It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Indication Of The Human's Past Biology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I have something that happens to my ears. Sometimes when I hear something in the back of me, like a tap or far off noise, my ears (both of them) tend to "twitch" at the sound of the noise, as if my ears move on their own to catch the sound. It is kind of like the same reaction dogs will get when their ears attempt to listen to sounds, you know, when their ears move suddenly at a startling noise.

I think this is an indication that this is a natural survival mechanism for the human and we probably have a whole lot that we may not be aware of.

Has this or does this happen to anybody?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Unconscious defensive reflex? Why not as it makes sense in the animal kingdom!

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
We have all sorts of handy automated responses.

My personal favourite is the eye protection responses. Like the automatic blink when turning your head. Or the automatic close when something is about to hit you in the eye, that one has saved me more than once from random flying glass and junk. Really anything surprising happens around the head and the eyes will shut to protect themselves. Try flicking someone behind the ear for example. If you videotape it and slow it down the eyes will shut well before any other response arrives.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Are you sure they actually twitch ?

Couldn't it be that you are simply imaging the movement because your thoughts automatically go to where you hear the sound, so it gives the sensation that your ears are moving to catch the sound ?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
Are you sure they actually twitch ?

Couldn't it be that you are simply imaging the movement because your thoughts automatically go to where you hear the sound, so it gives the sensation that your ears are moving to catch the sound ?
Yes, the skin around my ears tends to twitch on their own, causing my ears to move a little. I don't imagine it, as it happens on its own. I guess it's just a natural reaction, but it is interesting nonetheless.

top topics

join