It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real makers of mankind.. Cool New Theory Here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

theory
There's already been countless advances in the always exciting field of robot muscles, but a team of researchers from the University of Texas have now made what appears to be a considerable leap forward, which they say could allow for "performance characteristics that have not previously been obtained." The key to that is an entirely new material comprised of ribbons of tangled nanotubes, which can expand its width by 220% when a voltage is applied and return to its original shape in just milliseconds when the voltage is removed. What's more, the material is not only "stronger than steel and stiffer than diamond," but it's able to withstand an extreme range of temperatures from -196 °C to 1538 °C, which could allow robots equipped with the muscles to operate with ease in a wide variety of off-world colonies, er, "harsh environments." Head on past the break for a demonstration of the material in its non-robot form.

www.engadget.com...

Sounds pretty cool huh? This part got me thinking "What's more, the material is not only "stronger than steel and stiffer than diamond," but it's able to withstand an extreme range of temperatures from -196 °C to 1538 °C, which could allow robots equipped with the muscles to operate with ease in a wide variety of off-world colonies, er, "harsh environments.".

What if modern day humans are about to be outdated like 'Big Zac Morris 80s cell phones are considered soooo old and technologically outdated compared to (

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I have to say, that is pretty freaking cool.

The actual implications of this are numerous and scary. I just hope they think twice about actually mass producing "aware" machines and computers.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Please....

Please...ugh....damn!

Please....

NO MORE THEORIES!

*Dies*

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
"Some one call the Ambulance for that boy!"

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
good theory with alot of philosophy on the topic. What is it to be human? Emotion? Language? Aposable thumbs? product?
Never the less, you have a good sci-film there.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Thank you for feedback.

what is it to be Human? I think were not different at all from other species just one that happens to be lucky that we were the ones to have the stronger, bigger more computational brain. Languish comes with the Territory.

Emotion? Nah, dogs howl and cry when their sad, and they also love their masters.

Aposable thumbs may play a bigger role then what we believe. Imagine the type of things a monkey would think of doing if they hand one??

new topics

top topics

join