It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HR 875 Could Result in Arrest, Imprisonment of CEOs of Processed Food Companies (if enforced)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
NaturalNews.com

I haven't yet read this bill, I didn't know the name and hadn't been around the net much the last few days. I got this email from naturalnews and am even more interested in this than before. What kind of language is this? Will it be enforced like it could be? All I've heard about it is that it's bad for any small time grower, or for that matter anyone who's doing things right. Does this mean that they can go after Monsanto for all the evils they have brought upon us? Doubtful, like he says in the article, but hey, we do live in interesting times. One can hope.

But the law has a few other elements that no one is talking about, such as SEC 401 - Prohibited Acts (thomas.loc.gov...), which reads, "It is prohibited (1) to manufacture, introduce, deliver for introduction, or receive in interstate commerce any food that is adulterated, misbranded, or otherwise unsafe."

(A) IN GENERAL- Any person that commits an act that violates the food safety law (including a regulation promulgated or order issued under the food safety law) may be assessed a civil penalty by the Administrator of not more than $1,000,000 for each such act.

(1) OFFENSE RESULTING IN SERIOUS ILLNESS- Notwithstanding section 303(a) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 333(a)), if a violation of any provision of section 301 of such Act (21 U.S.C. 301) with respect to an adulterated or misbranded food results in serious illness, the person committing the violation shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, fined in accordance with title 18, United States Code, or both.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

But the law has a few other elements that no one is talking about, such as SEC 401 - Prohibited Acts (thomas.loc.gov...), which reads, "It is prohibited (1) to manufacture, introduce, deliver for introduction, or receive in interstate commerce any food that is adulterated, misbranded, or otherwise unsafe."

To adulterate; from dictionary.com:

to debase or make impure by adding inferior materials or elements; use cheaper, inferior, or less desirable goods in the production of (any professedly genuine article): to adulterate food."

Let's think about this for a second..

"cheaper or less desirable goods"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't High Fructose Corn Syrup cheaper than sugar?

Aren't there a large number of people who consider HFCS "undesirable"?

Isn't HFCS nutritionally "inferior" to sugar?

Isn't it being used as a replacement for sugar, in innumerable food items in the US?

[edit on 3/22/2009 by nasdack24k]

new topics

join