It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

22 ammunition, etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The answer to this should be pretty plain and simple. I'm working on getting my .22 rifle working perfectly again. The barrel is a bit tight and when ever I fire rounds they keep fouling and get stuck, so I have to pull them out with a screw driver. I'm trying to give the bore a little more breath room and I'm finding that a chainsaw file is working aright.

Any way. I'm having a hard time believing that a 500 round brick is only $20-30.

I've shot plenty of times since I was a kid with multiple guns and I'm a decent shot, no prob. Just never been huge into guns and types of ammo because it never really occurred to me. I've never really been huge into hunting I guess is why.

So what brand of ammo do you guys recommend?

What kind of lead/tip.

High velocity?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Winchester, 22 long rifle. Get rid of this piece of crap rifle you have. Good lord you might blow up an eye. A replacement really doesn't cost that much. Besides, what are you gonna use a 22 for, a squirrel? it ain't worth it if the rounds get stuck in it. Just my .02

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Money is scarce man easier said than done.

I have a 30-30 as well but that belongs to my dad, we had db 12 gauge and 30.06 years back but they were stolen.

I have the bore nearly fixed. And a .22 has a lot of use. Sure it doesn't have the stopping power of a larger round but it's still a projectile.

If it has the power to penetrate the skull or spine of a large animal than I'm fine. Granted you have the shot.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Winchester, 22 long rifle.

Agreed. Winchester makes the best 22 round that I've ever shot. I have had issues with Federal's, so I just don't buy them. And actually, 22 rounds are fairly cheap depending where you purchase them from. $30 for a 500 round count sounds about right.

As for the bore issues - you might consider taking it in to a shop (or a local gun collector/restorer) and having them do a piece by piece clean for you... Although depending on prices, this could be around the same price as purchasing a newer one.

Seriously though - I really think you need to have the rifle thoroughly cleaned before you fire another round down range. There's a reason it's jamming, you need to figure out what it is.

- Carrot

[edit on 3/23/2009 by CA_Orot]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
well origonaly the shells were fouling in the bore because i hadn't taken the time to clean it.

They used a really cheap alloy when making the gun so when i went to pry the shell out, i accidental made a small tooth on the bore which made it worse.

If I had the money to buy a new gun id be getting a handgun, not a rifle.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Oooh.. So there is damage to the bore then? From prying out the rounds that would not discharge?

Definitely take it in to someone then, definitely. Damage to the barrel impedes the rifles performance indefinitely.

I know money's tight (for all of us right now) but I strongly urge you to either not fire the rifle again until someone has looked at it, or start saving for another firearm.

What kind of handgun are you interested in?

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I love the .22, both in Pistol and Rifle. I actually happen to be a natural Sharp Shooter with this Caliber in both Firearm types

I actually have an original Colt Woodsman from the 1930's in Mint Condition, passed down from my Grandmother. The last time I took it to the range, well, let me just state that it felt so much smoother and natural than the Revolver I rented at the range the time before that. It is AMAZING. I tore out the Center of a 25 Foot Silhouette with 30 Shots, and that was only my second time ever firing a Pistol.

Lol, anyways, my fault for getting a little off topic.

We purchased a brick of .22 Ammo for a good price, but I wish I could remember what it was. The rounds were good overall for their intended purpose, as we never faced any jams or defects. If I find the brand and price later today, I will go ahead and post it on here.

Out of my inevitable curiosity, what type of .22 Rifle do you own? I have firearms that are family heirlooms, so I know all about sentimental value, and the need for repairs, especially on a budget.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
savage mark 2. not the best in the world.

well its not severe damage. How would it be a severe problem if it is just at the mouth of the bore? I can understand if you mean in the projectile path further down the barrel.

Taking the bolt out and looking down the barrel it looks just fine to me, maybe needs some cleaning

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Scarcer]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I don't know man... Any damage to the bore sure doesn't help performance.. It might not be severe, but any changes made to the bore change the way the rifle works...

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I can understand if you mean in the projectile path further down the barrel.

Taking the bolt out and looking down the barrel it looks just fine to me, maybe needs some cleaning

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Take that weapon to a gunsmith pronto.

One of the many good rules about firearms is do not operate
a seriously malfunctioning weapon.

Get it fixed, if money is an issue do some side jobs, post work
wanted on local craigslist, hand out flyers whatever it takes.

Time to get your hustle on, and put the excuses out to pasture.

With what is coming down the pike you better have all your gear
good to go or your gonna be SOL.

China and Russia are both pushing to have the dollar dropped as
the reserve currency of the world.

If that happens, we are so screwed will will beg for a 1929 re-run.

Good Luck to you all !

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
More then likely taking the gun the a gunsmith will cost you the same as getting a new gun. Or damn near close lol. I see 22's that hold 10 rds I think going fo $150ish(maybe even Savage arms, I forget tho).

Anyways, here's a site that sells just .22 ammo.

www.22ammo.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
You should start with a thorough cleaning.

Here's what I use and it works perfectly. I use Kroils

Take a small patch and soak it with Kroils and run it through your bore. Let this sit for 20 minutes or so. For the first time you might want to run a patch and let it go overnight. After you've let it soak, then run a brush through the bore a couple of time to loosen up the carbon and lead. The take a jag and push a patch through.

Repeat as necessary and within a reasonable amount of time your bore will be clean. The brush will also take care of those deposits in your chamber. I hope you didn't make any rough area in your chamber with a file, this could ruin your barrel.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I concour, a new .22 is very cheap. Get rid of that piece of crap and don't pawn it off on anyone else unless you mention the barrel problems.

You have to also love the ammo prices. I have been picking up 100-400 rounds per payday for a while now to stock up. Even .22 is getting scarce here in Oklahoma. It's even wiped out in many online stores.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Look,you caused damage to the chamber area by improperly useing a tool to get the spent cartridge brass out. Then you used the wrong tool(a file) to try to smooth out the burr you put in the chamber. You are causing additional damage to the rifle. This will only compound the problems. Either take it to someone with the appropriate knowledge and tools or do not fire it anymore.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
the gun has already been fired several times since that happened either way. All I have in my pocket is enough to get some more ammo. I live and work on a dairy and I'm a senior in school so i dont even have the time to get a side job, I'm not even getting money for the work I do here any more.

The file amazingly is the same size as the bore and the shells still fit tight.

Can some one give me a good argument as to why I should be worried?

I'm talking about where the shell fits, I haven't touched the projectile path.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I agree on the Winchester .22's I have a Model 47 and 62A.
I picked up a Remington 514 recently and it is just as accurate.
(These guns are all >50 yr old rifles).

Bang for buck Survial is Ruger 10-22.

Wally world has 500rd .22 brick for under $15......
I saw 500Rd Subsonic bricks at Gunshow over the wkend
for $36

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

May I jump in! Take your 22 to a gunsmith!!!!! I have an old winchester 74 22 LR semi-auto rifle. I had it restored 5 years ago to like new. ( grandfathers rifle) I want to mount a good scope and find more powerful 22 cal ammo. I've heard about ammo that is a 22cal shell tappered for a .17 bullet.Same size as a 22 cal LR. More volicity and accuracy @ 100 meters
Any suggestions?

Thanks

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinktip
I agree on the Winchester .22's I have a Model 47 and 62A.
I picked up a Remington 514 recently and it is just as accurate.
(These guns are all >50 yr old rifles).

Bang for buck Survial is Ruger 10-22.

Wally world has 500rd .22 brick for under $15......
I saw 500Rd Subsonic bricks at Gunshow over the wkend
for $36

I can't find .22 bricks at any Wally World around here. I've been throwing back 100 at a time for a while now.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by on_yur_6]

join