It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any fossils of Centaurs ever found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Have there been any centaur fossils found? I mean the half man half horse beasts. Could these have been anunnaki genetic experiments in creating a warrior class of humans. It is said in the legends of centaurs that they were a very belligerent people.

Any ideas on this?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KromeDragon

Well, it have been rumoured it has. Mythology-expert Alexander Guryev claims that such remains have been found, but it has not been verified, unforunately.

You are however not allone in pondering the idea if ancient Chimeras and various creatures was a result of Bioengineering. I can recommend this thread for you: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There was a tale, well I was about 7 years old, just a junior
and my father and I were exploring some foothills in Greece.

I loved Greece, with it's Sandy beaches and it's singing youths.
I used to plead with my father... "tell me more, tell me more,
did you get very far?"
At the time he was working for a European museum and his
greatest interest was Myths and legends.

After checking a huge cavern for any broken pottery and the
like, we made our way to a group of olive and tall spruce trees.
There he discovered a skeleton, it was humanoid and at first, we
thought the human had been riding a horse, as a equine-like skeleton
lay there too.

But we never found the shoulder bones, the neck or the skull, so
either it was a Centaur or Luca Brazzi had been vacationing in the
area.

There's some other things to this story, but when he named me after
the dog, I refused to discuss his work any further.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Haven't been on ATs for a while, so I missed this one, but I remember reports from a few years ago of their being large burial mounds in the US and I think Slavic or Ukraine countries being found to contain 'unnatural skeletons', that they originally thought were a hoax themselves. I guess they thought the people were buried with their horses (since I believe mongols did this, correct me if I'm wrong).

Its like those burial mounds that supposedly contained the larger than natural humans in the US too, the Indians always said they knew the mounds to contain giants and other strange sights.

As to whether either is completely true, since they have been hoaxed before in pictures, I don't know,I did try and find the site I was hoping to find again for you, but it seems to have been taken down or vanished.

The scholar in me suggests it was a myth created by people who had never seen people so integrated with their mounts in war, but the other voices in my head suggest that most people know what horses are and you can clearly see the legs of riders, so there is SOME reason for people to have 'made up' these fantastical beasts.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ejsaunders

The scholar in me suggests it was a myth created by people who had never seen people so integrated with their mounts in war, but the other voices in my head suggest that most people know what horses are and you can clearly see the legs of riders, so there is SOME reason for people to have 'made up' these fantastical beasts.

I used to think this also I mean how could a human within their mind mistake a horse and a man riding one as a single creature. Although about 4 years ago there was an interesting documentary series, completely forget the name of it but there was an interesting part in it with a story about a boy (although it could have been a man latter in life) who was brought up in early Muslim culture (i think it was around the mid 1800's might have been latter) he was at one point taken to an art gallery where he was shown a huge (about 12 foot by 12 foot sqaure) western style painting of an Arab king riding a rearing horse, it was fairly realistic as most portraits of that time where interestingly it was found he had no ability to 'see' what the image was, even when told what he was seeing he couldnt see it in the image. Complete inability to interpret what he saw.

This was attributed to the fact that in Muslim culture all form sort art that depicts people places or things are disallowed since its considered a form of idol worship, hence the reason Islamic art is as it is, mostly geometric forms and patterns (thats just me paraphrasing what i know, since I could be wrong on a few things but that was it in short).

So it isnt to far fetched to believe that a person or culture with a similar sort of situation could even if they know what horses are mistake a man on a horse as a single creature.

Its hard to get our heads around now I know but hey. To the OPs question I personally dont believe centaurs at any time existed. The thing with alot of ancient cultures is their mythical beasts where regularly hogpoggs of known animals and people it was more a fusion of metaphors or traits than a true visual representation (satyrs as an example where lusty wanton, and often violent things which when you think of the imagery of a man and a goat makes sense, man and beast, civil and uncivil combined) . I mean when you look at creatures like the Hecatonchires giant beings with 50 heads and 100 arms, just imposable in reality, not all mythology has a basis in reality.

Although I would most likely put my money on Cyclopian humaniods as being in some way true.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
there is a theory that the very ideas of creatures like centaurs come from ancients discovering fossils and simply misinterpreting them

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well according to Pravda, many centaur skeletons have been found...

Recent ATS thread

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well, I'm going to say that it's genetically impossible. Anatomically impossible. And agree that the original accounts were based on misinterpreted fossils.

But for those who want some interesting tidbits-

The horse genome has 32 pairs of chromosomes and contains about the same amount of DNA as the human genome (three billion base pairs). The horse genome appears to include vast regions of DNA that do not code for genes, as does the human genome.

One of the most interesting horse chromosomes is 22. It is nearly identical to human chromosome 20 and part of mouse chromosome 2. These three regions not only share most of the same genes, but the genes also appear in the same order among all three species.

www.genomenewsnetwork.org...

Horsemanmouse? Manbearpig?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
You just don't see anything in nature that's got six limbs and isn't an insect or crustacean. Maybe there's some exception somewhere, but I'm not aware of any vertebrate that's ever had more than four limbs, so a centaur, with its four legs and two arms, is just not something that's likely to have ever evolved on our planet.

I get the feeling some people lack any understanding of basic concepts such as this, and that fuels their speculation. I'm not accusing anybody here, mind you, but it just seems odd that nobody brings it up when discussing whether such creatures could have existed.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It should be noted that horses have different skin to humans. Name me a species with different skin types? All animals have one type of skin. Also a centaur would have 6 limbs and so why the hell it would eveolve into a horse with a mans top half? It makes no sense at all.The only way it I can think of is an operation. Fusing a mans top half onto an animals. But this seems impossible. Obviously a man on a horse mistaken for 1 being. In the past many men spent more time atop a horse than on foot. A way of seeing a different culture. After all if you are on ahorse all day it is a symbiotic relationship. Just not really one being.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by werewolf99
It should be noted that horses have different skin to humans. Name me a species with different skin types? All animals have one type of skin. Also a centaur would have 6 limbs and so why the hell it would eveolve into a horse with a mans top half? It makes no sense at all.The only way it I can think of is an operation. Fusing a mans top half onto an animals. But this seems impossible. Obviously a man on a horse mistaken for 1 being. In the past many men spent more time atop a horse than on foot. A way of seeing a different culture. After all if you are on ahorse all day it is a symbiotic relationship. Just not really one being.

Yup. The only possible explanation is alien genetic manipulation.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I think you've been spending WAY to much time in the internet swirl. "Centaurs"?!?!?!?!?!? go do something productive. the thing about the internet is theres alot of info out there. People create realities by connecting things and making things up. but really???... Centaurs???

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tzdub

I think you've been spending WAY to much time in the internet swirl. "Centaurs"?!?!?!?!?!? go do something productive. the thing about the internet is theres alot of info out there. People create realities by connecting things and making things up. but really???... Centaurs???

People didn't believed n Fauns until 1950 when people started reporting The Goatman of Maryland and The Shepman, something like that. The last thing i would consider would be alien genetic manipulation or beings like Djinns from other planes of existence. Whomever, based on my terrifying encounters, i believe in beings like Fauns.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
What exactly would this thing eat?

A horse has to eat a LOT of food - it's pretty bulky, lots of caloric intake needed. If you've got a horse body to run, you'd have to take in enough nutrition for it. A human mouth/gut likely wouldn't be able to fuel a horse carcass.

Also, consider lungs - a horse has a big mouth, big windpipe, big nares, to feed the two big lungs down in the horse part - only now you've got human lungs in the human torso part...

So basically, by putting a human torso on a horse, you've doubled up all the organs, but only have outside connections to the human part - what hooks where? Do the horse lungs hook to the mouth? If so, what's in the human chest? You've got a big gut section on the horse, and the rectum's on the horse, but what feeds the horse gut? Human poop?

No, it never ever happened. No centaur for you.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronMan
"tell me more, tell me more,
did you get very far?"

Whilst auditioning for grease ?
sorry couldn't resist.

The whole idea of centaurs seems wrong , it looks like they would have to use a lot of upperbody muscle just to remain upright.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IronMan

Nice one.
Great Indie reference. lol

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I suppose these things come with ancient people having no idea of anatomy. How the hell would a man horse cross have 6 limbs. I have no doubt however that there will still be sightings. However sightings of things usually seems to be driven by television and films. If something appears on a popular film it will then be sighted? In huge numbers. I suppose these things come out of religion and beliefs. Beliefs are powerful things.

new topics

top topics

join