It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan 15-year-old dies after police Taser him

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Michigan 15-year-old dies after police Taser him

news.yahoo.com

BAY CITY, Mich. – Police in Michigan say a 15-year-old boy has died after being Tasered by officers who were trying to break up a fight.

Police didn't release his name and say state police are investigating.

A Bay City police news release says officers answered a report of an early morning fight on Sunday. The statement says two males were arguing in an apartment, and one of them "attempted to fight the officers."

Police say officers Tasered him, and his reaction led them to immediately call for emergency medical help. He was pronounced dead at Bay Regional Medical Center.

Deputy Chief Thomas Pletzke tells WNEM-TV police placed one officer on administrative leave.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com
www.boston.com

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Is it just me or does this sound eerily similar to what happened in Greece in 2008? I think it's going to say a lot about where Americans stand among our own compatriates when we don't do anything or take much notice of something like this (all the while being horrified about Chris Brown). I'm not calling for riots or anything but we really need to stand up against things like this. This is bad.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I swear this is becoming all too common place nowadays..

I wonder if these devices have been amped up, or if after a certain time, or even the first time one is fired it sends out more juice than is meant.

These devices are supposed to be meant for "non-lethal" force, yet they are ending too many people's lives.

Maybe, after a taser kills someone... it should immediately be used on the officer that fires it, just to make sure its working under safe guidelines.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well while it is a sad thing that he died, he shouldn't have tried to assault the cops. It did say that they immediatly called for emergency help when he saw the reaction he had.

I don't think the cops involved are to blame. The kid might have had a condition that the cops were unaware of.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I read this and was about to post it...glad I checked first. I will tell you this, I have never tased a juvenile (i.e. under 18). In my mind when a kid gets froggy and decides to lash out its time for an old school ass whoopin and he gets put in his place. I wasn't there so don't know all the facts/circumstances, but I can imagine not being able to control a YOUNG teen with my hands. I have tased an 18 year old, but again that was NOT this incident....

I won't completly take the teens side because I don't know the ENTIRE story or ALL the facts....but I sure won't be siding with this officer right now. My main concern is the family of the teen, and the medical examiners report as to what killed the teen...and NO I do not believe it was soley the taser! Pre exsiting medical conditions is my GUESS...but I'll WAIT for the facts before going off like most will on this thread.

EDIT TO ADD: Tasers are LESS LETHAL weapons, NOT "non-lethal"! Just like rubber bullets, 37/40mm wood batons, bean bags, etc...none are NON-LETHAL...only less than lethal.

[edit on 3/23/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again, politicians won't consider the ramifications of the use of tasers until the '15-year-old dies' in one of these stories is a politician's own son or daughter.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I read this and was about to post it...glad I checked first. I will tell you this, I have never tased a juvenile (i.e. under 18). In my mind when a kid gets froggy and decides to lash out its time for an old school ass whoopin and he gets put in his place. I wasn't there so don't know all the facts/circumstances, but I can imagine not being able to control a YOUNG teen with my hands. I have tased an 18 year old, but again that was NOT this incident....

I won't completly take the teens side because I don't know the ENTIRE story or ALL the facts....but I sure won't be siding with this officer right now. My main concern is the family of the teen, and the medical examiners report as to what killed the teen...and NO I do not believe it was soley the taser! Pre exsiting medical conditions is my GUESS...but I'll WAIT for the facts before going off like most will on this thread.

EDIT TO ADD: Tasers are LESS LETHAL weapons, NOT "non-lethal"! Just like rubber bullets, 37/40mm wood batons, bean bags, etc...none are NON-LETHAL...only less than lethal.

Granted I will give you that about being "less lethal".

But I have personally heard a police officer giving a lecture about his "non-lethal" taser device.. his words exactly.

That may just be this officer's poor choice of words.. but those were the words he used.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
First, I'd like to congratulate you rcwj on another good post. Although we haven't seen eye to eye on everything, I get the feeling you are one of the good guys.

Now, as for this. I think they need to really engrain this idea into rookies more. It seems like it's the first thing they think of doing rather than get their hands dirty.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

If the cops in question did get their hands dirty and accidently broke the kids arm then their would still be posts about cops using excessive force.

They are really in a no win situation. Short of taking a beating while trying to apprehend someone who is fighting them in, they will continue to take abuse.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Pre Existing medical condition.
Or a faulty taser.
What if the current limiter was faulty and let through to many amps?
That would kill someone.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

This is what their teaching us in my criminal justice class in college. Accidents do happen and not every person reacts the same way to tasers.

I remember hearing a story where a man was pepper sprayed in NYC and police then tasered him, resulting in him catching on fire. I dont remember the rest of the story but I think that certain spray became banned because of its ability to catch fire.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
If the cops in question did get their hands dirty and accidently broke the kids arm then their would still be posts about cops using excessive force.

They are really in a no win situation. Short of taking a beating while trying to apprehend someone who is fighting them in, they will continue to take abuse.

Too bad they couldn't just tranquilize someone safely. Like they do to wild animals.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Well they could, but then they would be accused of drugging us and hauling us away.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

I don't think the cops involved are to blame. The kid might have had a condition that the cops were unaware of.

Maybe the cops where unaware that Taser can kill. NOT! They know it's possible, so this makes the cops part of the blame. Hand-applied force is much more controllable than Taser, even pain compliance all the way up to hands on impact weapons is MUCH more safe than the use of Taser. There's no control techniques in Taser...it's just aim and shoot, then hope you don't kill the suspect.

It's unsafe for everyone when you see a cop packing a Taser, usually it means the cop doesn't trust his hands on non-lethal force.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Yea, they should go hand to hand with someone who wants to hurt them. Then like I said in an earlier post if the cops accidently broke a suspects arm then you would be here complaining that they used to much force.

If someone comes at a cop then they take the risk. I rather them tase someone before they engage in hand to hand. They will get a bad rap either way, so there isn't a need to risk getting injured.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Sweet lord! A cop can't control a 15 year old? This is just sorry. Hey, how about a bit of strong armed tactics that don't actually kill somebody. Lord knows I experienced them in my youth.
Ya know. I swift hit with a baton behind the lower legs usually subdues someone. You don't have to electrocute somebody. ya bastidges. Cops. Becoming technologically assisted sissies.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

If they had busted him behind the leg and injured him then we would still be here, only this time it would be police brutality.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

reply to post by kyred

If they had busted him behind the leg and injured him then we would still be here, only this time it would be police brutality.

But it would be a little bit of a better outcome than a family having to bury their son.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your point.. I would just rather have to go to court over a "busted knee cap" than a wrongful death suit.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
They really need to stop using these things now, they never know what kind of reaction someone is going to have from being hit with them. They are just too dangerous.

I think most cops think if they have to shoot someone, that person is more than likely going to die. But i think they have a misfounded belief that tazers are safer than they really are.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

reply to post by kyred

Better to have an injured leg, and a case of police brutallity, than to be dead.

But that's just my opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join