It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60mins report on lions being poisoned by insectcide, lets see if media can still have positive effec

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
60minutes did a report tonight ... www.cbsnews.com...

On how the company FMC corp www.fmcprosolutions.com... ... Ticker -fmc- is exporting an insecticide named Furadan which is banned in Europe and even heavily controlled in the US, to Africa. Knowing full well that it is being used to kill lions and other predatory animals. It has a bad reputation in the western world apparently because it is so indiscriminate in what it kills. I really see no difference between this product and cyanide or ricin, this is nothing more than a poison not an insecticide.

Looking on the companies site www.fmcprosolutions.com... there is no mention of the product Furadan.

I am all for profit and free enterprise, that is why I would not have as big a problem with this company, if Furadan sales comprised a greater than 5% revenue source. I would say more needs to be done on educating the buyers. But from the looks of it, this scumbag company does not derive nearly that much revenue from the sale of Furadan. Especially considering how cheap they said it was to buy in Africa.

I hope this 60 minutes article will help pressure the company to stop its manufacture or at least its sale to but a select group of clients who they know use it properly.

Lets see if a good media/news report can have a truly positive effect.

I also know that a beautiful thing about free enterprise is that another company can step in and make the product or bring in a new poison but at least the elimination of this product would buy some time to try to prevent the same things from happening again.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
finance.yahoo.com...

The Philadelphia-based manufacturer of a pesticide blamed by conservationists for the poisoning deaths of lions in Kenya says it's taking "aggressive action" to prevent misuse of the product, halting sales to the country and trying to buy back supplies.

Pretty sweet, good for 60 minutes. Love how they were so quick to react, good management at the company.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
That's it I'm done. I'm moving to mars this planet sucks now.

This is (*&( ridiculous. Its obvious that we don't give a flying crap in space about anything anymore. I hate my species!! I HATE YOU!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
That's it I'm done. I'm moving to mars this planet sucks now.

This is (*&( ridiculous. Its obvious that we don't give a flying crap in space about anything anymore. I hate my species!! I HATE YOU!

HAHAHA why do you hate me? I like you!

Yea when things like this happens its very aggravating, but I do give them some credit in that they "say" they are going after the problem immediately and effectively.

But in all seriousness if you figure out how to live in space let me know ill do what ever it takes.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
When I said "You" i meant the species not a specific individual. Just because I like a person does not mean the human race does not deserve a little wrath if you know what I mean. I'm sorry, I like you too.
We are stuck here with these furry critters just like every plant and animal on this planet. All we do is abuse them in our own interests. Isn't it the interest of the whole most important? The whole does not just mean humanity, it also includes everything we share this world with. It belongs to them too. Our land belongs to the wildlife first and foremost. A wolf kills a cow, collect some insurance don't kill the wolf. (I know for a fact living in Wyoming that ranchers insure their livestock...) The wolf is a natural predator after all. What do you expect? We poison fish in a lake which kills all the fish and then induces our own slow death via poisoning (which will manifest itself in the form of cancer or some other degenerative disease). Anyone notice the bees (the most important species on this planet) are disappearing? This poisoning of lions is just the tip of the iceberg to our blatant indifference for life. We cut down rain forests (our oxygen supply) when we can use hemp for paper and other, faster growing trees for lumber. All in the name of progress. We have no regard for our brothers and sisters in the animal kingdom. We deserve whatever it is we get.

top topics

join