It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police hunting 300 Irish terrorists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Police hunting 300 Irish terrorists

uk.news.yahoo.com

Police are hunting 300 dissident republican terrorists trying to destroy the Northern Ireland peace process...

Petrol bombs were thrown at police vans following the arrests as masked gangs took to the streets in Co Armagh...

Writing in the News of the World, Sir Hugh said: "In the past 18 months or so there have been at least 25 attempts by dissident terrorists to kill officers on and off duty...

"When they try to gain any political foothold through elections, they are wiped out by decent politicians committed to moving Northern Ireland forward in keeping with the will of the people.

"They are also very dangerous, like any cornered animal in its death throes."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Now while I don't think there is any conspiracy involved in the attacks.. the coverage is being sensationalized.

How can they say they are trying to put 300 'terrorists' behind bars? Who are these people supposed to be? How is someone who supports a cause without putting it into action a terrorist?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Quote from your source.

"But we must put this into perspective. These groups are small in number. The Real and Continuity IRA are disrupted, infiltrated and disorganised.

From what I read there, they are after a fringe group from within the IRA, they do not seem to be labeling the entire IRA or their political body.

There may indeed be a bit of sensationalizing the whole ordeal but I do not believe that they are doing this for some large shadey goal.

Lets just hope that cool heads prevail and we fix this with discussion.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by s4dreamlnd93

Lets just hope that cool heads prevail and we fix this with discussion.

When you see what happened yesterday after one of those IRA members was taken in for questioning (riots, petrol bombings etc), its hard to see how heads can be kept cool on both sides.

The thing is, as much as it may be called for.. if the UK bring in a military presence.. the situation is screwed

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yeah I think the whole 300 Terrorists is a bit much. Then again I think the word Terrorist has been used so much now that everytime it's printed were just beating a dead horse.

As far as the violence it seems to be very real, alot of civil unrest in Ireland right now and the economic crisis isn't helping.

I think the IRA really need to get a hold of their group right now and make sure they don't brand themselves as a nuisance in the eyes of other parties and law enforcement or we could have a witch hunt on our hands.

I dunno if the UK would send in a military presence, it would seem a bit much for this situation unless the violence really got out of hand.

Doesn't Ireland have it's own way of protecting itself? Forgive me if I am ignorant on the subject.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Doesn't Ireland have it's own way of protecting itself? Forgive me if I am ignorant on the subject.

~Keeper

Ireland does, yes, but this is Northern Ireland which is part of the UK. Operation Banner ended in 2007, which was where the British Army assisted the PSNI/RUC in keeping law and order. There is still a military presence, but no different than other garrisons on the mainland.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So are they gonna bomb civillian populated areas trying to find these terrorists, like what happens in Iraq and Palestine?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

What? No.

They'll do it the proper way, with Police arresting the criminals responsible. Only Americans think you can solve terrorism by bombing whole villages.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

~Keeper

Ireland does..

Northern Ireland on the other hand.. and the 1.75 million people therein is a part of the United Kingdom.. if the Republic of Ireland drafted in its armed forces.. it would be an invasion of the UK.

The IRA is a militarized republican group in that is looking to forcefully coerce the UK to remove its influence over the region and remove Northern Ireland from the Union in order for it to become a part of the Republic of Ireland.

The main reason given by the IRA splinter group for the upsurge in violence in the past fortnight is that the UK didn't remove their military presence since the agreement was reached around a decade ago that the IRA would ceasefire and Northern Ireland would get its own government/police force etc.

Its a messy messy situation thats awkward to explain and it goes back hundreds of years.

[edit on 15/3/09 by Dermo]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
So are they gonna bomb civillian populated areas trying to find these terrorists, like what happens in Iraq and Palestine?

This is a western country you are talking about.. governments don't go around bombing villages/towns/cities and killing civilians in our countries. It only politically correct to do that in non western countries..... supposedly

This is belfast.. capital of Northern Ireland.. Imagine bombing this in this day and age..

This is what happens when the cops bring suspected IRA members in just for questioning in Northern Ireland..

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
The main reason given by the IRA splinter group for the upsurge in violence in the past fortnight is that the UK didn't remove their military presence since the agreement was reached around a decade ago that the IRA would ceasefire and Northern Ireland would get its own government/police force etc.

operation Banner ended in 2007, although it was winding down long before that. The only miltary presence in NI is that of any normal country. The Army hasn't been on the streets for years. It's a lame excuse used by these bastards.

Originally posted by Dermo
Its a messy messy situation thats awkward to explain and it goes back hundreds of years.

Only if your a die hard republican. In the 1920's, when the Free State was declared, the North was given over to the republic but voted to stay with the union the very next day. In 1973, a plebiscite went 98% in favour of remaining part of the Union. Even now, 68% want to remain in the Union, about 20% couldn't give a toss and the rest want to join the Republic.

Republicans have to learn to accept the democratic process and that NI will never be part of the Republic. Most have and accept that self-rule with their own assembly is the best deal they will ever get.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I know man.. Im only trying to lay it out simply

join