It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

was life on Mars destroyed by a nuclear war

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriskaos
a large enough atomic explosion would wisk the exsisting atmosphere and create a very thin on[e]

Where would the existing atmosphere be wisked away to?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by shorty
I would like to say thank you for the intrest in my post. I have read the stargate conspricy and if you wish to lern about Temples theory i would serjest you buy his book The Sirius Mystery.

Is that the same 'The Sirius Mystery' that makes many incorrect/cannot be substantiated statements about the dogons?

A thread on ATS already: www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.debunker.com...
skepdic.com...
www.ufoevidence.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

a large enough atomic explosion would wisk the exsisting atmosphere and create a very thin on[e]

JJ,
I don't think the atmosphere was wisked away at all. I believe the Martians packaged it and brought it to Earth when they emigrated here as Shorty posted. I mean, after all, that makes about as much sense as believing there was once intelligent life on Mars that destroyed itself through a nuclear holocaust and came to Earth to jump start our civilization.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Right OK. There may be a face and pyramids on Mars. There might even be things on earth looking alike. And also there might also be a whole load of "proofs" that life existed there before. Then???

Do you really believe that any civilization able to realize that they were in trouble, able to guess a land point, able to get there, and so on..., would land here on earth without a trace of their past? They'd have brought computers or phones or... We'd have found some traces about that now... Come on...

Oh OK, you're a conspirationist... They found and didn't tell us, right?

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Makes for a great story, but we don't even have data yet that supports the theory that intelligent life ever existed on mars.

Even if there was life on mars and they migrated to earth, coming up with the nuclear war idea is pretty far fetched. Why not the sun cooled too much or the atmosphere deteriorated naturally somehow?

Originally posted by Nephilim__
Heres my 2 cents about the nuclear war theory. Well depending on the technology they had and what type of nuclear explosive was used there would still be traces of it on the planet itself. Now i dont know if this has been tested so i cant say for sure if its true or false but i was looking at some stuff and it said that with the technology we use today there are traces that have a half life of at least 5000 years.

Not that I buy into the nuclear war theory, but I don't remember anyone using a timeline here. How can you speculate about traces having a half life when as far as you know the war was a several hundred thousand years ago? Well maybe not that long, but with no time line it could have been long enough ago so as not to leave a trace - right?

Originally posted by Mr No Onet
Could the changes in the "face" from 1976 til now be due to ersosion and not picture resolution? Picture B sure looks like a broken down version of picture A. Just a thought.

Your kidding right? So, you buy into the theory that the face was created by intelligent beings many thousands of years ago, but from 1976 til now it suddenly becomes eroded away in less then thirty years?

Of course we don't know if the face was formed by intelligent life or just natural erosion - without better proof we have to go with erosion. No scientist is going to put his name on "the aliens carved the face theory" unless we take a trip there and have some clear proof.

Well let me take a wild guess at that one- space?

We are constantly checking our own atmosphere to make sure we're not losing too much of anything, so that leads me to believe that it's possible we could lose it if we don't take care of it.

Originally posted by SpookyVince

Do you really believe that any civilization able to realize that they were in trouble, able to guess a land point, able to get there, and so on..., would land here on earth without a trace of their past? They'd have brought computers or phones or... We'd have found some traces about that now... Come on...

Again I'm not saying I buy into any of this stuff, but if sheet was going to hit the fan here and you had to go live in a cave for a few years would you bring your electric toaster with you? How about your CD collection? While you could bring a generator along with fuel & all your tech stuff what do you do when there's no more fuel. Are you going to start a foundry so you can make tools to pump oil out of the ground & build a refinery?

So even if you brought a few things with no way to repair or replace them eventually they end up in the bone yard. Ever drive by an old farm with 50 year old trucks sitting in the field rusting away, do you think you could find them after 10 thousand years or will that new paint protect them forever?

What I'm getting at here is it could be a Robinson Crusoe type story.

There's many ways for things to disappear naturally or by other means especially over long periods of time.

Besides some people don't bring their radios when they go to the beach.

Also, mars has a carbon dioxide atmosphere. In order for life forms to come from Mars to here, they would have to genetically engineer themselves, or wear space suits to be able to breath the corrosive oxygen atmosphere.

Was the earths atmosphere always the way it is now? How about Mars? The easy answer is no. At one time none of us could survive here on earth. Some people even say we originated from the ocean. Do you think we had scuba gear when we were there or did we just wear watersuits until we genetically modified ourselves to breath air. Yes, of course I'm kidding, but just to prove the point that without any facts your dubunk argument is no more valid then his post.

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by outsider]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
O.K LISTEN PLEASE FOR THE LAST TIME ITS A THEORY IN A VERY EARLY STAGE AND I JUST WONDERD IF ANYONE ELSE THOUGHT IT COULD BE POSSIBLE. I have just found out that the effect of the raditation would where off after about 1000 2000 years.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I believe that after a nuclear war broke out on Mars. The surviving Martian race emigrated to the Earth, building the Pyramids and Sphinx to represent the features on mars so that when we were intelligent enough we might discover that there was once a thriving powerful E.T race on mars.

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by cassini]

Do I detect a change here? The first post says "I believe that after a nuclear war.....". Sounds pretty decisive.

In your last post you shouted:

"O.K LISTEN PLEASE FOR THE LAST TIME ITS A THEORY IN A VERY EARLY STAGE AND I JUST WONDERD IF ANYONE ELSE THOUGHT IT COULD BE POSSIBLE"

What happened? We've gone from a belief to an early stage theory. I stilll waqnt to know who the researchers are.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Well let me take a wild guess at that one- space?

Were constantly checking our own atmosphere to make sure were not losing too much of anything, so that leads me to believe that it's possible we could lose it if we don't take care of it.

We actually aren't constantly checking our own atmosphere for the loss of atmosphere. Ozone gets destroyed by CFCs and other such molecules which break the bonds of O2 molecules and join with one of those oxygen molecules. This causes the molecule to become heavier, causing it to fall closer to the earth. O2 is what prevents a lot of radiation coming from the sun to hit the surface of the planet. We need to monitor this to let people know about high cancer risk areas of the globe.

I've not heard about anyone monitoring our atmosphere to make sure it wasn't being sent into space. If this is being done, please send me a link, I'd be interested to read about the theory behind it, and what we could do if we were to lose our atmosphere.

As for our atmosphere being any different, yes, according to current theories about our planet's development, and theories of evolution, our planet did once have a carbon dioxide atmosphere. However, according to current models, it was about 1.3 billion years ago that the atmosphere had been converted into oxygen by the plant life (algae and the like). However, Egyptian society was around only 5000 years ago. To use Earth as a model to defend this doesn't work, it took millions of years to change the atmosphere to have more oxygen in it.

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense

What happened? We've gone from a belief to an early stage theory. I stilll waqnt to know who the researchers are.

That's the point of ATS. We are here to learn, and to refuse to change your mind on something because you had already taken a position would be inviting ignorance.

Shorty!

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

O.K LISTEN PLEASE FOR THE LAST TIME ITS A THEORY IN A VERY EARLY STAGE AND I JUST WONDERD IF ANYONE ELSE THOUGHT IT COULD BE POSSIBLE.

Yes, anything is possible until proven otherwise. Problem is your theory requires many unproven theorys for people to believe before they can begin to touch your theory. Such as not only did mars support life, but mars supported intelligent life, the intelligent life was us, we destroyed Mars, we left mars, we came here and forgot where we came from etc. There are many givens with out any of the givens even proved yet it leaves allot of room for debunkers to attack.

You might want to look at it this way. Though some of them seem to me making fun of you, remember they are just helping you refine you ideas so continue to use them as extra processing power.

Nothing wrong with speculation & theorys as long as you don't present it as anything else.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

We actually aren't constantly checking our own atmosphere for the loss of ozone. Ozone gets destroyed by CFCs and other such molecules which break the bonds of O2 molecules and join with one of those oxygen molecules. This causes the molecule to become heavier, causing it to fall closer to the earth. O2 is what prevents a lot of radiation coming from the sun to hit the surface of the planet. We need to monitor this to let people know about high cancer risk areas of the globe.

You apparently have a better grasp on the subject then I, but then I don't understand why you can say in one sentence, "we don't check the atmosphere for the loss of ozone" and in the other you note "we monitor the ozone level to let people know about high cancer risk areas".

Maybe checking the atmosphere isn't the technically correct language, but to me checking it means the same as monitoring it.

As for our atmosphere being any different, yes, according to current theories about our planet's development, and theories of evolution, our planet did once have a carbon dioxide atmosphere. However, according to current models, it was about 1.3 billion years ago that the atmosphere had been converted into oxygen by the plant life (algae and the like).

While I agree my thought was unscientific and I didn't check sources and I was only taking a quick stab at it. My thought was the earth is a planet and mars is a planet. They both have atmospheres. They are both subject to changes over time. They both have atmospheres and some day they both will have more, less, or none. Again I'm not an expert on the subject, but my point was it has changed, and it is constantly changing and someday there may well be none. When it has none where will it have gone? Space - Duh. Kind of like where does the water go when you open the plug on the tub. Well I'm not a plumber but...

However, Egyptian society was around only 5000 years ago. To use Earth as a model to defend this doesn't work, it took millions of years to change the atmosphere to have more oxygen in it.

There's still disagreement among the experts as to the timeline of when the pyrimids were actually built. Some say 5000 years & some say 10,000 years. No, I'm not an expert, but if they can't even agree that leaves that open to speculation. Still though unless someone has data on what the Mars atmosphere was at that unknown point in time guessing that creatures that lived on mars couldn't live on earth is just that a guess.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well...
IF there was an intelligent enough race running about on Mars, and IF they had a nuclear war, I'm supprised the only evidence left are a couple of crap looking faces on tops of pyramids.
WHAT did they make the nukes from? Sandy Cement?

Besides, the closest enhabitable planet to Mars is here, so that meens were the offspring of some suicidel aliens (kinda figures). BUT....the big problem with that theory is, if we are the offspring of some Nuclear Nutters, how come we only reinvented the bomb 60yrs or so back. Why wait a millenia? Kind of stupid to leave all the designs for flashy space ships, and super weapons back home.

"Oh quick honey, lets go over to that planet, leave the stuff here, we wont need it. Lets just forget this war ever happend and go back to building pyramids."

Dosn't really add up does it.

If we find anything on Mars other than dirt, it will be the odd little microbe we can all go "Awww" at, and thats about it.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
You apparently have a better grasp on the subject then I, but then I don't understand why you can say in one sentence, "we don't check the atmosphere for the loss of ozone" and in the other you note "we monitor the ozone level to let people know about high cancer risk areas".

That was actually a typo, I ment to say atmosphere, sorry! Editing my post right now

As for our atmosphere being any different, yes, according to current theories about our planet's development, and theories of evolution, our planet did once have a carbon dioxide atmosphere. However, according to current models, it was about 1.3 billion years ago that the atmosphere had been converted into oxygen by the plant life (algae and the like).

While I agree my thought was unscientific and I didn't check sources and I was only taking a quick stab at it. My thought was the earth is a planet and mars is a planet. They both have atmospheres. They are both subject to changes over time. They both have atmospheres and some day they both will have more, less, or none. Again I'm not an expert on the subject, but my point was it has changed, and it is constantly changing and someday there may well be none. When it has none where will it have gone? Space - Duh. Kind of like where does the water go when you open the plug on the tub. Well I'm not a plumber but...

I knew where whoever had posted that was going to go with it, that it was wisked away into space. The problem with that arguement is that you would need to provide the atmosphere universally (meaning all across the whole planet at the same time) with an escape velocity to not only blow it off the planet, but to blow it so far gravity wouldn't pull it back. Also, mars is a lot smaller then the Earth is, and cannot hold as much atmosphere as earth does gravitationally. I suspect, as do many scientists, that the density of atmosphere on Mars is about what it has been for a very long while (post creation of the planet), though it's makeups may have changed over time.

There's still disagreement among the experts as to the timeline of when the pyrimids were actually built. Some say 5000 years & some say 10,000 years. No, I'm not an expert, but if they can't even agree that leaves that open to speculation. Still though unless someone has data on what the Mars atmosphere was at that unknown point in time guessing that creatures that lived on mars couldn't live on earth is just that a guess.

Not really a guess, but a hypothesis. We only have Earth and our solar system as a model to use for planetary development. From all of our scientific knowlege attained through observation, it is highly unlikely that a planet's atmosphere could be converted into something so radically different in such a short period of time, be it 5000 or 10000 years. 10000, geologically speaking, is a drop of water in the ocean.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
(...)

Again I'm not saying I buy into any of this stuff, but if sheet was going to hit the fan here and you had to go live in a cave for a few years would you bring your electric toaster with you? How about your CD collection? While you could bring a generator along with fuel & all your tech stuff what do you do when there's no more fuel. Are you going to start a foundry so you can make tools to pump oil out of the ground & build a refinery?

So even if you brought a few things with no way to repair or replace them eventually they end up in the bone yard. Ever drive by an old farm with 50 year old trucks sitting in the field rusting away, do you think you could find them after 10 thousand years or will that new paint protect them forever?
(...)

I'm not saying that a couple of guys came here with a radio. A huge load of them would have been here with something to start with, and not dust and stones and bones and blood to paint with. Think about what you say. There would be some traces of that, would it only be legends. The only legends here on earth about people out from another world are about ghosts or visitors, but not ancestors. If any martian ever came to earth, it would have found a populated world. If any martian lived before any earthling, it never was able to come here. If we live long enough, we might find it out. And then, OK, maybe we'll find out that I'm wrong, but I greatly doubt it.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
what i meant by i belive i ment assumeing that the first paragraph was correct i would belive that the course action would be to go earth blah blah you no not that i belived i was correct i thought i would clear that up for you.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

what i meant by i belive i ment assumeing that the first paragraph was correct i would belive that the course action would be to go earth blah blah you no not that i belived i was correct i thought i would clear that up for you.
Interesting post Shorty...I gotta say though...I feel civilization would be far more advanced today if our ancestors were escapees from a nuclear winter ravaged Mars.

Cool theory, keep them coming.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The problem with that arguement is that you would need to provide the atmosphere universally (meaning all across the whole planet at the same time) with an escape velocity to not only blow it off the planet, but to blow it so far gravity wouldn't pull it back.

Cool man I never thought this silly thread would lead to me learning something new. I had never heard or thought about gravity keeping the atmosphere in place. Maybe shows how little I know on the subject, I had always thought of the atmosphere more like a frigile bubble - thinking it could have a leak etc. I guess I should say thanks for the new perspective.

Also, mars is a lot smaller then the Earth is, and cannot hold as much atmosphere as earth does gravitationally. I suspect, as do many scientists, that the density of atmosphere on Mars is about what it has been for a very long while (post creation of the planet), though it's makeups may have changed over time.

I assume that the " I suspect, as do many scientists" portion of your statement means that you have credentials similiar or equal to the other scientists you seem to include with your hypothesis (best educated guess). While your credentials definately give you and your colleagues ideas more merit then laymen like myself, the fact that you use the word suspect really still means you don't know for sure.

I'm not saying that a couple of guys came here with a radio. A huge load of them would have been here with something to start with, and not dust and stones and bones and blood to paint with. Think about what you say. There would be some traces of that, would it only be legends. The only legends here on earth about people out from another world are about ghosts or visitors, but not ancestors. If any martian ever came to earth, it would have found a populated world. If any martian lived before any earthling, it never was able to come here. If we live long enough, we might find it out. And then, OK, maybe we'll find out that I'm wrong, but I greatly doubt it.

Nobody ever said it was a couple guys or a few thousand. I don't find it that hard to believe that civilizations can completely dissapear. They even have a seperate forum for discussing lost civilizations here. We have plenty of remnants of old civilations that no longer exists in the jungles & the bottom of the ocean. Though we are finding them now by the use of satellite images & underwater mapping gear we don't really know how long it would take for all traces of their existence to wash away.

Then there's the possibility that the martians were not an advanced civilization with the means to escape their dying planet, but an advanced civilation came to their aid & dropped them off here.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
this was already mentioned in an older post and....
no

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
i'm gonna go with a big ol' no on this one... especially since there is no "face on mars"

science.nasa.gov...

this site discusses that. the "face" was the result of poor quality images from the viking one probe.

bingo! i agree whole hardetly(sp)

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense

Even if the existing atmosphere was blown away to somewhere, what about the big hole in the center of Mars. An explosoin big enough to kill all life on Mars, and knock the atmosphere somewhere else is gonna leave a fair bit of a dent in the middle

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join