It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud explosions in Hampton Roads area

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Loud explosions in Hampton Roads area

hamptonroads.com

Loud explosions, lights in sky reported from Maryland to N.C

911 dispatchers from Maryland to Hampton Roads got numerous calls Sunday night about loud explosions and lights in the sky.

There was no immediate explanation for the noise, according to the National Weather Service office in Wakefield. The Virginia Beach 911 center had numerous calls waiting just before 10 p.m. The Weather Service said reports were made from Dorchester County, Md., to the Virginia/North Carolina border.

People said they saw a streak in the sky and heard an explosion.

“It was orange, like a fireball,” said Steve Wagner, who lives in the Great Bridge area of Chesapeake and said what he saw was too close to be a shooting star.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-3-2009 by way2slo]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
There was a really loud Boom in Hampton Roads area tonight that was felt over a 150 mile radius. Some say they seen a large ball or flame. The Police scanner has been blowing up non stop for the past hour. It will be on the news im sure. Almost all my neighbors came out of their houses to see what was going on.

hamptonroads.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Hmmm. Has someone else noticed how many rocks are coming from the sky lately? Is there something bigger out there we should be worried about?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Kenneth Martin of Chesapeake's South Norfolk neighborhood said he saw what appeared to be lightning, then the sky turned blue. Then, he said, a white ball of fire shot close to the ground and appeared to burn out. He said he's sure it was a meteor.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sky turned blue? That's a little strange.

Sounds like a meteor.....

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm in VaBeach. I was outside and saw the flash. I thought it was lightning, so I came inside to check WVEC.com (news) to look at the weather on-line (to see how bad the storm might be and if I should turn off the computer). Just as I sat down, I heard the boom. It did shake the house. My daughter said the pencils on her desk rolled. The radar, btw, was clear (south VA and North NC) with a small pocket of rain in Suffolk.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Oh thats interesting for sure, Keep us updated if you here anything,
Im wondering if its some space junk but goodness who knows..

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I've seen a meteor come down in person... actually two, if you'll believe it.

Other than the color of the meteor, their eye-witness descriptions were pretty close to the two meteors I got to see...

Only the two I saw didn't produce a loud noise... so the meteor they saw must have been either traveling incredibly faster, or was larger than mine.

The color is indicative of the material the meteor is composed of.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
im in chesapeake, heard it and thought a small bomb went off. i guess residents in Va. Beach saw a fireball. wish i coulda saw it...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

I'll agree that what I saw was a blue flash. I turned to my right, which is the south (toward Chesapeake). I wish I had seen a fire ball! Man, those trees block the view! As of now, the news has said the police are out looking and have found nothing (so far). I should add, I have heard no unusual aircraft in the sky. I live near the Naval Air Station Oceana, and I've heard no jets in the sky.

Edited to say: I wanted to add that earlier (8ish) I thought I saw a star moving in the Eastern sky. I thought it was a satellite (and I still think it was a satellite). I was distracted by someone on the street, and when I looked back, I couldn't find the satellite. I see satellites in the sky now and then, so this was not a big deal for me. I do not think the boom/flash is related to the moving light. However, I wanted to report this right now so no one can say I was conveniently making up facts in case this light story gets strange. I'm guessing it was just a meteorite. I hope they find it!

[edit on 29-3-2009 by Pamie]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Hmmm. Has someone else noticed how many rocks are coming from the sky lately? Is there something bigger out there we should be worried about?

I was thinking the same exact thing. There have been a lot of meteor sightings and close calls lately. Hmmmmm

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Maybe this is why we have the distraction of the Economy all over the world. But I guess that would be a Conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Here we go again...

I literally just made a post relating to this same topic

It sounds as though this was a meteor, and since "noises" were heard, there's a good chance meteorites would have resulted. Perhaps if enough people saw it, or it was captured on film, some meteorites will be recovered.

Incidentally, it's not that uncommon to report a meteor apparently being close to the ground, but any meteorites would almost certainly be some hundreds of km away from where this was seen.

Here's what I posted earlier on the subject, including links to a few recent related events/threads here on ATS:

This question comes up quite often, and the answer is that it is possible for meteors to appear to be at very low altitude, however it's only an illusion that occurs since our eyes/brains can't judge distance well when it comes to a light source in the sky (although there may be some exceptional circumstances where this might be possible that Il'll get on to later).

We also know that the vast majority of meteors completely "burn up" (it's actually a process known as "ablation" that is responsible for the light/heat produced) at altitudes of around 80-100 km. They are usually the size of grain of sand, or perhaps rice. Brighter meteors or fireballs (a meteor that is brighter than the planet Venus), are usually a bit larger, perhaps the size of a pebble, or even a football in some cases.

Even these larger meteoroids are not very good at penetrating our atmosphere very deeply, which is a good thing since they are surprisingly common. When a meteoroid first encounters our atmosphere, it's a bit like a diver belly flopping from 100m, and that is just the "wispy" upper part of our atmosphere. Lower down, at around 40 km the atmosphere is effectively like a concrete barrier to all but the largest/hardest meteors, and these are very rare.

In perhaps 99.9999% of cases, where meteorites do make it below 40km and reach the ground, they will have ceased to be luminous for a good few minutes before reaching the ground, since the atmosphere slows them down so rapidly. In many of these cases the meteoroid is traveling so fast initially, that is simply disintegrates (most meteoroids are actually composed of quite fragile material) in a bright flash, which is what happened in at least 3 "major" events covered here on ATS in the last 6 months or so:

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada
UFO - meteor like object with sonic boom above Dallas and Austin Texas!
A few meters planetoid will hit Earth

Check out the video footage, in the first two threads especially.

Getting back to the topic at hand, this page explains in a bit more detail about why meteors can appear to be closer to the ground than they actually are.

This diagram should help you visualize what is going on:

Basically, the lower down in the sky (or closer to the horizon) a meteor appears to be, the further away it probably is. In the exceptional cases where this is not the case, and a meteor is still luminous, and less than 1km away from you, unless you're within diving distance of a bunker, that would probably be the last thing you ever saw.

It's worth mentioning what happened in 1908, when what is thought to be a fragment of a comet exploded somewhere between 5 and 10 km above Tunguska, devastating an estimated 2150 square km and knocking down 80 million trees!

Related reading, that should answer all your other questions:
Seen a swift/very swift moving light (colored or white) in the sky?

original post

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Not so about meteors not being able to travel almost parallel to the ground.

My proof is my own eyes when a meteorite came swooping down at an angle, almost parallel to the ground and then exploded into three fragments. This happened a scant 40-50 yards away from our car trave3ling the same direction.

So, meteors can and do travel very low to the ground on rare occasions.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit

I was thinking the same exact thing. There have been a lot of meteor sightings and close calls lately. Hmmmmm

Not really, although it may seem like it. In the past, many of these events would not have been so widely reported in the media, and we are also observing more as more people /cameras/telescopes are pointed to the sky.

This time of year is still the height of the fireball season, and I would have been surprised if we did not get another one or two this season.

This whole topic has been discussed at length in the discussions that took place here on ATS after similar events in the past 6 months, if you check the links I posted in my previous reply to this thread.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
So, meteors can and do travel very low to the ground on rare occasions.

It can seem that way, yes, but if you carefully read the post I made above, and follow this link which was also in that post, you'll see that it's extremely unlikely that you were anywhere near to a luminous meteor, or that it was anywhere near to the ground when it was luminous.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
WOW...
Seriously I heard some ridululously loud explosions in Los Angeles CA last night???

Weird they woke me and the girlfriend up - sounded like it would rattle bones they were so massive. (three)

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I was reading the comments on the site and came across this one:

Im glad that Im not crazy and that this made news. Im in Chesapeake= I was on my porch and a bright white light and dimmer red flashing lights were above the house. It was moving about as slow as a hovering copter but had no sound. It disappeared completely in about 4 seconds. No streak of light-Just vanished.. The loud boom came from the opposite direction about a minute later. I think it was an aircraft of some kind..

hamptonroads.com...

flashing red lights....??

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Is it possible that this was another failed rocket launch by NASA from Wallops Island, that had to be destroyed?
hamptonroads.com...

An experimental rocket carrying $17 million worth of NASA experiments was destroyed early Friday morning after it veered off course soon after launch from the Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore. Explosive charges on the nose of the rocket were detonated by NASA about 27 seconds after the 5:10 a.m. launch. The agency said most of the wreckage probably fell into the Atlantic Ocean, although a resident of Modest Town reported debris starting a fire on Assawoman Island.

Although the above incident was from 2008, it might be another one. Explosive charges are placed on many of the rockets, in case they go off course.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Is it possible that this was another failed rocket launch by NASA from Wallops Island, that had to be destroyed?
hamptonroads.com...

An experimental rocket carrying $17 million worth of NASA experiments was destroyed early Friday morning after it veered off course soon after launch from the Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore. Explosive charges on the nose of the rocket were detonated by NASA about 27 seconds after the 5:10 a.m. launch. The agency said most of the wreckage probably fell into the Atlantic Ocean, although a resident of Modest Town reported debris starting a fire on Assawoman Island.

Although the above incident was from 2008, it might be another one. Explosive charges are placed on many of the rockets, in case they go off course.

I do not think so. For the blast to be heard over than large of an area the blast had to be big, Ii mean really big like a small nuke. Just be glad this was an high attitude detonation. If it had detonated lower or hit the ground it could had been really bad. I wonder how long until the next one. Maybe chicken little was right and the sky is falling.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
i wonder what on earth it could be?

perhaps perhaps some ai V?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join