It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama refused visa for S. Africa peace conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Dalai Lama refused visa for S. Africa peace conference

Link

March 23rd, 2009
Posted: 09:59 AM ET
(CNN) — South Africa has refused the Dalai Lama a visa to attend an international peace conference in Johannesburg this week, a presidential spokesman said.

The Tibetan spiritual leader and Nobel Laureate did not receive a visa because it was not in South Africa’s interest for him to attend, said Thabo Masebe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edited to fix link

[edit on 3/23/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

“We cannot allow focus to shift to China and Tibet,” Masebe said, adding that South Africa has gained much from its trading relationship with China.

The Dalai Lama’s fellow laureate, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, said he would boycott the event.

Evidently I need to include a certain measure of my own comments here in order to 'get published' in the forum.

What more can I say ?

I mean this story speaks for itself ...

Link
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/23/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

If anything, South Africa needs to give this guy the red carpet to speak, or at least attend.

I guess the crisis in Tibet would take too much attention away from their own strife.

It's sad that they won't allow him to attend, and possibly come up with solutions to help 2 oposite ends of the world.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Why cant they be honest about it, China's involvement in Africa is huge, lots and lots of Chinese money is involved in industry there, it would make more sense to say we dont want to annoy our Chinese overlords.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

... the crisis in Tibet ...

Well, I think that horse is done running ... Tibetan culture is finished. Why the Chinese 'did it' will always be 'open to debate' ... but, practically speaking, Tibet is no more ...

As far as 'Chinese influence in South Africa' goes -- I really had no idea ... but, certainly this news story supports that assertion !

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The Dali Lama is to Tibet what Ghandi was to India. To refuse entry for a peace conference is an outrage. How dare they do that? Like my dad use to say, if you spit in the air, it falls back on your face.
Peace.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

... if you spit in the air, it falls back on your face.

Actually, that would depend on 'which way the wind blows' - am I right ?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This should be placed in proper context.

The Dalai Lama was invited personally by Nelson Mandela, FW de Klerk and Bishop Tutu during November last year. If you can remember, FW de Klerk was the president of the apartheid government handing power over to Mandela. They shared a Nobel peace prize for this. This was done at the request of the organisers of the peace conference. It shows you what the ANC thinks of their own retired Nelson Mandela. It is shocking to see how the ANC changed their tune to be in favor of China. This is a peace conference - for heaven's sake! What better opportunity to to draw conflicting parties together!

It is a total disgrace to the people of South Africa. See a local news story about this issue: Dalai Lama Story in South Africa

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

China's involvement in Africa is huge, lots and lots of Chinese money is involved in industry there

Yep, China is a huge player there. Guess S. Africa knows which side its bread is buttered on.

China-Africa Development Fund Opens First Office in Africa

Africa's Silk Road: China and India's New Economic Frontier

Is there anything more despicable than a communist?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by teklordz
The Dali Lama is to Tibet what Ghandi was to India. To refuse entry for a peace conference is an outrage. How dare they do that? Like my dad use to say, if you spit in the air, it falls back on your face.
Peace.

Its because in our modern times labels have nothing at all to do with whats in the package.

A "terrorist" is anyone who disagrees with corporate interests.

"Peace" conferences are for those who are seeking to align with corporate interests.

The sooner you understand that all labels must be looked at in terms of how they relate to corporate interests, the sooner it will all make sense.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/03/23/dalai-lama-refuse d-visa-for-s-africa-peace-conference/

He was probably afraid that the Dalai Llama may mention how much China has raped Africa for its raw materials.

I'd be scared, too.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by vcwxvwligen]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Neo-colonialism?

Imagine the reaction if we substituted China for Europe, and we protested against Mugabe? Ah yes, imperial cabal and white colonialism.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Recently, over the last few years, HHDL has 'taken off the gloves', so to speak, in terms of his public criticisms of the Chinese. Who could blame him, for after 50 years in exile, always surrounded by his security teams whenever he moves anywhere, for finally deciding the Chinese won't ever change ...

March 10 was the 50th anniversary of the Tibetan uprising agains the Chinese occupation in 1959. Below is small exerpt from HHDL's written statement commemorating the occasion -

March 10th Statement of H.H. the Dalai Lama

Since the occupation of Tibet, Communist China has been publishing distorted propaganda about Tibet and its people. Consequently, there are, among the Chinese populace, not many who have a true understanding about Tibet. It is, in fact, very difficult for them to find the truth. There are also ultra-leftist Chinese leaders who have, since last March, been undertaking a huge propaganda effort with the intention of setting the Tibetan and Chinese peoples apart and creating animosity between them. Sadly, as a result, a negative impression of Tibetans has arisen in the minds of some of our Chinese brothers and sisters. Therefore, as I have repeatedly appealed before, I would like once again to urge our Chinese brothers and sisters not to be swayed by such propaganda, but, instead, to try to discover the facts about Tibet impartially, so as to prevent divisions among us. Tibetans should also continue to work for friendship with the Chinese people.

Looking back on 50 years in exile, we have witnessed many ups and downs. However, the fact that the Tibet issue is alive and the international community is taking growing interest in it is indeed an achievement. Seen from this perspective, I have no doubt that the justice of Tibet's cause will prevail, if we continue to tread the path of truth and non-violence.

As we commemorate 50 years in exile, it is most important that we express our deep gratitude to the governments and peoples of the various host countries in which we live. Not only do we abide by the laws of these host countries, but we also conduct ourselves in a way that we become an asset to these countries. Similarly, in our efforts to realise the cause of Tibet and uphold its religion and culture, we should craft our future vision and strategy by learning from our past experience.

I always say that we should hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. Whether we look at it from the global perspective or in the context of events in China, there are reasons for us to hope for a quick resolution of the issue of Tibet. However, we must also prepare ourselves well in case the Tibetan struggle goes on for a long time. For this, we must focus primarily on the education of our children and the nurturing of professionals in various fields. We should also raise awareness about the environment and health, and improve understanding and practice of non-violent methods among the general Tibetan population.

Source : HHDL Official Website

Hit the site for the full text.

new topics

top topics

join