move on again soon to another forum that keeps the guns in the " just tools section". This very same thing has happened on dozens of forums over the last few years, they wind up with US politics and US gun nuts leaving the other 96% of the world population ignored.
Its so sad because there are so many wonderful American survivalists out there that we can share with and learn from, yet I know of forums in Australia, New Zealand, UK and Belgium that wont allow any Americans to join simply because they can not stop going US political or turning it into another gun talk forum.

Perhaps the moderates on this forum could unify and ask the moderators to clamp down on way off topic posts, that is not ban guns but keep the Merkin politics and gun paranoia out of it.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by Northern Raider]

top topics

join