It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Theory On Interplanetary Travel.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This may sound a little silly to most of you, but this is just something i was thinking about. We all know our galaxy is moving, I think roughly 900,000 MPH? It is moving along with all of the other galaxies. Now in theory, if you launched a ship into space and waited, wouldn't galaxies start coming towards you? Or even if we travel in the direction of the galaxies moving towards us, wouldnt it be 900,000 MPH plus the speed of the ship?

The way i think of it is...Imagine driving down the highway in you car with another car behind you. Your car is our galaxy, and the car behind you is another. Now the ship is something you throw out of the window of the car while driving. What happens? That something you throw out the window would get to that other car in a hurry.

Your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
That's an interesting theory, but I don't think that's how it would work. Instead of comparing the other galaxy to a second car behind you, the other galaxy would be the person in the back seat of YOUR car. You're both traveling at high speeds in one direction, but the object you throw at the second person won't get there any easier because it still exists in the same plan of motion as the two of you.

Edit for spelling.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Gdc934]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
900,000 MPH?
Very interesting.
Is this the ether flow?

As everything is moving at this momentum (mass is moving .. that
is it has velocity).

How would you like to hear some theories bout this.
Perhaps thought about by scientists just about 100 years ago.

With no place to fall, there is only velocity.
So how do you tap in to this movement?

The tap is by electrical charges.
Except charges mean acceleration.
So you can move inside the momentum as you wish.

This in an interpretation of concepts developed in Tesla
research by Bill Lyne who claims these facts were well
known to the early electrical physicists and only Tesla
developed the equipment with static producing coils.

As unscientific proof the movement of UFO craft are sited
in atmospheric gases and yet to be verified in the reaches
of space without atmospheric gases eventhough everything
is moving.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Now in theory, if you launched a ship into space and waited, wouldn't galaxies start coming towards you?

TeslaandLyne,

These are great thought experiments, please don't be discouraged by the replies you receive on this thread and continue to explore these ideas you have.

The problem with the theory is the "waited" part. A simple explanation of relativity is that in space everything is moving (or not) in relation to an observer and it all depends on the observer. We can launch into space and then try to lock our coordinates and soon find out we can't because everything is moving in relation to us. What do we lock on to? We can't. Furthermore slowing down to let other galaxies meet us is no different than accelerating toward those galaxies from our perspective.

To observers of that galaxy it would appear that we are slowing down. To observers in this galaxy it would appear that we are speeding up.

In either case it would require lots of thrust.

Obsidience

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well the use of acceleration with frozen gases might work.

Once we get to the Moon with a rocket the size of the Saturn,
then explore all you want.

At 32ft/sec/sec might help reach the speed of light at some time
if we calculate it.
I'm sure no one is afraid to accelerate that fast.
But other than Einstein, people have put obstacles in their way
with the fear of collision with possible space dust.

Also the waiting theory works with the suspension theory to be
in control of momentum.

And if I recall Tesla's statements, nothing would be an obstacle
to his ship (wind, rain ..), undoubtedly the dirigible torpedo.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I believe your math on how fast it is moving to be correct, however, I believe that what your referring too is how fast the Universe is expanding, instead of how fast it is moving.

If your theory were correct we would be constantly moving through space changing distances and coming closer to other galaxies and star systems.

The edge of the Universe is expanding that fast, however I don't believe that what is already part of the "known" universe is moving forward at all, simply going around in their intended orbits.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Haha, sorry.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Terrific thread cause there are a lot of 'MY Theories' coming
along.

And why the expanding universe.
Shouldn't there be a lot of orbits of galaxies with galaxies.

There should be an oscillating universe.

First diggs on the oscillating system of the Cosmos.
The reason: because orbits of the planets are what have been observed and observation is all we need for proof. Solid.

Pass it along to wiki.

[edit on 3/22/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. Im no astro-physicist , but its just something that made sense to me.

Now that someone mentioned the "inside the car" reference it makes a little more sense.

When we leave the earth we are already traveling the speed the earth is moving away. So the inertia will keep the ship moving with it.

The reason something stops when you throw it out of a car window, is due to wind friction. drag

I think i get it now...

top topics

join