It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck 3/27/09: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 - HR 875

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
HR 875 was brought up weeks ago in a post "Lose your property for growing food?" If you don't like the sound of this bill, look it up--it appears to apply to food grown only for commercial purposes, but the wording is ambiguous. I'm not at all worried about my own vegetable garden, but I am very concerned for small and organic farms, community-supported agriculture, farmer's markets, etc. I contacted my US representative, and found this bill is in subcommitee, so there's still time to fight this thing.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Sounds like this is intended to shut down farmer's markets. Are farmer's markets REALLY taking so much of a chunk from the industrial food growers' profit that they feel the need to push this?

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

I would suggest not being so absolute. It is corrupt, but when it comes to voting, I've seen one clear example that all a legislator has to do is stand to stretch his legs and someone nearby will press the yea/neah button behind his back.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SGTChas
The key here is that Monsanto is a leading supplier of genetically altered seed which produce plants that have INERT SEEDS. What this means is that you will have to buy seeds every season. Further, these genetically altered variants do not contain the nutrition of the organic non-altered variants; which is also why the current push to control vitamins and nutritional supplements. Remember that he who controls the food supply controls the populace.

Yes, now I see what's happening here - I avoided bring up the latest petition in Canada (about Vitamins and Supplements requiring prescriptions) in this thread as I hadn't drawn the particular correlation as you have - thank you for bringing that up...

For those of us (by us, I mean loosely) who have gardens, and have been gardening for years - and for those who already have their gardens in place - they won't have to purchase seeds as they will have their own, correct? Isn't there a way to avoid purchasing seeds every year? I don't think my grandmother has ever bought any....?

But by these people gaining control over the seeds you can buy - of COURSE they're going to be genetically altered, and you will HAVE to purchase them every year. That is the only way these guys are going to make any money. It's the newer farmers who will suffering this (backwards gardening issues) because they will have to purchase seeds... But couldn't those who have always gardened from their own seeds - be exempt from this? Is there anyway that I could be safe from having to ingest any of their produce, directly or indirectly, be it seeds or produce at the supermarket?

- Carrot

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

My advice for those of you growing your own gardens is to purchase seed from a supplier who has pledged not to sell genetically modified seed (see Safe Seed Initiative). Get untreated open-pollintated varieties. You can save the seed from these varieties from year to year. It's very easy to do with beans, peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons, etc. A little trickier with plants that produce very small seeds or plants that don't set seed until the second year (like carrots).

It's the farmers who are getting screwed. Between Monsanto's terminator technology and their patented seeds, farmers are being forced to buy their GM seed year after year.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
OMG, I can see slowly, that things are getting worse...this is so messed up, what is this world and this country coming too.
I can only hope there is a revolution in this country and worldwide...horrible to think, but maybe that's what is needed.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join