It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla Motors Unveils the Electric Sedan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Check it out, Tesla Motors has just unveiled an all electric sedan, it looks and perfoms great, I can't wait to have one.

www.gizmag.com...

March 26, 2009 Tesla has just pulled the wraps off its eagerly awaited EV sedan - the Model S - and on first impressions, it doesn't disappoint. Gizmag's Dave Weinstein has brought us these first pics from the coal-face.

With a list price of $57,400 (and with federal tax credits bringing it below the $50K mark), the Model S moves the fledgling EV company into a much broader marketplace compared with its first offering, the $109K Tesla Roadster, shifting the company away from its boutique status.

According to Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the new sedan will cover up to 160 miles on a single charge with the option of an upgraded battery pack bringing that figure to within the region of 300 miles.

The stylish Model S is expected to reach the market in 2011 - a year that's bound to be a busy one for EVs with big players like GM also striving to get their planned EVs on the road.

See the gallery for more of Dave's pics plus official photography.... and stay tuned for further updates and analysis.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
WOW! That car is full of the awesome!

Too bad it costs almost $60,000! Good Lord!

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Electric and Hybrid cars are a total waste of time and money.

Yeah you might save some money and energy from not having to purchase fuel but you still have to plug it in don't you.

Unless you're able to source the electricity from a clean source it really isn't much cleaner than a normal petrol engine.

Then there's the batteries, I wonder what it will cost to dispose of them once they run out of usable charges?

Electric and Hybrid cars = STUPID

XL5

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Powerplants are ALOT more efficient then car engines, powerplants are also supplemented by renewable hydro/wind energy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

If electric cars are stupid and gas is much better, why don't we cut out the middle mans power lines and use our own gas generators...efficiency.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Powerplants are ALOT more efficient then car engines, powerplants are also supplemented by renewable hydro/wind energy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

If electric cars are stupid and gas is much better, why don't we cut out the middle mans power lines and use our own gas generators...efficiency.

Damn good idea:

www.solazone.com.au...

As for a proper replacement for petrol? Hydrogen

Like I said, pulling power off the grid to power a car is ridiculous.

XL5

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Making hydrogen is less efficient then charging batteries. Admit it, you like the sound of a powerful engine like I do.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by XL5

Yeah I own a V8, may as well enjoy it while it lasts...

Hydrogen technology is expensive now, but give it a few years and it will improve greatly.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Unless you're able to source the electricity from a clean source it really isn't much cleaner than a normal petrol engine.

That's definitely a problem down in the United States, and it's high time they updated their grid!

Where I am in Ontario, it's mostly nuclear and hydro-electric dams that generate our electricity. So we could use this vehicle without feeling guilty about where our electricity is coming from.

The excess electricity generated here in Ontario and over in Quebec is sold off to the US. Their eastern seaboard makes us some serious cash.

If they would finally get around to updating their technology, 1: They wouldn't have to pay us so much for their electricity, and 2: You could get rid of all those ridiculous coal and oil plants and not have to worry about how much garbage has been pumped into the atmosphere.

Looking at how much coal the US uses for energy, it amazes me most cities in the US can still see sky. Yes, natural gas is second after coal, and right after that is crude oil... wow.
To me this is just mind boggling... but then, different countries, different standards of living.

Basically, for Canada at least, electric vehicles are looking very feasible.
Electric motors will turn over regardless of temperature, and given that most cities in Canada already have plugs available everywhere you can park for block heaters, finding a plug to charge with won't be an issue.
Our grid is no-where near max capacity, and our energy production is already geared toward running green.
So lets get these things over here pronto!

But no, I have to disagree with hydrogen. It takes WAY too much energy to electrolyze it from water for it to be efficient in the long run.
You get far more efficiency from a battery system.

And batteries are making some great headway in environmentally safe disposal. I haven't used a battery myself that had mercury in it for a few years now.

As for the car we're all talking about, wow, is that ever a beautiful car. Very nice curves, and it still pulls off the "I mean business" look.
Top end gets 160 miles per charge.

It will take some time before the price comes down, there aren't many companies to compete with at the moment, and the vehicles are still marketed to the upper-middle and upper classes.

But all good things come to those who are patient.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Are you sure it takes WAY too much energy to electrolyze water?

Might want check these links out.

8000% to the input..
lenr-canr.org...

Ravi's wfc.
www.oupower.com...
www.youtube.com...

Dr.Stiffler's setup.
23v with less than 10mA's..
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

I don't see how people say hydrogen isn't viable. Bob Lazar has only been cruising around in his v8 hydrogen corvette for 30 years.. His electrolyzer is powered by solar, meaning he uses no energy from the grid. That's about as clean as it gets.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Freezer]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Freezer

I don't know much about fringe scientists, my field relies on me working with what's available in the commercial world.

Keeping it locked up in someones head or in research papers does us no good.

If "bob lazar" puts it into production, then I'll add it to the list of feasible energy production. Until then, I can't use it, so it's of no use to me.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Fringe scientists seems to imply a negative, in my experience these are actually very down to earth people, trying to come up with real world applications. I actually purchased a couple of Stifflers boards, but only a limited amount were made. The circuit is actually available in several places for people to build and see for themselves if it does what it does. I tried it, and it does what is claimed. I can only imagine this done on a large scale.

I'm 100% sure if 1 guy can develop a working system, a massive company such as gm could've built a working model 20 years ago, which is 10x more efficient. They have all the best equipment, and qualified personnel to do it up a lot better than Lazar or anyone else, with the exception of the military. They don't for reason, and the only way they would, will be kicking and screaming. This signals an end to their obscene profits, and they know it.

It will have to be the "garage" inventor who brings things like this onto the market, if they are allowed to do so. Converting water into a fuel with free solar energy somehow doesn't sit well with the oil mongers. I haven't seen any reason so far why this shouldn't work perfectly well. Look at this Tesla car in this thread..Think gm or others couldn't have come up with something better? Sure they could, but that wouldn't make as much money. The point is we can't wait for them to bring this to us. We have to bring it to them, and shove it in their face.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I like everything about it except that in order to keep it moving you have to constantly rub a balloon on your hair.

new topics

top topics

join