It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you hate about America?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I hate silly bickering and how easily distracted we are by manufactured non-issues. But that's a human condition, not an American condition...

I hate the fact that Americans seem to be the most willfully blind, apothetic and hypocritical people on earth. If we were truly concerned and engaged, we would not have reporters run amok in big newsrooms spreading government propoganda and arrogant lawbreakers running the show.

Beyond that, I love America. I love the ideals we supposedly stand for. And I love the generous spirit that so many Americans do share. Anything else I "hate" about America, isn't America's fault, per se. Most of what we hate in life falls into the realm of our own personal responsibility.

America can be a profoundly great land to be alive in.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
East coast.. for the most part I'd have to agree with you that most problems are self imposed.. and the USA does have a serious problem with apathy.

As for the universities being "liberal breeding grounds" that is a fascinating thought. That may even merit a study... is liberal thought a direct correlation of more education? Is it a bad thing to want to learn to think for yourself with the greatest amount of information to base that opinion on?

Blue girl- that really sucks for the history. I need to head your way soon, I was doing some research on Greek up to Medieval theater. Spain has some great theaters, obviously Italy.. but England has more of a tradition of the play carts that traveled from city to city in that time... I wanted to trace out some of the paths they took depending on the time of year.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrBunny
As for the universities being "liberal breeding grounds" that is a fascinating thought. That may even merit a study... is liberal thought a direct correlation of more education? Is it a bad thing to want to learn to think for yourself with the greatest amount of information to base that opinion on?

I'm not so sure it's just the "knowledge" that makes college campus' primarily liberal. A lot of has to due with the students being poor as hell while they are there. If a study was done, I would assume that quite a few of these liberal students wouldn't be so liberal down the road after they secured a job and started raising a family. For some reason a lot of college professors seem to be liberal thinking in nature though, that still throws me for a loop. Who knows, maybe a study should be done on this. I don't have the time to do this though as I'm still trying to get out of college.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
That’s more a study for my wife to so... Psych student.... thought she is doing forensic psych.. so her studies would be more like how many students are likely to become criminals...

The problems I have with the whole liberal/conservative thing is that I like ideas of both... socially liberal but financially conservative. I have never understood why that is such a difficult thing for people to understand.

Basically I want to keep the money I earned understanding there is a need for taxes as long as it is used wisely (in my opinion that means alot of protection for nature and natural resources) and I want the government and religion to stay out of my personal business.

Is that really asking too much?

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I love my country.

I love the fact that I can own property that's mine and can't be taken away from me. (Until the local government decides a company could make more profit for them there.)

I love the fact that I actually make a difference by voting. (Except when the voting machines get pre-set vote counts entered into them.)

I love the fact that as a photographer, I can freely photograph in public places. (Except near government buildings, banks, certain tall skyscrapers, in trains, airports, etc...)

I love the fact that I can travel freely without being tracked. (Except for when a policeman sees my license plate or when I have to show my ID at an airport, bus or train station.)

I love the fact that this is a free country with a small government that doesn't meddle in the personal affairs of its citizens. (Except for when I'm required by law to wear a seatbelt or helmet, disallowed from using drugs deemed illegal and banned from or strictly controlled in homeschooling my children in some states. Oh, and marriage licenses. This one is a long list that could go on for pages.)

I love my country!

Disclaimer: I always wear a seatbelt and never have and never will do drugs. This is, however, by personal choice and I do not believe the government should tell me what to do.

[edit on 3-1-2006 by LoganCale]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
What I love about America is the fact that you can sit next to the railroad tracks for hours and hours and not be harrassed as to why you are there. I love the fact that we have many ways to get around. Also, I love the fact that you have many places to see.

I hate the fact that we have a complete idiot for President. I also hate the fact that we have a walking heart attack for Vice President.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I hate taxes. Everytime I turn around someone wants more of MY money.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
i hate the war on drugs.....legalize the # already...i don't like having people shoot at each other...sorry, i happen to be against stupid violence....mayb eyou aren't.....but i don't see the point......stop being such nazis....

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but here goes.....

As with many others, I really don't like the word "hate", so I would rather use "dislike" instead.

I dislike the fact that America is suspicious of its intellectuals. Just because someone knows something very well doesn't mean that they are "liberal". We should value our thinkers as paving the way for new and diverse ways of thought.

I dislike the fact that critical thinking is not taught in schools more in America. Students in the United States need to learn how to separate fact from fiction. They need to learn that the media may report the news, but not always tell the truth. American learners need to debate a bit more and to look at current events with a jaundiced eye.

I dislike Americans who only subscribe singularly to what the "party leaders" tell them to say. They can only repeat what the politicians tell you ad nauseum until they are blue in the face. Nothing more. When repeating those things and trying to convince others to their side, do they ever truly think about what they are saying? This goes for both sides of the political spectrum.

I dislike the fact that our rights are being called into question as a country. Forget the lip service about "freedom isn't free". The main question is: are we willing to sacrifice that freedom and live in a "fascist" government all in the name of safety? Are we willing to give up our First and Fourth Amendment rights? Are we willing to call the authorities on our families and our neighbors if they deviate from the "party line"? That's what it is coming down to.

And...on a lighter note...I dislike the fact that March Madness only happens one time a year. I would much like it if college basketball would air all year around. After the championships...silence happens....*sigh*

[edit on 7-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It would probably be easier to list the things that I like about America. That list is definitely shorter.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Gotta agree with the other posters here, the press is far too left-wing. It is simply annoying for a country that is a democracy and believes in freedom of speech to just give a perspective from the left most of the time. It will destroy everything that has made America great.

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join