It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Ontario residents only' at Tent City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

'Ontario residents only' at Tent City

www.latimes.com

Large, often confused, crowds formed ragged lines behind police barricades where officers handed out color-coded wristbands. Blue meant they were from Ontario and could remain. Orange indicated they had to provide more proof to avoid ejection, and white meant they had a week to leave.

Many who had taken shelter at the camp -- which had grown from 20 to more than 400 residents in nine months -- lacked paperwork, bills or birth certificates proving they were once Ontario residents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

"They are tagging us because we are homeless," she said, staring at her orange wristband. "It feels like a concentration camp."

Brent Schultz, the city's housing and neighborhood revitalization director. "But we have always said this was for Ontario's homeless and not the region's homeless. We can't take care of the whole area."

I need help here ATS
I can understand both arguments quoted above

What is right here?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Id have to agree with the later 'argument'

Brent Schultz, the city's housing and neighborhood revitalization director. "But we have always said this was for Ontario's homeless and not the region's homeless. We can't take care of the whole area."

The people who originally live in the area that lost homes should be the FIRST and only people to get help in that area - because its true, they only have so many resources.

Just seems fair to me. And as much as I hate to see all those other peopel turned away - they arent from the area.

Plus all those residents paid into these programs by paying taxes. Outsiders did not.

Its not an easy side to take - because I too see both sides. But if you lived in that area and saw people coming from all over and you were stuck not getting any help because they ran out of room, etc.....how would you feel?

Also, I can not seem to open the link to read the entire article. So my response is based on what has been posted here.

[edit on 3/31/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Why would the police get involved in this at all? It's a tent city.

Anyway... if america starts doing this... well... dividing itself... it can't be good in the long run.

And Swarzi want to FORCE the homeless into camps... where they have no constitutionnal rights... effectively concentration camps. They said they would be starting forcing them into camps at the end of may. The homeless people said that they would not go along and if they were forced, they would just move away to be free from government prisons.

Those camps are like prisons. It's not a big surprise for California, since the prison unions RULES the state. Disgusting.

In 50 years they may write ``My Journey In The American Gulag Archipelago``.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
People who have been homeless for a while often do not have ID, nor do they have the money or resources to spend hundreds of dollars replacing lost ID, so the entire thing is ludicrous. The fact is, resources have to spent on ever single living breathing person. There is no passing the buck, wherever they are. Also understand, whether you are homeless or not, choosing where to locate is a matter for the individual, not the province, region or state. Period. This isn't Nazi Germany. Don't like it, get a proportional democracy going with good social programs, massive housing and low cost ones. Model after Norway. Because the homeless like it even less than you. Its up to us to ensure we live in a decent world, and so far we are all brainwashed conspirators of the psychos running this system. Those wearing orange need to band up and park their tents on the legistlators lawns. Don't ever give in to the Nazis. Change the system!!!! Wake up!!!! This should be a wake up call!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

People who have been homeless for a while often do not have ID, nor do they have the money or resources to spend hundreds of dollars replacing lost ID,

Really? Sure about that? Because knowing many cops who interact with homeless around the country, this is the first I have heard of homeless not having IDs.

And costing hundreds of dollars to replace? The fee to get a replacement there is $22 (www.dmv.ca.gov...). Grant it not always an easy amount to come buy, but it can be done.

And again:

"We have to be sensitive, and we will give people time to locate documents," said Brent Schultz, the city's housing and neighborhood revitalization director. "But we have always said this was for Ontario's homeless and not the region's homeless. We can't take care of the whole area."

The city originally set up the area last summer to help its homeless population, but when word spread about Tent City, the area was crowded with about 400 people, many of them from other cities, counties, even states.
The city said it cannot handle that many people

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=6038423

"We've always intended that this was for Ontario's homeless population, and that we help that population get connected to county services, get connected to nonprofits and churches, hopefully get pathways out of homelessness if possible," said Brent Shultz of the city's housing department.
On Monday morning, bulldozers began removing leftover debris, and workers began clearing a large dirt lot to create what the city is calling a fenced in temporary homeless service area that will have a fire pit, water and portable restrooms.
The service area will cost the city about $100,000. City officials said they know this is not a long-term solution and are working with the county. City officials hope to have center cleaned up and improvements done in the next couple of weeks.

How do you expect them to take care of people moving into the area, just to get the free services? Many (most?) of these people paid into the programs via taxes - shouldnt they be the ones who get service FIRST?

Its a horrible situation - but unless there is some order, then chaos will ensue and people will be left with nothing. And the city will be left with no resources.

I always wonder why the people who complain about the government not taking care of the homeless dont go down to these places and give some of these homeless people a place in their homes. I bet even sleeping on your floor would be better then on the ground in a tent. Charity starts with you first, not the government.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

I agree with you on many levels
But blame should also go to the states/cities where these homeless people are coming from.
At least Ontario, CA is giving "some" people places to live, what about other states?

There's so many facets to this issue. Here in Toronto, Ontario there was also a 'tent city', but then the owners of Home Depot had private security force the homeless to relocate. And while they were there many drug abusers prefered the tents instead of real housing, because they could have 80% of their income go towards their addictions instead of paying rent. Also prostitution was on the rise in these areas.

There are too many sides to the coin, it's a real dilemma.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This really depends on how long you've been homeless. Many, teenagers, runaways, those who have been evicted from mental institutions due to the government renigging on its obligation to care for them, long term survivors do not have this, or are missing pieces.

And the fact is, absolutely everyone has absolute rights. Forever. All people who think otherwise must be met with massive resistance because they are the problem, they're also primitives. We could have all been living like Norway except for the mindset of a small fraction of humans on earth that keep voting in these cretins.

Now the people have to group up. I imagine these tent cities are going to grow and grow. Just think of the political power they will yield. I can't wait. Massive movement from the bottom up. This is how nwo and the fascists crumble. The only thing I have to add, is these people who are living in tents have nothing to loose if they ask start demanding their rights, start demanding reforms. I wonder if there has been any sitings of unusual crafts overhead, I'm pretty sure our visitors have noticed. They should also hold candlelit sessions, and meditate and ask for help: www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are truly this planets representatives. You want the real story, the real people, the real representatives, look to the most vulnerable citizens. They shine their lights strongly and show everything about the world you're living in. Don't ask a politician for an answer, they just lie. Go and see for yourself, the answer is right there, with our homeless.

Now it would really shock them if we all picked up our tents and joined them until this world was turned around.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Now it would really shock them if we all picked up our tents and joined them until this world was turned around.

But why dont you take some of these homeless people in and help them? Why do we have to wait for the government to step in and help them.

Yes, its all a very tragic situation. And each story is different. Each reason why someone is out there is different. And each story is heartbreaking.

But do you not believe that charity starts with you first? I think so. The government has only so many resources. But all of those complaining, have a roof they could be sharing with one of these people/family.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
With my troop of boys, and the costs of rent, I'm always living in crowded conditions with a family member. 1600 a month for a house is too much, even 1400 for townhouses now. In nearly every town or city in BC. What I've thought instead is that under such conditions, people would be better off walking away from such a massive money grab and control from the mason realators here and show support for those already making their presence known. The more you have, the more controlled you are. Willingness to walk away in large numbers and join them and then become political monsters, could massively change this world.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by mystiq

Why do we have to wait for the government to step in and help them.[edit on 3/31/2009 by greeneyedleo]

Because you ARE the government.

The government you have is based on YOU being the main unit of the government. That governance is the essential process of pooling resources and protections and values to do the work that is easier and better and thriftier to do as a group than as a collection of individuals.

You aren't "waiting for the government." You ARE the government. When the government steps in to do a due dilegence of care for your fellow citizens and your fellow man it is YOU doing it.

What the hell are you people being taught in school that you don't even understand what your system of government MEANS. It isn't something that is APART from you.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I missed this part about the government. Of course, the government is merely supposed to be an extension of our collectivity. Thats what is, the management we hire, and we really need to look at better models such as the moneyless resource society one and proportional democracy as done in the Scandinavian countries because they're far ahead of our corrupted ones, of our joint assets and our childrens inheritance. There is no government over your head. Thats us, our extension. And it should be about providing a civilized world that benefits everyone equally.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by mystiq

People who have been homeless for a while often do not have ID, nor do they have the money or resources to spend hundreds of dollars replacing lost ID,

Really? Sure about that? Because knowing many cops who interact with homeless around the country, this is the first I have heard of homeless not having IDs.

I worked with the homeless for 4 years -
Many of them do not have ID.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
If I understand this right, there is a residency requirement for homeless people in Ontario?

Ain't America amazing?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wow, now if the federal government would approach the illegal immigration problems like Ontario has done with the homeless, voila! No more illegals allowed in or to stay in the U.S. Where's Nancy Pelosi on this? Her state is acting in an Un-American way.

top topics

join