It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone experience this phenomena???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I was talking with my mum this morning about all things strange and we stumbled across a concept both of us have experienced a number of times in our lives. We are wondering if anybody could shed some light on what is happening here. I thought it best to bulletpoint some of our descriptions of the experience as it is so difficult to put into words...

i) It generally happens in the morning but can last from an hour a half to all day.

ii) It feels like finally remembering a dream you had trouble recalling.

iii) It feels like a duality, that you have essentially woke up twice over, doing things completely differently in each timeline and the memories of both have become intertwined. This generates a state of confusion as you cannot diifferentiate between your memories and those that you have no recollection of doing.

iv) There is a powerful feeling of familiarity. The dual thoughts are so vivid in recollection that they feel as real as your own memories.

v) It feels like you've figured something out which has puzzled you for a long time. Even though you feel accomplishment and you understand the concept in your mind, you cannot describe in words what you have understood and you cannot remember the thinking process to reach that conclusion. Essentially, memories of events without living the events.

vi) My mother finds it a frightening and disorientating experience. I personally feel excited because it is like a source of important information that I had forgotten and suddenly get access to again. Both of us however feel frustrated because we cannot place these thoughts into a tangible space.

vii) Your decision making processes are completely nullified because you can't decipher what did and didn't happen.

The fact that both of us have gone through this experience leads me to believe that this might be more widespread. This is the first time either of us has ever been able to speak of it and put it into and words at all because it is so hard a phenomena to pin down. Please post up anything similar here. We would love to have a discussion about this.

Thanks in advance,
Th8nker

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I may be entirely wrong, but I'm wondering--could this be what you're describing?

If not, I've got nothing similar, but I have experienced that one before.

Sorry if this isn't what you meant--was just my best guess.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by quitebored

On the flip side of that.... it could be Jamais-Vu

Th8nker... I'm not entirely sure what it is?
Aspects of what you describe sound familiar....and others don't.

I will watch the thread with interest though mate

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Once I slept for what I believed only an hour max but woke up some eight to nine hours later, having revisited a familiar dream, this time recollecting much vividly of a place I had never been in real life but a recurring dream experience. I somehow thought that place was likely where I had been in my past life.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The experience is not deja vu, jamais vu or presque vu but has some elements of all! There is definitely a descrepancy between our life experience and what we are recalling. Indeed, sometimes, there even seems to be a contradiction between the very nature of what we know is our physical reality and where the events of these recollections have taken place, almost like they happened outside of any experience we had here on earth. In other words, we remember things that we feel we never did consciously!

Its like the 'vu's' except it seems to cross different versions of reality, some very different to our own. Does that make sense?

Th8nker

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Th8nker

About the closest thing was something I posted here.

I'm not sure that anyone ever answered to that post.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
These could be variations of MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder) or Disassociative Identity Disorder (or Disassociative Fugue)

That is the only logical explanation that I can think of for what is happening to you.

I suggest that you consult a neurologist and get a EEG brain scan done.

Here is some detail on Dis associative fugue

A fugue state, formally Dissociative Fugue (previously called Psychogenic Fugue) (DSM-IV Dissociative Disorders 300.13[1]), is a rare psychiatric disorder characterized by reversible amnesia for personal identity, including the memories, personality and other identifying characteristics of individuality. The state is usually short-lived (hours to days), but can last months or longer. Dissociative fugue usually involves unplanned travel or wandering, and is sometimes accompanied by the establishment of a new identity. After recovery from fugue, previous memories usually return intact, however there is complete amnesia for the fugue episode. Importantly, an episode is not characterized as a fugue if it can be related to the ingestion of psychotropic substances, to trauma, to a general medical condition, or to psychiatric conditions such as delerium or dementia, bipolar disorder or depression. Fugues are usually precipitated by a stressful episode, and upon recovery there may be amnesia for the original stressor

Source: Disassociative Fugue

[edit on 1-4-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I had a read of your post EnlightenUp and it seems to have similar traits. There appears to be variations in all of the examples given on this thread as opposed to an exact replica of the phenomenon. Has anyone else got anything to add?

Th8nker

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The same thing kind of happens to me too, but only lasts for a few minutes, if that. It happens at random, and it's a lot more than just "deja vu". The events don't appear real "important", at least in my view, but there are times randomly that come up where I know that I've seen/been in that situation before..like recalled from a dream long ago is my guess.

Example: My first day of college I met some my roomates, but at that moment, my brain goes crazy and I know i've seen the same thing, been in the same spot with the same people I just met, just months and months before in a dream(?). It is more than deja vu...I can actually feel that I have been in this situation, or at least thought about it before.

Sometimes it happens once a week and other times it doesn't happen for a while. It kinda freaks me out for a few minutes whenever this happens.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by compwiz32190]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Th8nker

The deja vu aspect is distinctly separate from the experience described and there's no real dissociation (which I pointed out there). I've had the brain scans and EEGs and such and have a clean bill of health despite outward manifestations of things associated with disorders like epilepsy, schizophrenia, et al.

The phenomena that sent me off to the neurologist some time ago was mentioning seeing flashing lights and smelling strange odors.

So, what is the explanation when one has been thoroughly examined and probed yet nothing is identified including not being mentally insane?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by quitebored

On the flip side of that.... it could be Jamais-Vu

Th8nker... I'm not entirely sure what it is?
Aspects of what you describe sound familiar....and others don't.

I will watch the thread with interest though mate

I am an avid reader and I realized that a lot of times that this has occurred to me it is because of a book that I read at one time or another.

If I really like a book I just don't read the words I am transported to another place where I can actually see, feel, smell and taste what is being described in the book.

I have run into people that I am convinced that I have met before to realize that the meeting actually took place in a book; that they look exactly like I envisioned a person to look in a book past read.

It may not be the only answer but it may explain some occurrences.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This is not the product of a powerful imagination or anything to do with a dream state. The fact that both my mother and I experience the same thing could very well be genetic. I just wish I could describe this better. I really can't any more than my original post. Sorry. I'm just interested in how widespread this is!

Th8nker

top topics

join