It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lebanon cleric bans electoral bribes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Lebanon cleric bans electoral bribes

www.bangkoknews.net

The leading Shiite cleric in Lebanon has issued an order that no bribes should be offered during the June parliamentary elections.

The religious edict was issued to lessen the practice of bribery, which is common in the corrupt political culture of Lebanon.

The Grand Ayatollah, Mohammad Hussain Fadlallah, in issuing his fatwa, said bribes which bought votes were a betrayal of the public.

The edict bans both the giving and taking of bribes.

The vote in Lebanon will be closely contested between the pro-Western parliament majority and a coalition led by Hezbollah, backed by Syria and Iran.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailystar.com.lb

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I just had to post this because I found it hularious. The fact that an official ban on electoral bribes is required.

OK, I admit I am not totally offay with the political processes of Lebanon but I thought bribary was frowned upon for most elections.

I am not so naive to think it doesnt go on everywhere to some degree, and is virtually standard practice in most parts of the world, but to have to make a statement saying is must be banned doesnt really fill you full of confidence in world politics.

www.bangkoknews.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join