It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visiting the Mayan Ruins Soon.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm wondering if there is anything cool to look at or for. Naturally I'm not expecting to see anything that hasn't been seen before but it would be cool if I could go in knowing more than the tour guide (if we have one).

Anyone here specialize in mayan culture?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I just saw chitzen itza and uxmal a couple months ago.....lost my camera tho...dammit.

I don't know what you should look for but they are pretty amazing places....so have fun.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Demonis

I can almost guarentee that you will not know more than the tour guide! Those guys know their stuff and often work with the archaeologists during the field seasons.

Which sites will you be visiting? I highly recommend you see Tikal in Guatemala. The greatest Maya site in history! It really is unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm not entirely sure where we are going yet. I will find out though. I would be glad if the tour guide did know a lot, but from past experiences with tour guides... they are rarely useful beyond cue cards.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well, if you go to Western Belize to Cahal Pech or Xunantunich then you may luck out and get to speak with some experts! I know of a couple of projects going on in the area, so you might get to see some excavations.

Have to be careful around the border of Guatemala though. Banditos are always looking to make political statements by kidnapping tourists. No worries though, there are Belizean military guys patroling most of the time with their M-16's!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
You'll probably see Palenque. Check out the underground lakes in the area. They are a vast interconnected maze of caves that have been flooded with salt and fresh water.

Maya thought they were the entrance to the underworld. Maybe they are, what the heck do I know?

Harte

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
All the above places and don't forget Copan! Tulum is always interesting because of its location on the sea.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
yeah talum looked pretty stellar from the pics that i saw.
Didn't make this time around tho. Oh well, I'm goin to machu pichu next month.

I would kinda like to do a cenote tour of the yucatan as well, there's tons of those things...anyone down to see if we can swim in em all in like a week or 2?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I think we are making stops at port Progresso and Cancun. I am not sure on this yet. Any major points of interest there that would be worth making the extra effort to see?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demonis
I think we are making stops at port Progresso and Cancun. I am not sure on this yet. Any major points of interest there that would be worth making the extra effort to see?

Get some big dark sunglasses to wear on the beach at Cancun.

That way you can stare at the thongs and no one will be the wiser!

Harte

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think we may also be stopping over on Cozumel. Good times indeed.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Chichen Itza, and I would say Coba if you have the time as well.

I always figured Chichen Itza was just the main pyramid, but it really is a large city with many different buildings.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
When my wife and I were in the Riviera last year we took a tour of the Coba ruins (one of the last ruins with a pyramid you are allowed to climb). Really amazing. According to our guide, who also had some degree in archeology or something along those lines, they had found a previously never seen tablet specifically regarding 2012 somewhere close by at a dig site. Apparently Coba still has a lot to be discovered. He was saying that only about 15 to 20 percent has been uncovered.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Heres a few of the pictures of the Coba Ruins

This next one was of their version of a basketball court

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
oh i envy you. I would love to see the mayan ruins. sigh.

are you traveling all over or one place in particular? I think monchu pichu is the place to see.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hey there, i am originaly from Mexico and if i may suggest something quite interesting while you'll be around.... talk to the natives where ever you go!
This is also because when you do you will see the old stories and traditions come alive when you'll be walking around and you might also be able to make sense of what your tour guide will tell you...

Also... highly recomend to read the Popol-Vuh

Have a great trip!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
My trip to Yucatan were 92- 97, we walked up every pyramid we visited in Uxmal, Copa, chichen Itza, palenque, etc, all of them. I would hope they still allow it as it was integral part of the trip. please take your time and tip the guides, they can get you into pyramids internal structure that most dont get to see.

HIghly agree with previous post, GET CONNECTED WITH LOCALS. They know so much and are willing to tell the stories, there are many millions of Mayan still living and practicing their culture. We even ended up at peoples houses for dinner and drinks till the next morning, it was fantastic.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I too will be going in May...I can't wait, I know for sure that I am going to Chichén Itzá...Hopefully I will make it to Tulum and Coba as well...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Machu Pichu is Incan and in South America, high in the Andies mountains. Mayans were in Central America lowlands. Similar cultures, but not the same. Central America also had the Aztecs and Olmecs. Lots to see, but many places have become very touristy. Some guides are good, others quite bad and sometimes give out bad or false information. Best bet.... learn some Spanish and talk to the locals. Hit the library and research the places you are going to. Or.. let us know some specifics about WHERE you are going and we can fill you in.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It was pretty great, I got pictures which I will try to get posted up. We went to Dzibilchaltun in Progreso. The trip stopped there and in Cozumel. Which I didn't have time to see any cities/sites there.

The only neat structure in Dzibilchaltun is (what the tour guide said was) the astrology building. It is positioned so that the sun sets in the one of the windows during the winter solstice, the main door during the equinox, and the other window during the summer solstice. Quite impressive, though it is kind of sad to see how much modification the structures have undergone from reconstruction. I would much rather see what's left of a ruin, than see what someone else thought the building was 'supposed' to look like.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join