It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fusion Centers' Expand Criteria to Identify Militia Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

'Fusion Centers' Expand Criteria to Identify Militia Members

www.foxnews.com

If you're an anti-abortion activist, or if you display political paraphernalia supporting a third-party candidate or a certain Republican member of Congress, if you possess subversive literature, you very well might be a member of a domestic paramilitary group.

That's according to "The Modern Militia Movement," a report by the Missouri Information Analysis Center (MIAC), a government collective that identifies the warning signs of potential domestic terrorists for law enforcement communities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Let's see here, because I wrote in Ron Paul I could be considered a member of a militia?

Because we visit a site like ATS we could be government subversives?

Because i'm proud of my second amendment rights and own a few firearms, I want to engineer the downfall of the government?

Give me a break! This is a huge waste of manpower and funding.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I just found the PDF of the report being described in this article.

Link to PDF file in question

It really bothers me just how badly this is laid out, looks highly unofficial. Not sure if someone just found this report and then typed up their own spiffy pdf version or not.

This just reeks of "if you're not in agreement with our ideals, you're a terrorist!" I was hoping we could be done with this when Bush left office. Unfortunately I see it's business as usual.

Same &$%*, different day.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This article doesn't seem to be entertaining the notion that any dissidents could be considered "militia members" (although I'm sure Fox News would jump on that story in a heartbeat), rather it's talking more about American paramilitary groups like the former "Michigan Militia" whom Timothy McVeigh was associated with.

"Unemployment rates are high, as well as costs of living expenses. Additionally, President Elect Barrack [sic] Obama is seen as tight on gun control and many extremists fear that he will enact firearms confiscations."

People who supported former third-party presidential candidates like Texas Rep. Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin and former Georgia Rep. Bob Barr are cited in the report, in addition to anti-abortion activists and conspiracy theorists who believe the United States, Mexico and Canada will someday form a North American Union.

"Militia members most commonly associate with 3rd party political groups,"

It seems to be focused on classifying 'die hard' gun-owners from traditional right-wing states in the Bible Belt as potential militia members, rather than focusing on Left-wing liberalists or so forth.

Either way people are realising this is infringing on constitutional freedoms and again bordering on Fascist tendencies within the right-wing spectrum:

Donny Ferguson, a spokesman for the Libertarian Party, said he was concerned by the report's "poor choice of words," among other things.

"Unfortunately it is so broadly worded it could be interpreted as saying millions of peaceful, law-abiding Americans are involved in dangerous activities. These mistakes happen and we hope Missouri officials will correct the report," Ferguson wrote in an e-mail. "The Libertarian Party promotes the common-sense policies of fiscal responsibility and social tolerance. We are the only party in America who makes opposition to initiating violence a condition of membership."

American paramilitaries certainly maybe a viable threat to a Democratic government but this report is just too draconian to be useful, it's far too general and stereotypical and is eerily reminiscent of the Patriot Act's equating of dissent with treason.

Not to mention it's letting the government classify anyone and everyone as a potential traitor/dissident/communist/revolutionary simply based on voting preferences and what kind of books they like to read.

Which is just plain unfair and a classic case of judging books by their covers.

[edit on 23/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This Missouri Information Analytic Center seems to be nothing more than a giant propaganda machine.

Everything I've seen referenced from them has served no other purpose than to label otherwise honest hardworking people as domestic terrorists.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Just wondering what you mean by "former" Michigan Militia?
It is still very much active and pretty large.
Michigan Militia

I agree with you in that our Constitution is being crapped all over with this kind of propaganda. It definitely borders on fascism, and only seems to be getting worse. This kind of propaganda seems more and more like a buildup to something very very bad for the average American.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
How can it be "fascist" when the government in power happens to be on the exact opposite end of the political spectrum?

It's totalitarianism period and totalitarianism is found on both ends of the political spectrum, more so of the left then the right. The worst fascist regimes were amateurs compared to even the most "progressive" Communist regimes. Mao killed more people in the Great Leap Forward then Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Salazar, Trujillo, and Pinochet combined.

That being said, this is disgusting. This crap needs to stop. Left or Right, we have a right to voice our opinions without being labeled as terrorists and "domestic enemies". As far as im concerned the only domestic enemies are the ones who are operating this "Fusion Centers".

[edit on 23-3-2009 by ChrisF231]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I read it and it seems kind of ignorant to tell you the truth. It has a tone of paranoia and jumps to conclusions. They do summarize a lot of the CTs pretty well but then to group readers of the Turner Diaries with people that have watched Zeitgeist is ludicrous.

I take personal offense at the slam against the "Don't Tread on Me" or Gadsen Flag. This is a flag that goes back to the roots or our country and is part of our soul. The US Mens Soccer team used the slogan and similar snake as part of their image in the last World Cup in Germany. I mean that really Pees me Off.

I also take offense at their saying the use of the upside down flag re: "the militia uses this as a sign of a nation in distress". NO KIDDING? This is the way you fly a flag if things are right or you are indistress. It is to pass a message from afar. This is what we learned in Boy Scouts!!!!!

This wasn't the Obama administration that wrote this up. Let's be perfectly clear about that.

This was written up by the "Missouri Information Analysis Center".

KEEP IT STRAIGHT!!!!!!

[edit on 3/23/09 by stikkinikki]

new topics

top topics

join