It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to flight SIMS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Okay, so I've got a beef with tom-clancy gaming now... I just finished trying out HAWX, and I've got to say I was more than disappointed.

Why in the name of games can't anyone make a flight sim anymore?!

I tried it out thinking "Hey, it's a tom clancy game, it's gotta be sim-ish right?"

WRONG.

It was the worst, and I do mean WORST attempt at a flight game I have ever seen in my entire life!!!
Even the old SU-25 stormovik game on the old IBM 386 was more enjoyable than this garbage.

In this pathetic attempt to make a flight game, it forces you to view your plane from the outside for most of it... which wouldn't be bad if it was a following camera... but it's not.
Yep, while your plane is twisting and turning all over the place, can you see the enemy? Can you make it look at the enemy?
Only if the camera feels like it.

Then there's the controls. There simply is no precision flying in this game... the smallest movement you can make is no less than 8 degrees.
It's akin to trying to inch forward at a stop light, only to find a slight tap on the gas leaves you in the middle of the intersection.

The throttle has 3 speeds.
Afterburner, landing speed, and free falling brick.

I am so sick and tired of games being made that advertise themselves like a flight sim, only for the player to discover it's only home should be in a back alley arcade.

Lunar Lander for the Attari had better physics.

Even if they advertised it as an arcade game, it's still completely un-enjoyable.

I want the old flight sims back.
It's not hard, the physics on many of the Janes games were good, just update the graphics and you've got a great game!

So sick of these pathetic arcady attempts at flight games.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
You may wish to give X-Plane a try.

The Simulator is designed to have the most realistic flight physics engine available. It's been an ongoing project distributed by Leminar Research.

The graphics are constantly being updated and every little detail of the game is customizable. You can make your own worlds, airports, planes atmospheres and all from scratch down to the very coding.

The simulator has a huge community following that's always uploading new addons (i.e. planes, worlds, scenery, etc..)

The simulator is visually stunning with it's detail but you will need a powerful system to realize all of it's beauty. It's also certified to be used as a flight training program and one can log 20 flight hours using the program alongside a trainer if you purchase an added support feature (just to express the realism of this sim).

It's suprisingly affordable and will cost the same as those flight "simz" you see being thrown at us. My advise to you is to at least go to their website and check it out to see if it's something you'd like. Personally, the weather engine alone is enough to make me play this over any other sim out there.

Notice I did not once call this a game. It is a true simulation program and the interface of the program itself is not a user-friendly one like you might find in FSX or any other sim made by a "gaming" company. Do not get this confused with the cockpits however, those are also fully customizable and the game ships with true to life photo-realistic cockpits for almost every aircraft.

www.x-plane.com... (X-Plane Official site)
www.x-plane.org... (Official community site and downloads)

www.x-plane.com... (Beautiful screenshot from the newest version)

Hopefully this helps you find what you are looking for in a sim.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by M0n0lyth]

[edit on 30-3-2009 by M0n0lyth]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
X-PLANE ALL THEY WAY. It is hands down the BEST flight sim I have ever owned. I have been flying it since version 5 and have been purchasing the update disks ever since off the net. You literally have the ENTIRE Earth's terrain below you, constructed from real radar data from the shuttle missions. The realism is amazing. So many planes to add and you can make your own!! What sold me on X-Plane was the flight model. Not to mention the ability to simulate hypersonic & exo-atmospheric flight.

ALSO - try out the free space simulator ORBITER. Orbiter is the "x-plane" of space simulators. You will be BLOWN AWAY by the graphics and physics engine. I cannot begin to describe how AMAZING this sim is. PLEASE PLEASE check it out. If you are a coder or 3D modeler you can add your own craft fairly easily. Give it a try!! You WILL be hooked !!

BTW - I have SU-25 Stormovik on 3.5" floppy in the original box. Bought it back in the early ''90s when I was a kid. It was my first sim - man I wore that thing out!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Orbiter Space Simulator

Can't begin to describe how awesome flying over the Earth on the dark-side and coming into sunrise is..

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Any programme that is marketted for consoles, with a stupid little name like HAWX, with TOM CLANCY written on it, is garbage. Period. If ANY of the criteria is not met, do NOT buy. You want a good sim? Try asking on forums. HAWX isn't a simulator, it's a peice of crap and was marketted as such (never was a sim).

Here are some good ones.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X - this NEEDS mods to be realistic however, such as Precision Manuals Development Group. Excells in civilian flying, complete garbage for anything else. Good for beginners are serious simmers. Best graphics, best realism (with lots of $$$ worth of mods), bad performance on anything less than a Core 2 duo, 2gb, 7900GTX. In airliner simulation the mods will put this lightyears in front of anything else.

X-Plane. More realistic flight dynamics than Flight Simulator X but not noticable against modded aircraft in normal flight. Is bad in graphics, & avionics. OK for beginners and good for serious players. No weapons.

Orbiter. Space simulation. You need to know what you're doing here, or else you're wasting your time.

Lock ON. Modern combat flight sim. Good for beginners and semi - serious gamers. Has good multiplayer,,, once you learn the ropes it becomes too easy multiplayer though, just fly through the mountains passive and IRST R-27ET any bastard that you see.. hahhaha. Everything is good but avionics are too simple.

Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. F-16 sim. Terrible graphics but very complex avionics suite that is about 1000 pages in manual length.

"DCS: Black Shark" Enhanced Lock On engine flying the KA-50 russian chopper.... more expansions will be released. More or less a show case of technology to help the company get military contracts. The makers train A-10C pilots with same software... A-10C simulator I speak of isn't allowed to be released because it's too realistic and classified... but the fidelity is the same as their commercial software.

Fighter Ops. Yet to be released fighter sim.

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946. Best WW2 simulator.

[edit on 30/3/2009 by C0bzz]

top topics

join