It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama Give Queen a IPOD

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hari Seldon
The President of the United States in the Oval Office with Crayolas. Yeah, there's a promising headline.

In case you haven't notice, the DVD/iPod news stories have made headlines.
At least the crayola gift would have been more personal.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Perhaps the photo's stored on the IPOD but Real photo's Framed in a nice frame? Perhaps a Photograph of America's first black President. I mean if he was going to lack class he should at least be funny about it and give a framed copy of the Declaration of indepence!

yes it lacks class if you are the leader of another country, gifts like this should be orignal and thoughtful!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
A gift is a gift. just be grateful.

no need to make a big deal out of it.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
As far as gifts Obama is dang if you do and dang if you don't. If he gives her a cheap gift he is criticized and if he gives her an expensive gift he is criticized. He loses both ways.

It isn't the cost of the gift it is the thoughtfulness and the meaning behind the gift. Obama's "posse" doesn't seem to have any class obviously. Sure the ipod is a sweet gift if you're a teen but c'mon a freakin queen?

BTW, what do you give a Queen who has enough money to buy anything she wants?

Just curious.

You give her something she can't buy, something only found in America with some history beind it...
yeah it takes some thought.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Who said anyting about VALUE. It would have been more thoughtful and caring if he sat down, pulled out the crayons and colored her a picture and gave her THAT.

And then the complaints would have been about the colors he chose, and why. Not to mention all sorts of other conspiracy mumbo jumbo that surely would have followed.

The President of the United States in the Oval Office with Crayolas. Yeah, there's a promising headline.

The point I was trying to make (which I obviously failed at doing so) is not about "crayons" per say. But about the act of putting some caring thought into a gift. And an Ipod is not a caring thoughtful gift IMO. It seems more like a last minute thought: "Ah crap Michelle, we forgot to get the Queen something...quick send someone out to the mall!"

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Originally posted by AlxandroIn case you haven't notice, the DVD/iPod news stories have made headlines.
At least the crayola gift would have been more personal.

And I have no doubt you would have been fussing over the Crayola headlines, adding your personal asides.

All this talk about lack of class is quite easy for some people. The conditioning just takes over.

Maybe Obama should have given the Queen a Charleville musket. A riding crop would have been thoughtful too. Both gifts would have historical sentiment attached. I'm not sure she would have liked either choice of gift.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

What about the iPod's content. Does that mean anything? Would the content mean anything to the Queen?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
bet it came from a walmart too... nah that would be too good for obama i would say it came from a pawn shop if anywhere! I notice he likes to slap our allies in the face but pats our enemies on the back!

[edit on 4/1/2009 by Verd_Vhett]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Obama never fails to impress. Its funny that so many people are trying to defend Obama's lack of gift giving prowess. First with the DVD's and gift shop helicopters now with the Ipod. I suppose the press forget to mention that Michelle probably signed the Queen up for Mary Kay

This isn't about being grateful, I'm grateful when my Aunt buys me some socks. It is about thought, meaning, diplomacy,protocol and above all, class. I'm sure the Queen will tuck the Ipod right next to her beloved Nintendo Wii and PS3 game consoles. The gift should really suit the recipient. How about a piece of colonial silver or some art work from the Obama girls to display on the royal fridge.

If El Presidente wanted to make an impact by presenting The Queen with some photos, why not place them ever so nicely in a high quality leather bound and boxed hand signed album.

If I gave my wife an Ipod full of wedding pictures instead of our leather bound and boxed album she would have clobbered me.

Obama clearly doesn't get it.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You know, the Brits were upset when he had the bust of Winston Churchill removed from the oval office.

He should have given her a bust of Ronald Reagan and asked her to keep it in her office.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I would have given her slippers. Or socks.

I think you'll find it doesn't matter how many hundreds of pairs of socks a monarch buys, they never seem to have enough.

Anyway, enough with the thinly-veiled quotes - these gifts are always cheesy and are always over-analysed. As far as gifts go, the iPod isn't a bad choice, it sort of is the equivalent of the Queen's framed photo after all.

I think there are more things to be analysed from Obama's visit than the gifts! Like Gordon Brown's embarassingly distinct lack of grace and charisma in the face of his global opposite numbers for a start...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hari Seldon

What happened to restoring America's image?

We are talking about the President of the United States and The Queen of England here.
No doubt she has everything she needs and I understand the "what do you get the person that has everything" thought process, but Obama is a person that is making millions from AIG, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac and now possibly the big three.
In this case, there was no thought process at all in choosing a proper gift.
Good gawd man, at least get something in the 4 digit price range, he certainly can afford it.

He probably doesn't even tip well either.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Verd_Vhett

When does this sort of nonsense stop becoming news are start being recognized as sour grapes?

Who cares?
Why is this remotely relevant to anything?

If he gave her a diamond tiara people would be outraged over his spending habits.
I doubt any gift he gave would satisfy some people.

Man, are you guys just pulling everything off the Drudge Report you can find?

- Lee

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Hey, as a staunch and loyal monarchist I'd thought I'd chime in here. Personally, I think the gift of an iPod with a collection of photo's from the Queens first visit to the USA in something like 3 decades was a nice thought.

She has an iPod already and apparently uses it regulary, so giving her a newer model loaded with sentimental pictures and videos ihas a personal touch. She is also an avid TV watcher, Eastenders and the occasional England football match being some of the things she apparently tunes into.

Just because she is the Queen, that doesn't mean she isn't a person. She has her hobbies, interests and is quite up to date for an 82 year old Grandmother. I am sure she would have appreciated the gift immensely.

Ta very much Mr. President & the USA, from Blighty...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Honestly, doesn't Mr Obama understand Royal protocol?

It should be 'wePod'

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
reply to post by Hari Seldon

What happened to restoring America's image?

We are talking about the President of the United States and The Queen of England here.
No doubt she has everything she needs and I understand the "what do you get the person that has everything" thought process, but Obama is a person that is making millions from AIG, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac and now possibly the big three.
In this case, there was no thought process at all in choosing a proper gift.
Good gawd man, at least get something in the 4 digit price range, he certainly can afford it.

He probably doesn't even tip well either.

Given Obama's apparent stranglehold over GM, do you suppose he could have scored a Chevy Volt prototype for the Queen? Perhaps our "Green" president could have named a Windmill in her honor or given her some solar panels for the palace. These new ventures afterall are supposed to save our economy.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

reply to post by centurion1211

DVD players don't have to be compatible. A DVD player determines if certain DVDs are compatible with it or not. There are region-free DVDs that will play on any DVD player. Most likely, Obama gave region-free DVDs as a gift.

Failed miserably in your latest attempt to try and keep obama from looking bad ...

article - not from Drudge, BTW

Alas, when the PM settled down to begin watching them the other night, he found there was a problem.

The films only worked in DVD players made in North America and the words "wrong region" came up on his screen.

[edit on 4/1/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Hey, as a staunch and loyal monarchist I'd thought I'd chime in here. Personally, I think the gift of an iPod with a collection of photo's from the Queens first visit to the USA in something like 3 decades was a nice thought.

She has an iPod already and apparently uses it regulary, so giving her a newer model loaded with sentimental pictures and videos ihas a personal touch. She is also an avid TV watcher, Eastenders and the occasional England football match being some of the things she apparently tunes into.

Just because she is the Queen, that doesn't mean she isn't a person. She has her hobbies, interests and is quite up to date for an 82 year old Grandmother. I am sure she would have appreciated the gift immensely.

Ta very much Mr. President & the USA, from Blighty...

Eh. He could have at least gotten her one of those digital frames
Thats what is really "in"

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Just a detail; a detail that doesn't matter to the main point. DVD players do not have to be compatible with each other. DVDs, on the other hand, do have to be compatible with DVD players. Again, region-free DVDs, DVDs that are compatible with any player, do exist.

Next time post the source backing up your statements, and relieve your audience of making any perceptual mistakes. Not that I made any such mistake, I said, "probably...".

Continue making Obama look good!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
When does this sort of nonsense stop becoming news are start being recognized as sour grapes?

Pointing out the severe lack of experience shining through when 'The One' represents the USA overseas to a Head of State is not - 'sour grapes'. He has earned every negative remark that has been posted. He earned it all by himself.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join