It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama Give Queen a IPOD

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Barack Obama

blogs.telegraph.co.uk

Barack Obama met the Queen at Buckingham Palace today and gave her a gift of an iPod loaded with video footage and photographs of her 2007 United States visit to the Richmond, Jamestown and Williamsburg in Virginia. In return, the Queen gave the President a silver framed signed photograph of herself and the Duke of Edinburgh - apparently a standard present for visiting dignitaries.

The Queen already has an iPod, a 6GB silver Mini version she bought in 2005 at the suggestion of Prince Andrew.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/1/2009 by Verd_Vhett]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
So is this yet another Class less Gift from our President? First Dvds and now an Ipod. Hopfully it is at least an Ipod Touch! As the artical states the Queen allready has an Ipod. What is next a gift certificate for Itunes? I honestly think this man has no class what so ever, he could have put a little thought in to a gift to be given to a queen.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
As far as gifts Obama is dang if you do and dang if you don't. If he gives her a cheap gift he is criticized and if he gives her an expensive gift he is criticized. He loses both ways.

Personally, the less he gives her the better. I would have just given her a hug during these economic times.

BTW, what do you give a Queen who has enough money to buy anything she wants?

Just curious.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It's actually very refreshing to hear an iPod being called an unclassy gift. They are way overpriced, magnets for theft, and itunes is garbage.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
He's from Chicago. Underneath the IPod were stacks and stacks of cash.

Seriously though, he should have a protocol adviser that can do better than that. This is not only embarrassing but getting sad.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
somthing meaning full! I mean even a Signed photo of him in a nice frame would have been more classy then an IPod. An ipod is a gift you would give a high school or college student, maybe a good friend! Its not even about the price its the thought that he must have put in to it. I bet he thought he was slick thinking ah the queen wont have one of these!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
its actually a nice gift - with images of a happy visit which is of meaning to him - far better than wandering into harrods and buying any old tat

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
As far as gifts Obama is dang if you do and dang if you don't. If he gives her a cheap gift he is criticized and if he gives her an expensive gift he is criticized. He loses both ways.

Personally, the less he gives her the better. I would have just given her a hug during these economic times.

BTW, what do you give a Queen who has enough money to buy anything she wants?

Just curious.

I agree. the hug part cracked me up. I would pay to see that! Considering i don't think I have seen anyone give her a hug.

The prime minister gave Obama some shamrocks. It could be argued that giving a plant is a lousy gift. It wasn't just a plant, it was a symbol of Ireland. In a nice green planter.

People don't realize but entertainment IS America's export. So is corn. But... I dont' think Obama can give corn. Though the thought is kinda funny.

Countries all over the world watch our movies, and listen to our music. Bands come here to make it big. With the exception of Baliwood, Hollywood is the entertainment capital.

In other countries, the first movies people see are American, even if they are 20 years old.

Japanese pay big bucks to see american celebrities in commercials.

You will hear a movie makes 20 million here, but 80 million world wide.

Fact is, the cds and the ipod are symbolic. Just like the shamrock was symbolic. The ipod was created here, by an american giant. It is very symbolic. How many british bands have made it big here?
Because most of these people are wealthy and have everything they need, they exchange symbolic gifts.

Her ipod is from 2005, so most likely she is now getting an updated version.I think loading it with pictures is a very nice modern way of giving a photo.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Verd_Vhett

I'm sure it must be difficult to bring a gift to the queen who has everything but giving her an ipod whilst arriving with an entourage that's bigger than some towns! What an insult. What an embarrassment.
Good job on even checking if she has an ipod already ~ oops ~ Not

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett

So is this yet another Class less Gift from our President? First Dvds and now an Ipod. Hopfully it is at least an Ipod Touch! As the artical states the Queen allready has an Ipod. What is next a gift certificate for Itunes? I honestly think this man has no class what so ever, he could have put a little thought in to a gift to be given to a queen.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk

you wanted change???
or were you a McCainer?

Either way.

I think it's lovely.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think the ipod was a rather thoughtful gift, considering it had been loaded with videos and images from her last visit to America. The device is a nice example of American ingenuity and an emblem of the sort of economy we should strive for on both sides of the Atlantic: one bolstered by fresh ideas and consumer appeal, rather than merely plugging along with the same, archaic manufacturing/agricultural system that relies ever more heavily on government subsidy.

Anyone criticizing the monetary value of the item should ask how much a photograph costs, and how ultimately useful and entertaining it is. I'm sure the Queen will enjoy the multitude of things she can do with her new ipod for many more hours than the Obamas will spend gazing upon her image wrapped in silver.

Of course, if Her Majesty is anything like my girlfriend, she won't even take it out of the box for months and months, no doubt to Prince Philip's frustration.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Actually I heard on the news that it is inproper to hug the queen! As for the IPOD The reason i say it lacks class is anyone who wants an Ipod has one by now! I could see if this was when they first came out then it might be some what Exceptable. Why not just frame one of the photo's and give that instead of puting them on a electronic peice of crap! I will bet cost wise the frame she gave him was worth more then that IPOD!

Honestly put some thought in to this crap!

also IPODS are made in China in sweat shops by people who make crap wages yeah I guess it is a symbol of america!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I guess a 2nd IPod is a better gift than DVD's that won't work on British DVD players (plus here, take the bust of one of the UK's greatest leaders - Churchill - back).

Note to nixie_nox: all DVD's have a region code for where they can be played to help protect against piracy. US DVD's and UK DVD players are not compatible.

And why do I doubt that the queen would really appreciate a hug from Obama?

There's no way around the fact that our new messiah has taken the practice of protocol and diplomacy to new lows.

[edit on 4/1/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I agree, and it seems that his wife should have a little influence as to a proper gift to give.
I have more class on the tip of my little finger than those two.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

He could have given her a sack of Monsanto Idaho Potatoes!

Failing that, a bag of Frito-Lays!

That's America!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose

I agree, and it seems that his wife should have a little influence as to a proper gift to give.

There is a CT out there that says these snubs are all michelle obama's doing as a way of "repaying" the British for their part in the slave trade (note to MO, that was over 150 years ago - at the latest).

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett

also IPODS are made in China in sweat shops by people who make crap wages yeah I guess it is a symbol of america!

What was he suppose to get her that symbolizes American?

A 5 billion dollar death-chopper?
Or maybe a missile?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I agree fully with jam321 and Nixie_Nox. People are not really complaining about the gift in itself that he gave, but about that HE gave the gift. If it would have been some other person, it would just have been considered sweet. But now it was Obama! How DARE he give people ordinary gifts!! If he hadn't given her anything, people would have noticed it somehow and complained about it anyway.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Im really surprised he didn't give her a gift card to some American store.

The lack of class and creativeness is just typical of the man's personality.

When I give gifts, I put so much thought and creativeness into it.

There are a zillion other things he could have done for her - given her. As an example, he could have found an American artist and had some painting done for her.

Im actually embarrassed by this gesture of him and the whole DVD gift. What a flippn joke he is.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

DVD players don't have to be compatible. A DVD player determines if certain DVDs are compatible with it or not. There are region-free DVDs that will play on any DVD player. Most likely, Obama gave region-free DVDs as a gift.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join