It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portable Solar Panels for BOBS (question)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Recently my husband and I got serious about getting our BOB's together, and we're in the process of not only downsizing, but also preparing for an eventual Bug Out situation.

Now, as a rule, I travel exceedingly light even though I'm female - so my question is more directed for my geeky tech-loving husband.

He's a photographer, and insists no matter how bad the SHTF that he will be hauling around his camera to capture images of the aftermath for furture generations, etc. He's also insistant about taking along a few small portable/multiuse tech devices.

Try as I might to convince him these aren't the best things to worry about in a serious survival scenario - he is adamant about these few objects being part of his pack.

I'm on the hunt for any small, portable, fold up or easy to assemble solar panel charging units.

We've also discussed panels that could be affixed onto hats, jackets or packs and then removed for storage within our BOBS when not in use.

It doesn't have to be a high yield in regards to voltage, since I rationalize we'll have more than enough time on our hands to let said items charge when we aren't in transit.

Any of you folks out there familiar with any sites, companies or designs that we could put into use?

Anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
A lot of hand-crank/solar radios have adaptors for recharging moblie phones and MP3 players etc. You might be able to acquire a suitable charging adaptor for his devices.

However, if they're juice-guzzlers you might have to get something bigger, and that's out of my knowledge sphere.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Hey GE, why not get a SHTF solar back pack for all your portable power needs.

Solar Back Pack

Here's some solar and wind up solutions as well

An emergency kit and more

Hand crank charger

[edit on 19-3-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I believe you can get folding solar powered recharging kits from Maplins, E bay and Amazon these days

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237499202&sr=8-15

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Recently my husband and I got serious about getting our BOB's together, and we're in the process of not only downsizing, but also preparing for an eventual Bug Out situation.

Now, as a rule, I travel exceedingly light even though I'm female - so my question is more directed for my geeky tech-loving husband.

He's a photographer, and insists no matter how bad the SHTF that he will be hauling around his camera to capture images of the aftermath for furture generations, etc. He's also insistant about taking along a few small portable/multiuse tech devices.

Try as I might to convince him these aren't the best things to worry about in a serious survival scenario - he is adamant about these few objects being part of his pack.

I'm on the hunt for any small, portable, fold up or easy to assemble solar panel charging units.

We've also discussed panels that could be affixed onto hats, jackets or packs and then removed for storage within our BOBS when not in use.

It doesn't have to be a high yield in regards to voltage, since I rationalize we'll have more than enough time on our hands to let said items charge when we aren't in transit.

Any of you folks out there familiar with any sites, companies or designs that we could put into use?

Anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
They're gaining in popularity and hence falling in price and rising in quality.

www.brunton.com...

www.campinggeardepot.com...

Too expensive for me still.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Cabelas sells some nice ones that are ready to use and come in a variety of sizes and power out out. They are also low light so would still charge well during winter months.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Hey GE, here's a few I found on Amazon.

Amazon : Folding Solar Charger

Ama zon : Portable Solar Charger w/Inverter

Amazon : Roll Out Solar Charger

Yes, I realize they are pricey, but the fact that they are easily packed away as well as their powering ability is what I focused on, looking for them, for you.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Theres one drawback in the above posts that I can see with advocating low-wattage portable PV chargers only...no capacity to store 'spare sunlight' for when sod's law says it'll be most needed

Lithium Ion batteries can be salvaged from junked electronics such as laptops, or even bought as individual cells as-new to be wired-up with appropriate male-female connectors and voltage outputs by someone with electronics know-how, to power Digi-cam gear or other BoB electronics

..that route would save a bundle of bills on branded or sealed units and enable you to pay a lot less to a local electronics student struggling to make ends meet perhaps?

positive reciprocal enabling=survival as a community

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Thanks so much to everyone who answered up to this point!

I've taken a look at all the links you've provided, and as soon as I can tear my husband away from his video gaming, I'll be able to see what will fit into his personal aesthetics.

If I come across anything unusual or unique in my searches, I'll post them here....and if he happens to go the lithium ion battery route and cobbles something togther of his own design, I'll make sure we get an "instructable" up to share with everyone.

Thanks again, guys and gals! You ROCK!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Yeah it's cheaper to build your own.

Here's one I built earlier

i214.photobucket.com...

But even I'm tempted with the roll-up solargather.

They are light and would make an excellent day unit if you're away from home base sneaking around taking pictures.

I'm getting crazy images of your man crawling through bushes overlooking nutcase marauders. Him photoing them looting shops and committing mayhem!
You seem pretty switched on, not many survivalists, apart from NR are into the 'direct approach' so-to-speak.

Ok back to solartrons

Angling the fold-up solarpanels might be tricky to get max-rays buzzing in though.

My solartrons only drawback is it's heavy (10 kilo's) but the deep-cell battery is good for yonks and acts as a battery jump-starter when I'm away working.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another refinement is to use CDs or, better still, some platinum discs for amplifying the rays hitting the panels.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Lithium Ion batteries can be salvaged from junked electronics such as laptops, or even bought as individual cells as-new to be wired-up with appropriate male-female connectors and voltage outputs by someone with electronics know-how, to power Digi-cam gear or other BoB electronics

positive reciprocal enabling=survival as a community

I'd like to recommend NimH batteries for camera applications.

NimH batteries work well with cameras

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have two of the ones on the link above and the charge my camera, 2 way radios, CB radio and others.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Solio makes a small portable solar charger. It has recieved good reviews, and even the minimalist that I am, I am thinking of buying one.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Very nice. Thanks for the link to your project. When I was doing research earlier on portable pv panels most seemed to link to 12V. Then the question was: do I buy RV and boat stuff to run off of the 12V?

top topics

join