It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Considers Implementing Martial Law To Clean Up Policing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

City Considers Implementing Martial Law To Clean Up Policing

www.prisonplanet.com

A New York State city is considering implementing martial law and replacing the local police force with National Guardsmen, in an effort to clean up law enforcement in the area.

The remarkable idea comes in response to a rise in police corruption and illegal activity in Schenectady, according to a Capital News 9 report.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
capitalnews9.com

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is the start. Wonder what all the FEMA activity and new laws regarding the National Guard are about?

“It may be that as a stopgap measure, that you would need military forces - State Police, National Guard.” the Mayor said.

“It’s a contrived scenario,” said the mayor. “But it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities if you go that particular route.”

Schenectady’s Corporation Counsel John Van Norden said, “If you abolish the police department you still have a need - not an obligation - but a need to police the community. You would need something in transition. Declaring martial law would be one way to bridge the gap.”

Would it really be a stop gap measure though, or be used to get the rest of the population used to it.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Sounds like there bringing it in through the back door. Policing has always been corrupt, just like politics. Just so happens NOW is the perfect time to clean things up? Hmmmm.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
There are other ways to 'clean up' a police force. They seem to be looking for ways to institute ML. Sad days for america.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The Mayor responded to the Prison Planet article:

Schenectady Mayor Stratton Responds To Prison Planet “Martial Law” Report

As reported on the local cable news channel, Capital News 9, I have said that martial law might be a necessary but temporary interim measure if in fact our city were to abolish its police department and transition over an extended period to a county-administered force or other option.

The very fact that many officers in our 166-member police department may choose to retire, leave city employment or seek employment elsewhere were the city to plan to ultimately move to that option, could result in a sudden exodus of personnel. Our responsibility to provide continued public safety through adequate numbers of police officers could mean a temporary assignment of State Police, other local law enforcement personnel, or even state militia only as an emergency and temporary measure until such time as a new department is formed and fully staffed.

Doesn't really matter how temporary they intend to make it, once in the military are running the show and they decide when to hand back control. Wonder how long it would take to rebuild a police force from scratch?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I started a thread on this other day..
Isnt it so sad afterall, what cops can do>? Swearing an oath to protect the public,a nd in return, turning on them..
You know, not for nothing, isnt this the mayros job to clean house?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

If the police force is so corrupt that he is even keeping this option on the table, then a coplete rebuild will still be needed. Doesn't matter if he uses the Guard or not.

This sounds like Police Academy 2 or 3.

You know the one where the city is so corrupt that it is over powering the police force and they use a civilian to force program.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I got an idea . . .

Fire everyone and start a fresh police force.

Novel idea, I know

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
I got an idea . . .

Fire everyone and start a fresh police force.

Novel idea, I know

The "De-Bathification" of America .....?

.....though that didn`t end well.

An armed group of disgruntled, newly unemployed men .

A recipe for disaster .

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but this seems like a perfectly acceptable reason to temporarily bring in martial law. You guys are talking like the police force could be 'cleaned up' overnight by firing/rehiring in one fell swoop when that idea is absurd. It will take a long time to properly investigate the corruption claims and root out the bad. Call me crazy but I think martial law is preferable to anarchy for the interim period.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm sure there are plenty of police for hire that could be used in the interim. There is a reason we have never taken the gov't using the military as police lightly. For that matter, why do they have to declare Martial Law? They could just use MP's to do the regular civilian police duties temporarily. Nope, this stinks and I hope people don't roll over for it.

new topics

top topics

join