It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists conceive mouse with two moms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Men, your gender just took a hit in the animal kingdom. Scientists report they've created mice by using two genetic moms -- and no dad.

That's a first for any mammal. But don't look for this service at the corner fertility clinic. Experts say the mouse procedure can't be done in people for technical and ethical reasons.

In fact, one of the moms was a mutant newborn, whose DNA had been altered to make it act like a male's contribution to an embryo.

The work sheds light on why mice and people normally do need a dad's DNA to reproduce. Some experts also said it held implications for using human stem cells to treat disease.

www.cnn.com...

Quite a strange world we live in.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it, Jonna.

Reminds me of a book I read several years back. It was a feminist utopian novel, written in the early 20th century. All the men of the specific society vanished, for some reason, and the women thought that would be the end of them, as they could no longer reproduce, but then, to their surprise, a young women ended up pregnant, and from then on, there was no need for men for reproduction.

Also, I found two teeny, newborn mice when I was cleaning this morning. Absolutely tiny, no fur, their eyes still sealed shut. Time to experiment

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Parrhesia tell me you wouldn't really experiment.

as the article...once again man playing god, it is definitely an amazing and strange world we live in.
but it makes me wonder if any freak mutant females could have been born during some time in history and reproduced without males....hmmm...don't worry I won't ponder too long on this.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well, I think I'll let them get a little bit bigger before I commence anything, WW.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
* All the Homophobes Faint *

What have we become !

lol

Its amazing how far science has gone, simply amazing

Deep

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There are certain animals that do change their sex when confronted with the problem of inadaquate mating partners so it is possible, but as for manipulation of humans? Out side of surgery I really can not say.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I think it is cool how they can make to girls have a kid but they really weren't the same gender. One of the female's dna was altered to act like a male. It was really made between a Female and a sort of female type thing.

I really don't think we should do this type of thing with humans because or reproductive system is working just fine. We are over populated as it is.

top topics

join