It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vast Spy System Loots Computers in 103 Countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Vast Spy System Loots Computers in 103 Countries

www.nytimes.com

A vast electronic spying operation has infiltrated computers and has stolen documents from hundreds of government and private offices around the world

the researchers said that the system was being controlled from computers based almost exclusively in China, but that they could not say conclusively that the Chinese government was involved.

It can, for example, turn on the camera and audio-recording functions of an infected computer, enabling monitors to see and hear what goes on in a room
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I guess it's time to always assume that nothing is really secure, that's probably your safest bet.

But this is getting fairly scary now.

they can turn on your camera and audio-recording, they can see and hear what's going on in your room, they can use your webcam to see you, they can turn on your cellphone's microphone, etc... etc.....

This is ridiculous now

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
That is what we get for having all of our electronics made in China. The back door into computers made in China has even been talked about here on ATS. The FBI even made a statement about on the news a while back. And now it has happened. When will people learn?

[edit on 3/28/2009 by fixer1967]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

they can turn on your camera and audio-recording, they can see and hear what's going on in your room, they can use your webcam to see you, they can turn on your cellphone's microphone, etc... etc.....

All they would see is a fat nude guy.

I keep nothing of any use on my computer for anyone that hacks my computer.

My real name is not even on my computer.
No bank info. No SS#. And i use Tor just to make it harder to track where i am.

i never have trusted the internet and i have to many friends the do IT work for the government that have warned me about all the tricks they have found being used.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
One thing I do not understand, I have worked with and on computer systems sense 1978, and they can be made secure. Why do they and are they left open!

I know some is done just because they where not paying attention to there system, but not all.
I've going into places and they know they are not secure and I get a statement like who would want what we have?
And when they are broken into then the scream foul.

One thing is , companies and this country needs to get there systems locked down and keep it that way then we would not have that issue.
Also it does not take that much to trace back to who is doing this.
I do not know but this is nuts.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

wait.....
You post on ATS in the nude?

but.........whyyyyy???????

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hack this:

Turning on web cams and microphones is nothing new. Anyone ever watch "The Sopranos"? In one episode, Tony is concerned about the FBI listening in on their conversations via a laptop in the room and asks for it to be switched off.

There are a couple of viruses released recently that do this, too.

Mobile phones require software to be downloaded and installed. This part can't be done remotely.

If you're that concerned, unplug them. Can't access what isn't connected.
Switch your computer off at the mains when you're not using it. Some systems have a Wake On LAN function that can be activated via the internet. If it's off, it can't be hacked.

For the über paranoid: have one system for surfing the 'net, and another locked in faraday cage, inside a strong room, that is completely disconnected from the outside world and that you only power up for the duration you're using it. For extra safety, use a generator to get power to it, not mains.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I just assume anyone can see hear and do what they want-anywhere regardless....

But damn them if they do and I don't want them too

The camera thing is old news-I don't keep one; if I did it woud be covered or unplugged when not in use.

Ironically, the mormons ...would always make a big stink about closing the cabinet on the tv in their home. (there were some mormons satelighting our household in my youth) It was suspicious. And that made me wonder about what really goes on in tv land.

I wouldn't be surprised if each tv has a code that routes to each cable address-to each name, and on to each individual, and that some creepy organization taps into a reverse camera behind the screen at will.

Stranger things could happen.

new topics

top topics

join