It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenbriar Hotel (secret gov. hideaway) files bankruptcy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Posh Greenbriar Seeks Bankrupcy

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The historic Greenbrier resort, which has gone from hosting presidents and royalty to posting losses, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Thursday and unveiled a plan to sell itself to hotel giant Marriott International Inc. for up to $130 million.

And for the real kicker for those who don't already know....

The 6,500-acre resort in southeastern West Virginia with 721 rooms also is the site of a once-secret Cold War bunker built to house Congress in case of a nuclear attack.

"Once-secret" is the key here....have a look see:

The Ultimate Congressional Hideaway

Want to see pictures? Here you go....

Pictures and tour

So here's the million dollar question.....if the government owns part of the property, how the HECK can they get away with filing bankruptcy, and how does the Marriott fit into all this?

I smell more fish....

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Oh no....

Where are they gonna hide now when all hell breaks loose.

:shk:

Just goes to show that even government bunkers and hide-aways aren't safe from this economic crisis.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by emeraldzeus

Gov doesn't own any of the property, a private owner owned the property. The Gov built the hide out there during the Cold War, I believe leasing it from the owners. I don't believe they ever owned any of the land.

Being a private owner they can file for bankruptcy, the bunker is no longer used and is now a tourist attraction... Marriot fits in because they probably think they can turn it around and make some money.

Nothing fishy imo.

History Channel did an episode on the old place couple years ago.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
That sucks. Been there two or three times. Did a small tour and all that. It's somewhat freaky, but kinda boring as I don't like tours lol. Also, too young to really remember any of it.

Yeah, at least someone's buying it.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by tinfoilman]

top topics

join