It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1966 Westall UFO incident

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 111DPKING111

Thanks for that. I've long known about this case but never focused on the small details. Even the news reports from the time suggest something very strange happened.

Very interesting indeed.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mogget
Did they ever locate the girl that never returned to the school?

Supposedly the director of the Westall '66: A Suburban UFO Mystery, Rosie Jones, has tracked Tanya down.

groups.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Who confiscated the pictures? Surely if it was even a top secret 'weather balloon' then nearly 50 years on there is no need to cover it all up?

I think this is the worst part for all of us, if you keep watching the video you see it was probably the airforce who was responsible for the coverup. And the question of course is, how much do they know? Other researchers commented in the video, that while the Westall case probably had the most witnesses as far as Australian UFOs, there was virtually no official documents that anything ever occurred.

And maybe they dont know anymore than the rest of us, the fact it is still not public leads me to think it is a mystery to them as well.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   
There has been an update on this case recently.

James J. Kibel an Australian UFO researcher conducted an interview with Andrew Greenwood from the Westall school where the incident occurred. Andrew Greenwood was the science teacher who first thought children were playing a prank but then went outside to investigate.

The recording was discovered amongst possessions of American physicist and UFO researcher Dr James E. McDonald.
The audio quality is patchy but clear enough to hear most of the interview. It implies that the headmaster was scared out of his wits and was the main reason for the story being clamped down. He gave the school children a lecture and saying they would be severely punished if they talked about this matter. He informed his staff they could lose their jobs if they talked.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Necromancing this thread. Man this is still a great case.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

What other cases would you have in your top 5?

Some recent info

Link1

Link 2

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Has anyone cross referenced the sighting with anything going on at Woomera at the time? Target blimp or some sort of recording balloon?

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   

I wasn't too far away from this incident as a kid living in the suburb of Mentone. I attended the Catholic School (St Pats) at Mentone short of Warrigal Road leading to that suburb where the event took place.

My school at that time was/is near the junction of Warrigal Road and Lower Dandenong Road.

For me, Later in life, I hate my memories. I can remember back to when i was 3 years old. Not exact dates and times so I wouldn't go there. Sure, plenty of good times but it's the crap that haunts me till this day. April 66 I was 8 years old.

I remember the airplanes. The droning noise.. Very distracting. Not far from Moorabbin aerodrome this would be expected but no on this day. This was more than usual. Light planes making, what I could only guess now, were throttle turns. Powering up then tuning down.

That evening my dad said around the dinner table, "Sounded like the bombers in Darwin over the air fields." (Ex WW2 RAAF from Darwin.) Dad also said, " "Saw the Army or CMF (Citizens Military Force) today up near the Nepean Highway and Warrigal Road". My brother and I always listened to dad with wide eyes chewing on whatever we were eating that night. I said, "I heard the noise." ( I remember my elder brothers reply, lol, "No ya didn't.)

Anyway, that occurred at this time, and not long after some interesting ufo reports a little further afield from Melbourne. Includes a photograph allegedly taken.

Now, I am saying this now because I can remember but not the exact times and dates. I guess I was a kid at the time. When someone mentions Westall at anytime, I can relate.

My memories,

bally

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Thanks for sharing bally, I’m glad this case still garners interest.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

It still garners Interest for me. Always had a fascination with aeroplanes. This particular day was a bonus. Never heard anything like it until I joined the navy years later.

The memories is kinda like St Kilda winning its only premiership, Galilee winning the cup and my 1st eldest brother dying not long after coming back from the army.

Kind regards,

bally

edit on 24-2-2019 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Interesting account Bally.

Its as if they purposely flew a bunch of airplanes, deliberately making as big a spectical as possible, to try and cover for the high strangeness earlier in the morning with the kids at school. So that there would be a disproportionate number of people that would come forward saying "ufos! Those people are daft! I saw the whole thing it was airplanes! Crazy people and their ufos!"

If you look at other cases like the Phoenix lights they did a similar thing. Where a major ufo incident occured earlier in the evening so they covered it up with an even bigger spectacle with military aircraft and flares.

I come from the perspective that 90 percent of ufos in the modern age are military assets some mundane others more exotic in nature. Thats been my personal experience anyways. So if these were military why on earth would they land them in a school field. I understand accidents and emergencies. But why test anything in such a location. To be fair sometimes they do test such things over large cities. I have a personal example of such back in 2014.

Makes one wonder if they indeed witnessed something paranormal.

As for life and painful memories. I feel ya. Its only recently that I've had any positive memories. I cant remember most of my childhood it was that traumatic. You've got a understanding friend here with me.

So Bally, what are your thoughts regarding the incident.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Thanks for sharing bally, I’m glad this case still garners interest.

One of the best cases imo.

They way I read it, the object was operating under anti-grav propulsion. Hard to believe we had that tech in 66. The sr71 blackbird was operating in 64, way ahead of its time, but nothing close to anti-grav.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Its not technically antigravity. A reduction of apparent mass and with it inertia. The actual mass doesn't really change though but another variable and thats what makes all the difference.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Good to see you back Bass..Heres something to look into.
Project SPARTA

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Its not technically antigravity. A reduction of apparent mass and with it inertia. The actual mass doesn't really change though but another variable and thats what makes all the difference.

All very interesting if true... but do you think we could have had the tech in 66?

Do you consider this case better than the Leveland case in terms of technology and evidence?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Yes i do. Unreliable, unsafe at the time, prone to mishaps, but yes.

As far as comparing the two cases i think they're both strong on their own merits. The evidence presented in each are different enough to not be compared to each other.

The texas case you linked is a thread worth rereading as it gives interesting accounts pertaining to its propulsion system. Lots of questions asked about why the ufos of that era knocked out electrical items the witness included but did no damage to the actual items. Its something worth pondering. As is the colour of light it was giving off and why. It is my opinion that due to technological innovation you wont see ufos shutting down electronics anymore. The texas case is better from an understanding the technology standpoint.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Interesting link blackfinger. Sent you a pm last week i dont think you ever saw. Nothing exciting in it, more of a checking up on you with the inclement winds that were going on.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

So Bally, what are your thoughts regarding the incident.

At the time, I guess I had no thoughts. 50 years on after seeing the documentaries, videos and write ups I can only imagine that something very unusual (not a flamin balloon) did appear, settle and rise again from in "The Grange". (Site of a Ufo playground).

Just getting back to the planes. The air traffic on the day I heard it was different than than the normal Cessna landings and takeoffs.

I'm sure somebody postured that the planes were perhaps RAAF training planes. en.wikipedia.org... Could have been.

Point Cook was just across the bay - RAAF Williams Point Cook base is the former home of the RAAF College including Officer Training School (OTS) and the RAAF Academy from 1961 to 1985, and is currently used for the Air Force element of the Australian Defence Force Gap Year Program.

RAAF Laverton wasn't far away either.

Mr. Greenwood described it as a round, silver object about the size of a car with a metal rod sticking up in the air.

According to Dr. McDonald, the teacher then told him five planes came and surrounded the object as more people began gathering to watch the scene before them.

“He called it the most amazing flying he had ever seen in his life,” Dr. McDonald said.

“The planes were doing everything possible to approach the object and he said how they all avoided collision he will never know.

“Every time they got too close to the object it would slowly accelerate, then rapidly accelerate and then move away from them and stop. Then they would take off after it again and the same thing would happen.”

This game of cat and mouse reportedly went on for about 20 minutes and by this time Mr. Greenwood said 350 children and staff were watching on.

Edit to link 2 from previous post.

Kind regards,

bally

edit on 3-3-2019 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2019 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2019 by bally001 because: to add links

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Some new (old) stuff.
HIBAL

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:08 AM
link   

For reference, there is another threadon this sighting. The title of the thread stirred up quite a bit of controversy. Maybe a little bit of click bait, but it was a good read.

"Yes i do. Unreliable, unsafe at the time, prone to mishaps, but yes. "

I cant say whether we had this tech in 66, and if we did, maybe it was prone to mishaps. But even so, I still find it almost unbelievable to think they allowed this experimental technology onto the campus grounds of a public school.

There were craft chasing it, flying around it, but that cuts both ways as far as whose tech it was. It could be they were trying to recover a failed experiment, but why test something we dont fully understand so close to civilians?

Whoever was responsible for it, it is amazing the public at large is unwilling to hold their govt accountable for an explanation. Like Hudson Valley(maybe military blimp) and the Phoenix Lights(maybe just A-10s), even with a mass sighting, the govt has been able to wait out the press and not give an answer. The only exception is Belgium where the govt actually openly took part in the investigation, kudos to them.
edit on 12-3-2019 by 111DPKING111 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join