It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G20 Protesters 'Will Try to Bring London to Standstill'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

G20 Protesters

www.commondreams.org

LONDON -- Next month's G20 summit will present an "unprecedented" challenge as up to 2,000 protesters attempt to bring London to a standstill, the Metropolitan Police admitted yesterday.

The 20 world leaders, including Barack Obama, are to visit the capital for the summit on 2 and 3 April. They plan to discuss ways to tackle the global financial crisis.

But their presence is expected to encourage a large number of protests, with scores of activists from an array of different causes determined to generate publicity from demonstrations around the event.

The majority of protest groups have promised to demonstrate peacefully, but there are fears anarchist and hardcore anti-capitalists from Britain and abroad will try to fight police in pitched battles reminiscent of the anarchist riots of the late 1990s which caused millions of pounds of damage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-3-2009 by milesp]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think the estimate of '2,000 protesters' is far too small. 20,000 seems more reasonable.

Good luck to the protesters. Hopefully they can bring attention to a wide variety of issues and remind the world that the anti-capitalist movement is alive and well in the 21st century.

2009: The Summer of Rage.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89653ffc1eda.jpg[/atsimg]
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-3-2009 by milesp]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I and the rest of the SAS
Will protect her Majesty.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
I and the rest of the SAS
Will protect her Majesty.

Hmmmm.. Location in Melbourne and in the SAS?
Think your in the wrong city mate, you might have to travel a few thousand km's west to Perth and then a alot further to the UK....

Anyway, back on topic.. go go protesters!! i'd be in it if i could!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Capt. Caveman is full of it, just ignore him.

As for the topic:

The protesters can try and bring London to a standstill, but the Police have pretty sweeping powers to deal with trouble makers and blocking traffic or other systems is basically giving them a green light to use those powers.

Should make for some interesting viewing none the less, but we all know that the only thing that can bring London to a complete standstill is 6" of snow, not some grubby protesters or bomb attacks.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by milesp

I think the estimate of '2,000 protesters' is far too small. 20,000 seems more reasonable.

Well no matter how many protesters actually appear, the mainstream media will under-report the figure as they've done with recent years. However, I think there will be genuine problems with this protest actually being able to take place. I think there will be various 'alerts' or 'scares' in the run up to this allowing the police to prevent this from taking place.

2009: The Summer of Rage.

Here's hoping.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Capt. Caveman is full of it, just ignore him.

As for the topic:

The protesters can try and bring London to a standstill, but the Police have pretty sweeping powers to deal with trouble makers and blocking traffic or other systems is basically giving them a green light to use those powers.

Should make for some interesting viewing none the less, but we all know that the only thing that can bring London to a complete standstill is 6" of snow, not some grubby protesters or bomb attacks.

Watched a video recently on London Police tactics during anti-Israeli protest and the coppers kept retreating and let the protesters have the run of the streets..

No horses,water cannons deployed though.

Should be interesting to see there tactics during G20 as i reckon they'll have a take no prisoners mentality(meaning everyone will be chopped down with a few baton whacks to the knees and treated as footy hooligans)

All depends on how many protesters show up and how many of them are willing to get it on

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
A few things to remember.

* Certain agencies have been known to provoke trouble from the inside, as soon as we have one 'troublemaker', they all get tarnished by the same brush.

* Let's not forget we are supposedly preparing for a summer of rage. Whoever pulls the strings could maybe manipulate more police enforcement and at the same time be hyping up the media.

* Protestors very rarely get fair or accurate coverage by the mainstream media. Remember this.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Good luck to my fellow protesters- I won't be able to get out and be with you, but I'm there in spirit.

Hopefully no one gets hurt or jailed, but we all know they will.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by r3dman

Admittedly, it is very rare the police will go to such lengths as the primary objective of British Policing is to "keep order", not necessarily enforce the Law.

If order can be kept by just containing a protest, then as long as no damage or threat to life is in the works then they will just let things carry on. The main objective of the Pro/Anti Israel protests, as far as policing was concerned, was to keep the two sides apart to prevent a riot. Any police heavy handedness could have provoked one.

As soon as you start acting like a tit though, they will become the proverbial ton of bricks dropping on you from a great height..

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
G20 protests have a history of always having something go "wrong", so you can bet there will be more than mere order keeping. Having so many powerful people together is a significant terrorist target, too, so tension will be high, and an anxious policemen is more likely to lash out against someone they see as even just "acting off".

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I don't see how this is a protest against capitalism but of oligarchy. The G20 group alone proves that something is afoot with world politics... I would like some real change with them.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
As much as I would personally like to lob a few cocktails through bank windows I have to admit that it's exactly what "they" want. It may seem exciting to be in the midst of an anarchist protest but in the end violence always makes things worse for everyone.

In fact, I couldn't think of a worse outcome from this economic crisis than the victory of so called "anarchists". The victory of anti-government forces has always led straight to oppression and terror for the populous. I would even go so far as to say that anarchists, or anyone advocating violence to overthrow a government, are being ignorant and negligent and are only fighting to ruin the country they say they are fighting to save.

Just look back at history, the only revolution that I can think of that has led to a beneficial outcome was the American Revolution of the 18th century. Most of the time violent overthrows of a government lead only to a power vacuum which is quickly filled by the violent people who created it. If we, as a species, were enlightened enough to operate in a world absent government then I would be all for true anarchy but the truth is that we are not.

Anarchists are nobody's allies and are fighting for nobody's benefit. You should be very very wary of supporting any anarchists or their actions.

If you want a revolution that will make life better for all then you must seek to educate and enlighten as many people as you can in the benefits of peace and the knowledge that freedom is inherent in every human at birth and that a government has only as much power as you allow it.

Violence and terror will not free humankind, only knowledge and understanding can make us free and ensure a better world for future generations.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
As much as I would personally like to lob a few cocktails through bank windows I have to admit that it's exactly what "they" want. It may seem exciting to be in the midst of an anarchist protest but in the end violence always makes things worse for everyone.

Let me assure you all, this is not what "they" want.

The G20 wants a passive world population and it scares them to death that the world's powerful are met with violent protests everywhere they meet.

Although, i am an anarchist, you dont have to be one to see that the super rich are fleecing us all and that the government's that are supposed to be representing the people are doing everything they can to keep the status quo intact.

The victory of anti-government forces has always led straight to oppression and terror for the populous. I would even go so far as to say that anarchists, or anyone advocating violence to overthrow a government, are being ignorant and negligent and are only fighting to ruin the country they say they are fighting to save.

All we can do is help push the world in the right direction. Victories for anarchists include many of the civil and labor rights that we enjoy today.

If you want a revolution that will make life better for all then you must seek to educate and enlighten as many people as you can in the benefits of peace and the knowledge that freedom is inherent in every human at birth and that a government has only as much power as you allow it.

Violence and terror will not free humankind, only knowledge and understanding can make us free and ensure a better world for future generations.

Everything in this paragraph is in line with anarchist philosophy. The real violence and terror comes from the wars and poverty that the world elite impose on the rest of us.

Causing a scene to be heard by these people is not violent or terrorist. It's patriotic.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
LOL! Sand-pits with children playing!

Well this could be big, thousands of students could also take to the streets to join the protests - add the Unions and the average angry citizens and other Hooligans who lost their jobs to that.

If they are lucky, I guess they can reach a mass of at least 30.000 'hardcore' protesters in the streets and on the barricades.

Like the rest of Europes Armchair Protesters, I'll join them in spirit and with comments on the net and with beer & popcorn (too old to be on the barricades LOL!) while playing the good ol' 'Anarchy in the UK' by Sex Pistols loud on my stereo!

Anarchy in the UK - Sex Pistols
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
i doubt anything will happen.
this is london the year is 2009
there is just too much on tv
why would people take to the streets

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well apart from stumasons stereotypical idea that all protestors are grubby (stumason you suprised me there)... I fully support this and i hope London comes to a grinding halt.

I hope the worlds leaders are shocked at the passion that is against them...

Good luck to every protestor out there and remember not to let the police cause any trouble.

Peace

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
NWO at the door!

British PM Gordon Brown urged the United States to resist protectionist and work with “your friend Europe” and other partners to revive the world’s economy.

Brown feels that the BUY US clause will deepen the troubled economy. Brown is laying the ground work for the G20 summit in London this April.

On Tuesday, it has been reported that Obama agreed on global collaboration to handle future financial crises. Both Tony Blair and British PM Gordon Brown have repeatedly called for a New World Order years.

Some wonder if the financial crisis was created so the goals of a new world order could become a reality. A global “new deal” could be reached during the next few months in which every nation would be involved in “sorting out and cleaning up the banking system.”

Wikipedia has this posted under New World Order (posted for educational reasons)

Brown, who called for a “new world order” in a 2008 speech in New Delhi, to reflect the rise of Asia and growing concerns over global warming and finance. Brown said the new world order should incorporate a better representation of “the biggest shift in the balance of economic power in the world in two centuries.”

He then went on, “To succeed now, the post-war rules of the game and the post-war international institutions — fit for the Cold War and a world of just 50 states — must be radically reformed to fit our world of globalisation.”

He also called for the revamping of post-war global institutions including the World Bank, G8 and International Monetary Fund

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I dunno stu.. some of their plans are innovative ..

I read on Reuters they where planning to bring truck loads of sand to dump in the streets, then place children in the sand to play, preventing police from forcefully removing them.

Either way, I think it will largely depend on the size of the crowd.. 2,000 people won't bring the city to a stand still, 20,000 might have better luck, but I imagine the turn out could be pretty high considering the amount of publicity the protesters have received even before the protest.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Violence produces more violence.

Destruction produces more destruction.

Knowledge produces understanding.

Understanding produces peace.

Don't continue the cycle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join